Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Cocoon.IO is pretty damn awesome.

Build your game, get the new Cocoon Plugins, do a few tweaks with your game by following the resources on this website: https://shatter-box.com/ , and upload to the cloud. When you've got a Key, Cocoon automatically Signs and Aligns the APK. Then all that's left to do is to Build the APK and upload it to Google Play.

A lot of people get frustrated with it, but it's just a matter of learning how to use it. I did find it difficult on finding out what the hell I was suppose to do to get a working APK but once I figured it out, it was smooth sailing from there.

Lastly, I cannot believe that people are actually pissed about Splash Screen. Is the $500 price to remove a image that shows up for about 3 seconds too much? Yes, yes it is. Oh most definitely. But it's only about 3 seconds. Come on guys.

• Cocoon.IO is pretty damn awesome.

Build your game, get the new Cocoon Plugins, do a few tweaks with your game by following the resources on this website: https://shatter-box.com/ , and upload to the cloud. When you've got a Key, Cocoon automatically Signs and Aligns the APK. Then all that's left to do is to Build the APK and upload it to Google Play.

A lot of people get frustrated with it, but it's just a matter of learning how to use it. I did find it difficult on finding out what the hell I was suppose to do to get a working APK but once I figured it out, it was smooth sailing from there.

Lastly, I cannot believe that people are actually pissed about Splash Screen. Is the $500 price to remove a image that shows up for about 3 seconds too much? Yes, yes it is. Oh most definitely. But it's only about 3 seconds. Come on guys.

I think the people that were pissed off are the same old heads that used CocoonJS, because that splashscreen was hell with CocoonJS. It would bug and stay on the screen for like 1-2 minutes before going to the actual game or crashing depending on your game.

• i publish three game now and all of them i spend over 22 hrs to 3 days trying to build it on cocoon.io it compile the game yes BUT IT PUT TOO MUCH BUG the compile .apk file. I am only use 3 plugin Appodeal, Cranberry Game and Cranbery pow mang. It only take me 5 to 10 minute to build it on Intel Xdk with the same 3 plugin with NO BUG in the compile .apk

i only waste all those time just becasue i want my file size to be smaller i personally think Intel is stress free to use over cocoon.io

for example

in my game i have button press wait 0.10 second goto layout

when build on cocoon.io the wait time is not 0.10 sec but 0.40 up to 2.0 second

when build on intel no bug, it wait 0.10 second an goto layout

i yet to get appodeal to work on cocoon and it work on intel

i can go on and on

I JUST WISH I CAN GET MY .apk file small down from 20+ mb

hope construct 3 can do that

• I tested the Cocoon.IO app with both of my games, one is ultrasmall the other is massive. The small one didn't work at all in Webview+ and Canvas+ worked but it isn't giving me a boost in performance at all.

Same RAM usage same everything. I'm not sure if there is any extra benefit for me to not use the old CocoonJS for the smaller game.

• I really like CocoonIO but I've yet to finish a project using it. I got great performance on a couple tests and one of them was a bit physics heavy. In the end it all comes down to optimization in your own projects, I think.. As long as you avoid using a lot of layers and "every tick" blocks, you should be fine.

Anyway, CocoonIO is limited to only 2 free apps so you'd have to pay $14.90/month to get at least 10 projects on it, but I'm not sure if you can just erase old projects after you've exported them to .apk then upload new ones.

edit- btw I heard that Android 6.0 would make it a lot easier to get games onto it, but I have no idea how or what changed to make it so. I think I've read that a couple times in the forums but I never looked too much into it.

• Anyway, CocoonIO is limited to only 2 free apps so you'd have to pay $14.90/month to get at least 10 projects on it, but I'm not sure if you can just erase old projects after you've exported them to .apk then upload new ones.

Yup, that's the weird thing about it, you can do exactly that. I tested many of my previous built games to get an idea of the performance. I have yet to see any restrictions or limitations on that part. I guess the only issue might be convenience, where we can just upload a new zip file and have all our settings saved, but honestly that is something we can set in about 1 minute, so I think it should be an issue.

• I think.. As long as you avoid using a lot of layers and "every tick" blocks, you should be fine.

i think that is the problem too seems like it only work with about one layout game with about 40 simple events

• If Cocoon.IO proves to be a good alternative, I'd also like to see Scirra making it offically supported as an export platform ( while keeping the XDK support as well). It's safer to stand on more legs.

• Tested out the new CocoonIO and it definitely gets a much better speed for my short mat bowls app. Annoying thing is I used the PeerJS plugin to make online matches so this isn't compatible. Shame as otherwise it could be a viable alternative now. XDK seems to get slower for me with newer releases =(

Anyone using the new CocoonIO know how to fix the screen scaling issue?

Thanks,

• What keeps me away from using Cocoon.io is the lack of a loading screen, immediately after their splash screen. A completely black screen for several seconds gives the user the impression that the game has crashed and in my opinion it looks really bad. Until this get solved I will continue to use the IntelXDK path.

• Tested out the new CocoonIO and it definitely gets a much better speed for my short mat bowls app. Annoying thing is I used the PeerJS plugin to make online matches so this isn't compatible. Shame as otherwise it could be a viable alternative now. XDK seems to get slower for me with newer releases =(

Anyone using the new CocoonIO know how to fix the screen scaling issue?

Thanks,

Wait, Cocoon still have this issue? If so, then that's a problem for me...

• Hey there, Mayfly

Have you looked at this?: https://shatter-box.com/knowledgebase/c ... ing-fixes/

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I haven't had any problems with scaling.. The only problem I did face was the letterbox mode was left aligned.. setting the parallax of X on all layouts to 100 fixed it though perfectly.

• Hi, I looked at those and tried all three. Maybe I'm doing something wrong as it still comes up wrong. Game has a bar underneath which glitches with pay off the graphics from the later above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvoezgz5ti99i ... 2.png?dl=0

• If Cocoon.IO proves to be a good alternative, I'd also like to see Scirra making it offically supported as an export platform ( while keeping the XDK support as well). It's safer to stand on more legs.

If I recall correctly, it actually use to be

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)