Efficiency - Memory Utilization & Possessor Utilization

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • I am about to venture into a new long project. Strategy Game. I will build sprites first.I was wondering if I could gather lots of good articles about making things right in relation Development Efficiency, Memory Utilization, Possessor Utilization.

I want to make things as Efficiency as possible. I need to learn more to do so. i want to know what to avoid and what is good.I want to build a strategy game for a mobile phone device. All the games I found are rubbish.I am wondering are they rubbish because that's the limit or can we make something better

Are developers making them to try reach the lowest level phones? I would aim much higher, requesting that purchases understand you need a good phone. I feel that's best.I want to push this high as I can. But I'm not sure where developers draw there lines,I'm sure I would draw mine higher at loss of revenue possibilities

I'm willing to dump the phone idea in replace for desktop if I cannot make what i want. What I want is more important

How do I monetize on a game. Strategy game looking at Command & Conquer Red Alert as reference. I want to make something at that level. How can I make some money if i make a good game at this level. Obviously take me all year till its hopefully good enough.Where should I aim.What should I look into. What do i need to know. I have no idea whats going on lol

Anyways any tips or articles I can view, please share here.I would be very grateful

• *moved to a more appropriate section than Education, which is for educators and schools.

• If you are just starting out on an ambitious project, the last thing you should be doing is drawing sprites. You could do some concept art, but if you start drawing sprites now, they will surely need to be redrawn when development starts.

I think it's pretty well accepted to start creating the mechanics using squares. If a game is fun with squares, it'll be fun with full graphics.

Also, don't expect it to only take you a year. Not to say you couldn't, but game development is a fickle beast. Depending on how ambitious you want to go, it could be 3 years or more.

Here are some links that could get you going in the right direction.

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=162801&p=985894&hilit=strategy+game#p985894

behavior-rex-boids_t126707

http://c2rexplugins.weebly.com/rex_moveto.html

Good luck!

• Before you start:

How many games have you made?

Why do you want to make it a mobile game? You can't expect much from the mobile market nowadays.

• [quote:np66ownh]

I'm willing to dump the phone idea in replace for desktop if I cannot make what i want. What I want is more important

That's probably your best bet. It's a waste of time to publish on Google Play, unless you have alot of money for marketing like the big companies otherwise your game will be left in the middle of nowhere. Yeah, App Search Optimization helps, but you have to continually optimize your keywords to even become irrelevant.

You got a better chance making a compelling desktop game and see if you can find some success with the Steam market.

If you want to make a long project, then building a mobile game with Construct 2 isn't recommend. Especially when building a native app and using native plugins for monetization, analytics, etc.

• zenox98 - I understand ,but im here now and have already got some great help, might as well leave it here for a bit longer and see how it goes

ryanrybot - Yes I could make with box's first and see how far I get, that makes perfect sense. Them examples look cool. Troops alignments will be a must, similar bits there I will learn. Ya it can be a long project, I don't mind. As Long as I keep progressing I cant see any reason stop.I just need to be sure I can get to where I want, make sure its possible. I have a good head for this, and am good at getting solutions online and understanding them, good at asking concise questions. Scirra has a amazing forum with help like you guys are displaying now. I intend at giving back as much as I can when I get better

glerikud - Only made a couple small games but recently learned a lot about construct and need a project for next year so might as well start something. So mobile market is hopeless then. I spent long time trying to find good strategy game on google play but all were crap. Was hoping to find something like the old red alert quality, didn't find anything, so was thinking would it be possible put something of that quality on a phone. Targeting Strategy game audience who would search through them all like i did and if good pass it on.

