Complex adventure games

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • OlivierC, Bravo - seriously that is seriously awesome. I immediately thought I was playing Indiana Jones (Lost Ark, Atlantis, etc)

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

• OlivierC

jayderyu

Excellent work and example there. I also agree with you guys, definitely for PC development, C2 is only limited by your talent.

• Thank you guys. Like said, I don't feel limited by C2 for PC. For mobile it's a different story. For instance, this adventure project would simply not work with cocoon or ejecta as it relies heavily on the XML plugin to load the game data. If fact it's kinda lame, the reason I went with a complex dynamic scene loading rather than having each scene stored in a different layout, was to get around the memory limitations of mobile devices. Turned out I introduced a new problem with XML.

Overall, I have two construct projects: a private one that I use to build the scenes and generate the xml file, and a public one, the engine, which uses the xml data to rebuild the scene.

I also created my own scripting system, also relying on xml. I just create my own script script in a text editor, then each action trigger a script. Scripts can be as simple as one line of dialogue, or more complex sequence of event, like when you try to look at the sky in the main room (character walk to window, says something, pause, turn around and finish his sentence)

The inventory works, I tested adding, removing objects and filling several "pages", the "up" and "down" arrows work. I just need to implement the actual "pick up" action, this is the next step

You can also take a look at my first prototype which was not an actual clone of the first monkey island but had an interface more like the one of Full Throttle and monkey island 3 (right click to bring up menu and inventory) : http://soletme.free.fr/PointNClick/

The particularity of this one is that it supported mouse/keyboard/controller/touch seamlessly, meaning you could start playing with the mouse as a regular point and click, then pick up your controller and move the player with the stick or use your keyboard arrows/awsd at any time without switching any option

I should get back to it sometimes next month, right now I'm working on my portfolio

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you guys. Like said, I don't feel limited by C2 for PC. For mobile it's a different story. For instance, this adventure project would simply not work with cocoon or ejecta as it relies heavily on the XML plugin to load the game data. If fact it's kinda lame, the reason I went with a complex dynamic scene loading rather than having each scene stored in a different layout, was to get around the memory limitations of mobile devices. Turned out I introduced a new problem with XML

Do you need XML?

You could save data in json and import it using ajax and load it into your flavor of Dictionary or Array.

• OlivierC You won't have any issues with memory management with Intel XDK, its amazing actually, the only lacking feature atm is AdMob and IAPs which are coming soon (hopefully very soon!)

And Ashley is working with Ejecta to give it proper memory management, so soon we'll have both iOS and Android exporters that can handle bigger games great.

• Yes I know XDK an Ejecta are getting better everyday, but when I started working on this project, around october, cocoon was the only option. Since that's how it's implemented now, "if it ain't broke, don't fix fit"

• so, as I read through those replies, .. If I use Construct 2 for my complex point&click adventure game, I am going to have hard time to get it work on other platforms, it requires additional scripts/codes/plugins...etc :/

My game has 2048>6144 scrolling images with layers and if it would have issues with memory or lacking speed... I should be aware of it. By saying that, I just dont wanna learn something, which needs much bigger coding knowledge, because I am not a programmer.

• paprik123456

Your going to have a problem making any P&C game on anything but a Desktop platform. Even many of the other suggested engines either don't do mobile or are massivly feature stripped for mobile.

As for images. Even for desktop NEVER EVER go above 2048x2048. Not enough graphics cards can handle images larger than that. If your image is larger. Slice them apart and place them next to each other.

However if you want the easiest, but knowingly limited feature route then I suggest using another engine. At some point I plan to strip and clean The Blue Code to an adventure game template and engine. But until that time C2 needs some elbow greese for P&C.

Early in development TBC was running sweet for for mobile games. however TBC demo was never meant to be mobile. Instead the game was going to go mobile after a full game PC release. Now I still did mobile controls, but didn't highly managed resources.

Now saying that. Because this was a one month project no one but me was concerned with the game running on mobile. So the game got hit by a handful of massive resource hogs. Some animators were sending character animations that were 3000x3000 per frame and there were 200 frames... double framed classical style. So in fact there were 2 frames per position. I spent easily a day cutting the frames down to 1/3, resizing the character to 200x500(still could go smaller, but I got complain from the product manager. It was his project).

The game also received a massive dump of sound effects. I really suggest for TBC putting on some good head phones. Turn up the volume and spend some time in each area listening to the sounds. They ended up using half the game total size. Really listen to the sounds of Lisa walking from grass to stone, from carpet to stone. Those muffling effects are reverb files, heck the construction files also used reverb files..

So TBC ran on mobile at a solid 30fps ish until the sounds were loaded.... then CocoonJS couldn't it anymore ... oh yeah. And Glitch also put on FPS drop, but it didn't matter at that point as all the sounds were being implement.

So except for memory issues. TBC didn't really have a problem with devices from late 2012 and including 2013 devices. My Acer A500 was a Tegra2 and the game ran pretty well on an iPad2. However my iPodTouch 4g didn't do so well

I however did avoid XML and instead used JSON and a custom in game scripting langauge.

• Have a look at Visionaire Studio. The recent version 4 adds Mac editor and player and iOS and Android player

• Visionaire Studio looks very promising, even the price 35 euros if you sell the game under 15euros sounds cool. It says it doesn't require super programming skills, which doesn't sounds bad, but later on I will need coder anyway. Version 4 is beta, but I will watch some tutorials to see how complicated it is.

• most of these things are possible to make in C2 so if you aim for making a adventure game then I can tell it is worth to learn using C2. I myself attempt to make a adventure game but for now I work only on the basics for creating it

• Miu3> I could use C2 ,but I have 3D characters with lots of animations. There would be so much sprite sheets to create lots of animated variations to get smooth motion. Will see.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)