Event Sheet crashes C2

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
- This pack is suitable for shooting games, running games, platform games, and side-scrolling...
  • Every time I go to the event sheet and just click on the screen it freezes and/or crashes. I have a lot of unique sprites and I'm wondering if it's trying to load 'all' of them at the same time or something and then can't handle it. Anyone know what's up or why it could be doing this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Would it be possible to share your .capx, to see if it crashes for anyone else?

If not, then start looking at things like memory use (both C2 and system), number of layouts/event sheets open etc and try closing them all. What does C2 say for memory usage?

• 39.6mb download size and 65.7 memory use. I only had 3 layouts open (about 100 unique layouts in total) and I have just 1 event sheet, period. There's over 3,000 unique sprites. I should be able to reduce the number of unique sprites, but it does triple the number of unique text boxes. I know it would be less memory, but I don't know how much it matters that they're unique objects vs. the size of those unique objects.

• On first glance, It doesn't appear to be too heavy.

You don't have overly large background images do you?

How many events is in your Event Sheet?

Have you got access to any other PCs that you can install C2 on and test your game?

If it crashed on any other machine, then it's more than likely that it's something within the game that's causing it.

You would then need to narrow it down by chopping things out and testing (obviously making a backup or three first) until it stops crashing.

• Can you at least edit before it crashes?. Can you load a autosaved/backup copy. Sounds like it might be corrupted.

• DUTOIT

Breakpoints probably wouldn't be much use as it's crashing just clicking the event sheet.

• DUTOIT

Breakpoints probably wouldn't be much use as it's crashing just clicking the event sheet.

zenox98 Lol, yip, I completely missed read it, I did re-edit obviously whilst you were typing.

Another issue could be all those text boxes - text boxes are bad spritefont is good. lol

My best guess, is it is a little bit of a coding mess in there - lol.

3000 unique images - wow.

100 layers.

1 event sheet

and only 39.6mb download size and 65.7 memory use. Scratches head. Hard one to pin point.

1 event sheet is a no no,

You need a main event sheet that includes various sections (that you can then disable for bug testing etc)

• DUTOIT

Good points and good suggestions, good sir

• I only had 3 layouts open (about 100 unique layouts in total) and I have just 1 event sheet, period. There's over 3,000 unique sprites.

The eventsheet looks like a good place to start looking for improvements

My guess is your event sheet got a bit long

• DUTOIT is right! In my experience, having just 1 event sheet containing over 3,000 events caused weird loading delays each time I click on the sheet. Ashley advised me in another topic to split the events into separate sheets and it worked

• Jase00

He doesn't actually say how many events are on the Event Sheet - the 3000 refer to the number of sprites. But it's true that the number of Events is a probable suspect in this instance.

• It's a known issue that Windows itself (not C2) fails to produce icons if you have over 1000-2000. The Project Bar needs to show an icon for every unique sprite (or other object with an image). I find it hard to understand how you could legitimately need 3000 unique sprites. What exactly are you trying to do and why do you need so many?

• Thank you all so so much! This really helped me out. It looks like it's the event sheet and possibly having the objects tab open by default, but I won't know for sure until I can redo all this and see how it works. Does anyone know if it can mess anything up if you have a lot of event sheets? Let's say, if I had one for each layout.

• My personal preference is to create separate Event Sheets for certain elements such as movement, collision etc, then just 'Include' whichever sheets you need.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)