Critical problem - program closes on startup

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • Hello.

I was hoping to get the special price but I've been having this problem that probably won't be resolved in time. I don't know if there's any way to get an extension on that special pricing due to this strange unique issue or not...

Here's the problem:

Every time I launch the program, it displays for a split second and then closes immediately. I do not believe there any errors being displayed, though if there are any inside the program itself, it all loads and closes so fast that I wouldn't be able to tell.

Short version:

Program just closes immediately after launching.. I can see the UI for a split second, can't really read or interact with anything before it closes.

The system I'm testing it on is running Windows XP SP3

• Are your graphic card drivers up to date ?

The UI of C2 relies on OpenGL. Try to make sure that your computer has the last version available. (In XP SP3 I believe it should but it never hurts to make sure)

Apart from this it's hard to tell what could make C2 go wrong.

• Everything's all good on that front.

• Hmm... sounds like this bug that was reported. Not sure what to do about it, since it's working for everyone else and there's no error message...

• Hmm... sounds like this bug that was reported. Not sure what to do about it, since it's working for everyone else and there's no error message...

I'm confused,

I *need* Internet Explorer to run SCIRRA's software?

I purposely gutted IE from this system. I don't want that on here, and if your program relies heavily on it, I probably will not purchase it. It's not very standard or open IMO.

Is there a work around?

• I don't think taking IE from yer computer it's a good idea. Not because of C2, I am talking in general.

• I don't think taking IE from yer computer it's a good idea. Not because of C2, I am talking in general.

people that like security and stability think it is.

• > I don't think taking IE from yer computer it's a good idea. Not because of C2, I am talking in general.

people that like security and stability think it is.

Isn't it enough to just not use it?

• adyo I'm not sure if this will work but it cant hurt. Make sure you have .Net Framework 4.0, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package installed on your PC.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package

• adyo I'm not sure if this will work but it cant hurt. Make sure you have .Net Framework 4.0, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package installed on your PC.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package

Thanks, I'm pretty sure it's all installed but I'll triple check

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Alright, despite the posts above,

I've installed IE and confirmed the other packages were all installed.

Same problem persists.

Any advice?

• I'm confused,

I *need* Internet Explorer to run SCIRRA's software?

I purposely gutted IE from this system. I don't want that on here, and if your program relies heavily on it, I probably will not purchase it.

Construct 2 only uses it to show the start page, which is rendered in HTML. It doesn't use it for anything else at all, it's just because IE is the only browser engine that can be assumed to always be installed.

How about this? Set the registry key 'HideStartPage' to the DWORD 1 in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scirra\Construct2\Preferences

Then restart Construct 2 and it should skip loading the start page entirely. If the start page is the problem, that should fix it.

• > I'm confused,

> I *need* Internet Explorer to run SCIRRA's software?

>

> I purposely gutted IE from this system. I don't want that on here, and if your program relies heavily on it, I probably will not purchase it.

Construct 2 only uses it to show the start page, which is rendered in HTML. It doesn't use it for anything else at all, it's just because IE is the only browser engine that can be assumed to always be installed.

How about this? Set the registry key 'HideStartPage' to the DWORD 1 in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scirra\Construct2\Preferences

Then restart Construct 2 and it should skip loading the start page entirely. If the start page is the problem, that should fix it.

You know what?

Even after installing IE, it didn't work.

But this suggestion worked.

I don't know what problem exists that causes that but thank you.

What kinds of things does the start page include? Links to start new files, tutorials and buy the full version I assume?

• Indeed, as well as the list of most recent opened projects and the status of your license (free/standard/business), all supposed to be tied up in a nice looking page.

But tbh, it is pretty much the same thing as the regular menu (top left) so you won't miss much.

Glad to hear it's finaly working.

• I was having the same problem. After updating Construct 2, Construct 2 would quit immediately each time I opened it, preventing me from running it at all. I didn't see any item in the registry for "HideStartPage",

so I just followed your instructions and created a new DWORD registry entry with a value of 1. I tried launching Construct 2 again, and now it works!

Thank you very much! That problem had prevented me from using Construct 2 for months. Much appreciated!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)