KazaaMafia - So what platforms can I build for with construct II? Cab I build for a desktop with construct II. I'm still a little confused with that. How to monetize with Construct II with Desktop if game is great?. I have to use construct as its what our course requires. So I'm stuck with it now anyways.I want to build a strategy game, and I want players to be able play each other. Its not single player. Multiplayer.Ill have to get that peer to peer yoke Scirra have.I have a PC and laptop so testing will be a bit easier. Multiplayer should be easier than creating complex AI Single player mission

• For game performance: Performance tips

For memory usage: Memory usage

• Here are my suggestions (don't take these an insult, I mean no offense nor to criticize your abilities):

glerikud - Only made a couple small games but recently learned a lot about construct and need a project for next year so might as well start something. So mobile market is hopeless then. I spent long time trying to find good strategy game on google play but all were crap. Was hoping to find something like the old red alert quality, didn't find anything, so was thinking would it be possible put something of that quality on a phone. Targeting Strategy game audience who would search through them all like i did and if good pass it on.

I'd suggest you make a game in half a year if you can afford the time for it. It's purpose would be to learn how to design and make strategy games with C2. Also before you get into a big project that could take years to complete, it's better to have some mid-lenght projects done.

So what platforms can I build for with construct II? Cab I build for a desktop with construct II. I'm still a little confused with that. How to monetize with Construct II with Desktop if game is great?.

Go to Scirra's homepage and scroll down to the "Build Once. Publish Everywhere." section. There you can find all the platforms you can export with C2. Keep in mind that all exports (except the HTML5) use 3rd party wrappers to make your game run on those platforms.

Probably the best way to monetize a desktop game is to upload it to Steam Greenlight. Currently the Greenworks plugin for Construct 2 (which lets you use the Steamworks API) is broken, but a new version should be released soon. You can follow the news about it in this topic:

...I want players to be able play each other. Its not single player. Multiplayer.Ill have to get that peer to peer yoke Scirra have.I have a PC and laptop so testing will be a bit easier. Multiplayer should be easier than creating complex AI Single player mission

Before you even try to make a serious project using multiplayer, make some small multiplayer games if you did not already. Networking can be a mess and it's sometimes harder to code right than making a good AI.

• Ashley - Thanks Ashley.Thats perfect.I will read them two link ks fully before I start anything

glerikud - Thanks man , i will do just that then. I'll aim at just getting a simple strategy game up finished for college and see how much I can get into it that works, see what I can learn. This sounds like a good plan and will risk little regret or wasted time. So as to get a good mark for the course and get experience. Ill then maybe upload for free on this website as to contribute. Ill use simple box sprites at first as advised earlier in this thread. I'll leave out the multiplayer then for now and work at AI for the game. Can't wait to get stuck in and dirty

• A nice way to go with your prototyping is to make a small, playable game (for yourself or not) that uses a few of the core systems you want. Individual systems are great, but the combination can sometimes be the tricky part. For instance, you could work on your pathfinding, layout abilities (try things like elevation, proper z-ordering, etc), and in-game events by making something simple like leading a group of units through to specific points and having something happen when you reach them. A few small things like that will give you complete ideas on where you want to go with it all, it would teach you everything you need, and you would be able to follow through with completing more bite-sized chunks of stuff. You could do a personal example strictly based on UI-handling and number management. Prototype your battles with just single units vs single units, then groups, squads, armies to make it all more manageable. Those three demos/prototypes for yourself wouldn't take incredibly long to achieve, but you would be FAR ahead of the curve in a couple months when you could start cranking on the real deal. It's much harder learning each of those individual things along the way.

Soon after those are done, and probably while you're working on implementing everything (quickly now!) into the main game, do some concept art tests to make sure your development art will line up with how you want the game to finally look. It would stink to get everything nailed down then add in art only to find it all looks wonky. Just do a bit of graphical planning alongside your systems implementations so you don't have to rework things again later.

And lastly, don't forget audio! You don't have to make it all until later, but you should have an idea in your mind about how you want to implement it all. IE, decide what cues what and possibly set up your functions sooner rather than later so you really can just plop in the audio files and be ready to go with some mixing.

It sounds like you're going about it logically, I'm just encouraging making sure your prototypes are truly useful creations that can possibly kill a few birds with that one stone. If it all sounds like a lot, though, it's because it is.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C-7 Thanks man.I had in mind to try make small bits of logic work first and work my way up slowly introducing smaller bits of logic one step at a time. And more units one step at a time. Thanks that was a good read

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)