Construct3 should export to native.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Angry Zombies - HTML5 Game (Construct 2 & Construct3)
  • They promised to export to major appliances over two years ago.

Believe it or not, that actually has a better chance of happening.

Plus it wouldn't only work on a specific platform, and require rewriting all plugs to that language.

• interestingly enough - ios8 now supports everything, and ios9 even more - i think no wrapper is really needed for ios, just a good build.

and android is still shitty with no webgl support - but on android 6 i think they probably will have webgl support so we will be able to have games without some crazy ass wrappers. as much as i've seen currently cordova & crosswalk work good, but crosswalk is just +extra MBs which are gold for some.

• thanks for the answers!

yes i understand the perfomance thing is more about hardware, i dont have any problem from perfomance since long tho cause i had to read tons and tons of manuals about that.

but a good stuff about native is that we dont need an external wrapper to make our games to .apk or .api

• The wrapper that scirra uses is open source. If Ashley or the other devs found a problem in it, a bug that affects the export, they could indeed propose a patch. Since of it's open source nature, nw.js also gets bug fixes and development from other projects that rely on it.

The only case where a fork would be needed is when scirra's wrapper needs code that makes it compatible only with construct2 and breaks for the other communities.

You go solo on the wrapper and then what? Suddenly you have only scirra developers working on the wrapper and all that open source community gone - your wrapper is actually being developed slower than nw.js since much less people are working on it, only C2 community using it.

So I dont understand why so many folks want scirra to make another wrapper instead of using and contributing to an open source one.

To give up on that in exchange for what? What would be the advantage of having another wrapper project developed solely for construct2, that is close source?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm repeating myself, but whenever I turn on CC, when I'm in doubt if i want to continue on c2, i see it performing so smoothly. However C2 looks sharper, and doesn't crash almost ever. I still would like to see that same kind of smoothness in C2 and in its follow up thought.

• Good point. ^^ )

• I feel scirra should have a direct collaboration with Intel or ludei for a seemless direct export.

• really tired of repeating it all

I believe a stickied post or a blog post would help here?

I mean it's obvious for you, and for forum regulars like me and others here, but many new users have never read the other posts, or at least they pretend not to. A sticky could alleviate that, I think.

• As far as i see this is not a request for a native export, rather a Scirra controlled wrapper.

So what are people asking for here, a native exporter or for us to take control of the third party wrappers? Those are very different cases. Well, for NW.js, I think Intel have 1-2 people working on it full time. I've heard in some cases it can take literally hours to build Chromium, which must make it a slow and frustrating development cycle. So it's nice that Intel are doing this for free! If they ever stopped, it's open source, so us or anybody else could pick it up, or there are other alternatives out there like Electron that we could look in to. Also the biggest problem NW.js had recently was the janky v-sync issue, and that was caused by a bug in Chromium itself, not NW.js. So whoever happens to be developing NW.js wouldn't have affected that.

android is still shitty with no webgl support

Chrome for Android has supported WebGL since late 2013. Android 5.0+ supports it in the system webview so you don't need Crosswalk. Crosswalk exists solely for Android 4.0-4.4 compatibility, once those versions are out of use then we can drop it and its filesize overhead as well. In fact you can already publish without the filesize overhead today by targeting Android 5.0+ only. However especially given that Google recently increased the APK size limit to 100mb, using Crosswalk is well worth it for the compatibility with 4.0-4.4.

The main problem with WebGL on Android is that Android devices often have poor quality drivers that are so susceptible to crashes that their GPU gets blacklisted. However the number of Chrome for Android phones that don't support WebGL halved between June 2014-June 2015. So it's already improving quickly.

• > android is still shitty with no webgl support

>

Chrome for Android has supported WebGL since late 2013. Android 5.0+ supports it in the system webview so you don't need Crosswalk. Crosswalk exists solely for Android 4.0-4.4 compatibility, once those versions are out of use then we can drop it and its filesize overhead as well. In fact you can already publish without the filesize overhead today by targeting Android 5.0+ only. However especially given that Google recently increased the APK size limit to 100mb, using Crosswalk is well worth it for the compatibility with 4.0-4.4.

The main problem with WebGL on Android is that Android devices often have poor quality drivers that are so susceptible to crashes that their GPU gets blacklisted. However the number of Chrome for Android phones that don't support WebGL halved between June 2014-June 2015. So it's already improving quickly.

yes i know.. i wish it was somehow able to get rid of crosswalk for 4.0-4.4 version of android, because they are like 70% of droids, and 25% is >5.0, and all together that makes 95%. which would be a good coverage. But in the end it seems that you have to use crosswalk to cover the 70% of crosswalk and from what i've heard.. or read here on.. performance seems to be bad :/

well gotta try it anyway some time later...

and yes i know that after some time all the droids will be 5.0+ and we will be able to use system webview without crosswalk.

• The wrapper that scirra uses is open source. If Ashley or the other devs found a problem in it, a bug that affects the export, they could indeed propose a patch. Since of it's open source nature, nw.js also gets bug fixes and development from other projects that rely on it.

The only case where a fork would be needed is when scirra's wrapper needs code that makes it compatible only with construct2 and breaks for the other communities.

You go solo on the wrapper and then what? Suddenly you have only scirra developers working on the wrapper and all that open source community gone - your wrapper is actually being developed slower than nw.js since much less people are working on it, only C2 community using it.

So I dont understand why so many folks want scirra to make another wrapper instead of using and contributing to an open source one.

To give up on that in exchange for what? What would be the advantage of having another wrapper project developed solely for construct2, that is close source?

Thanks for clearing that up!

• > really tired of repeating it all

>

.......many new users have never read the other posts, or at least they pretend not to. A sticky could alleviate that, I think.

There is always search

Although the amount of times a user says they have searched and found nothing, and I yet find it straight away, beggars belief

• Although the amount of times a user says they have searched and found nothing, and I yet find it straight away, beggars belief

We are reaching a point where it would probably be less work to just write a native runtime instead of answering all the "we want a native export!"-posts

(Yes, yes, I'll show myself out..)

• not really. like ashley said - if you build your apk / game for 5.0 or higher android which has a system webview that works good and supports WEBGL and so on... your games will work just fine. if you want less then 5.0 you have to use crosswalk which burdens performance by some weight and a bit of extra space. but it covers over 70% of androids, and 25% are 5.0+

sooner or later all are going to be 5.0 + so it's just a matter of time. creating a native export could take about 2-3 years of coding, also GLHF with compatibilities and other inner craps that would arise then

i'd stick with crosswalk, just make your game good and watch on the pitfalls and you're good to go. ios and windows phone are good to go so....

and nw.js just got upgraded, and soon (When it leaves alpha) hopefully will work perfectly and performance is already 30% better

• Ashley close my post, please, i dont want u to get distracted because i need that r218 (that iad plugin) and everyone nows construct3 wont export to native so the question was answered, thanks everyone.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)