Feature: Move variables between EventSheets

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily store, modify, read and manipulate colors with Color Variables!
  • Hi, I'd love to be easier to move a variable between EventSheets, because if I cut a variable, there's a big warning about SC2 deleting everything where that variable is in.

thanks

• Everything in that event sheet that uses it will remove it at that point correct? Seems like the warning makes sense to me, if the variable is not global, and is removed from the event sheet then any references to it will break. Or am I misunderstanding?

Unless you are talking about global variables, in which case there is no reason to move them between sheets because they are global. If you are worried about seeing them it may be easier for you just to have an event sheet dedicated to global variables.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have a Global variable in Layout01Sheet that I want to put in GlobalCode sheet to have it more organized. It's no biggie to make it all work, just a suggestion to make SC2 more better.

• But what is the actual issue? The error message popping up? Or does something break when you do the cut?

• If you cut the global variable, then paste it in the other event sheet, all the deleted references conditions and actions will reappear. I agree it's terrifying though, and would still prefer some other method like copying the variable then pasting it removes it from its previous location instead. Or maybe the method the windows file manager uses for cut and paste, where the file is still in it's original location with reduced opacity until it's pasted, basically resulting in a move function. If the user wants to delete the variable they can use delete instead of cut.

• Arima I've always been way too scared to do it! The warning message makes me chicken out every time!

• Yeah, I design all my projects with the globals in their own event sheet from the start to make sure I don't have to. :/

• Ditto! To much fear to ever attempt it. Doing it Windows Explorer style would be the best.

• Arima I've always been way too scared to do it! The warning message makes me chicken out every time!

I could fight a bear with my bare hands, but this popup dialog makes me a chicken!

• If you cut the global variable, then paste it in the other event sheet, all the deleted references conditions and actions will reappear. I agree it's terrifying though, and would still prefer some other method like copying the variable then pasting it removes it from its previous location instead. Or maybe the method the windows file manager uses for cut and paste, where the file is still in it's original location with reduced opacity until it's pasted, basically resulting in a move function. Ohh, thanks didn't know that

• I'll see if I can add a right-click -> move variable to event sheet option, to make the experience less terrifying. :)

• Please do so with instance variables as well. When a project gets a bit big, it's easy to later realize a variable should have been put in a family, but it's everywhere in the sheets - so annoying. ;)

• JoyfulDreamer: This has been more or less taken care of with the recent addition of the "Replace" feature in r123.

Be sure to check again the course of action Ashley depicts on how to replace instance variables to "family variables".

• No it hasn't. There's no command to replace an instance variable; And besides, that is a right click menu specific to event sheets. I'm taking about a feature added to the variable creation window to relocate a variable.

Also, I couldn't find that tutorial you mentioned.

• I don't know if this is still an improvement to come, but thanks a lot for explaining that you could cut/past elsewhere and the events would come back. Still, terrifying. I agree twice if it's even possible.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)