C2 Metroidvania Style Beatemup performance problems?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • I'd like to start to make a metroidvania style beatemup game for PC and possibly OUYA, but I'm afraid of performance problems with using C2. For one, I have an artist that hand draws high resolution images, and we're wanting to have multiple high resolution backgrounds objects (think of Dust An elysian tail, and Guacamelee as a quality/resolution reference).

Dust layouts for, example, can stretch almost 6-7 screen widths for an entire layout/level with hand drawn art. Would C2 be able to handle that without memory or other hardware issues?

http://www.noogy.com/dust/dust_tease01.jpg

We'll be adding lighting effects and other sword of effects C2 utilizes. Most of my experience is that Mobile performance is bad, I'd like to make sure PC won't have this problem. The only other problem is the way it's controlled, is requires a controller due to certain in game mechanics.

Are these problems I won't have to worry about on PC that only affect mobile devices? If so, that still means OUYA could have memory problems

• Those are composted multi-part backgrounds in the games you speak of, not high resolution images.

• but they seem to have a lot of distinct platforms for when you're going up/down as well. Like each platfrom object can be 1024x576 but he has hand drawn tons of variations of them. Also, the ground that stretches across the whole level looks like one giant hand drawn road.

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/225543-Dust-Header.jpg

http://www.guiamania.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x281.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_dust_ ... 0_0008.jpg

• bscarl88

you could ask sqiddster is it worth to start doing serious+big game in Construct 2...

• One thing I will say is do a comprehensive performance test of the 'worst-case scenario' at a high resolution, with lots of particles, layers etc. This won't test the CPU but at least you'll know if the browser can handle it on the GPU side.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • sqiddster : good idea, It will be a native PC export, as I'd like to get it on steam. Are there any tutorials on how to effectively design a 2.5D beatmup like castle crashers, golden axe, streets of rage esque?

• Its doable, it just requires a large amount of planning.

More so if you know nothing of programming, or game design.

Obligatory John Snow.

• I've been doing game design and development for about 3 years now and have a few released apps. I'll be able to handle character attacks, combos, blocking, dodging etc. The only thing I haven't done is predefined levels and layouts as all of my games have either been small arcade ones or infinitely proceduraly generated games

Nesteris are you saying it's a bad idea to do it in C2? I'd like to do it in Unity, but it's a lot for a one man programming team to do, which Is why I would like to do it in C2 to take away some overhead, and I've become pretty darn good at C2 as well.

• Hi ya,

My brother and I are making an adventure game with high resolution images (spreading across several layers) and a heck of a lot of sprite animations and at least for now it's working very well.

Layouts are about 10k and we're using multiple effects covering the whole screen at all times. In regards to animations, right now we've got 2 characters always on screen with about 35 animations each (and growing). Current estimated image memory is about 200-350mb per layout.

I have been trying to regularly optimize or at least not go overboard with different things but at the moment, this is all running in 1080p, 60fps on dedicated graphics and 40-50fps on my brothers Surface Pro 2, which has got an Intel HD4400 graphics card. I don't want to jinx anything but I'd say so far it seems possible.

If you'd like to see more about the game itself you can find info, screens and videos at http://yondergame.com/.

• Thanks for the info and tips Nesteris!

purplemonkey

Wow, that looks fantastic! That's in C2 right? Would you mind if I bumped questions off of you some time?

Do each of those videos take up the whole 10k layout? and does each 10K Layout have fully wide 10K hand drawn backgrounds and backdrops? They look like huge scrolling images which is my biggest concern

• Thanks for the info and tips Nesteris!

purplemonkey

Wow, that looks fantastic! That's in C2 right? Would you mind if I bumped questions off of you some time?

Do each of those videos take up the whole 10k layout? and does each 10K Layout have fully wide 10K hand drawn backgrounds and backdrops? They look like huge scrolling images which is my biggest concern

Thank you! Yes, it's in C2. The videos do not show a whole 10k layout, since it's displayed in 1080p it's about 5-6 screen widths per layout.

We are most definitely not just throwing in 10k width images in the layouts. What we do is draw the whole layout using separate software and then output it split into smaller images. But we try to be aware as much as possible of where and what we can optimize. For example, the foreground in our game is mostly blurred and so the foreground images were saved in 50% size and then doubled in size ones placed in C2. So it is best to always be aware of the parts that really need to be sharp and the ones that aren't as important.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)