Asset Store Experiment

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
100+ sprites for spooky / creepy game. Ideal for Platformer & Metroidvania games or Halloween.
  • EDIT: I removed the data for now, because it was being misinterpreted and there wasn't really anything useful to present yet. It'll all make more sense when there's more meaningful data, so I'll hold off on posting details until later. Cheers.

Hi all. I'm calculating the amount of time and money invested into my entries into the new asset store-- hoping to shed some light on the topic. I have a lot of relatively expensive gear, which means the total figure is going to be negative for a while (or indefinitely). I'm omitting anything not directly related (for example, I'm not listing my computer, my laptop, or any furnishings as 'gear', since I would have them even if I didn't write music). I'll update it at several points, most likely once per month until a postmortem is warranted. Cheers and hope this is helpful to other artists.

• Not sure why you put your gear here, cause it's irevelant for that kind of calculation. All what is matter is how many time did you spend on this and what rate per hour you want to charge for your time.

Nobody cares if you made your music with Live, Reason, Fruity Loops or good old Impulse Tracker. Same with graphics, potential client do not need (and usually want) to know if you are using Paint or photoshop. What really matters is final product.

Reading your list I assume that if I would want to hire you for the job, I would need to pay you 3000$ and then 75$ for every hour you spend working for me.

• Not sure why you put your gear here, cause it's irevelant for that kind of calculation. All what is matter is how many time did you spend on this and what rate per hour you want to charge for your time.

Nobody cares if you made your music with Live, Reason, Fruity Loops or good old Impulse Tracker. Same with graphics, potential client do not need (and usually want) to know if you are using Paint or photoshop. What really matters is final product.

Reading your list I assume that if I would want to hire you for the job, I would need to pay you 3000$ and then 75$ for every hour you spend working for me.

Not the case at all. I'm simply tracking the figures and it doesn't have anything to do with what my rate would be since I wouldn't need to spend another $3000 on gear to work on a custom piece for someone. I included the gear because I couldn't make my music without it-- if I used some other gear or software, the music would be different--- for better or worse. That information is there for people who are curious (usually other musicians). When people hear it, they often ask what I'm using.

My rate for custom/exclusive work is $30 per composed minute, by the way, which takes me between 1-2 hours to complete depending on revisions, etc.

• Hi all. I'm calculating the amount of time and money invested into my entries into the new asset store-- hoping to shed some light on the topic. I have a lot of relatively expensive gear, which means the total figure is going to be negative for a while (or indefinitely). I'm omitting anything not directly related (for example, I'm not listing my computer, my laptop, or any furnishings as 'gear', since I would have them even if I didn't write music). I'll update it at several points, most likely once per month until a postmortem is warranted. Cheers and hope this is helpful.

GEAR:

--------

$100 - Alesis Q49

$500 - NI - KS2

$200 - NI - KF1

$600 - ION / Alesis DM6

$400 - NI Maschine MK1

$600 - Monitors / IEMs / Amp

$600 - Software (Ableton / VSTs / etc.)

-----------------

$3000 total

PACK: rez.fd.01

20 hours composing / editing / mastering

2 hours marketing / publishing

-----------------

22 total hours

(sales TBD)

PACK: rez.ds.01

17 hours composing / editing / mastering

1 hour marketing / publishing

-----------------

18 total hours

(sales TBD)

Current results (August 9, 2014 - Pre-opening)

-$3000

40 hours

-----------------

(-$75 / hour)

Total number of sales required to break even: 254

Hey, you didn't say what the experiment is about - what are you trying to prove with it?

• This doesn't look like an experiment. This looks more like a budget and revenue examination. I think this is a valid business plan. However what is the purpose of sharing? Megatronix has a point. This is standard operational start up costs. Are you looking for insights?

• Hey, you didn't say what the experiment is about - what are you trying to prove with it?

Not trying to prove or disprove anything, just thought a sort of case study might be helpful. I guess experiment is the wrong word. After thinking about it a bit more, I realized It's too early to get any useful info, really, so it was a mistake to post so soon. My apologies.

This doesn't look like an experiment. This looks more like a budget and revenue examination. I think this is a valid business plan. However what is the purpose of sharing? Megatronix has a point. This is standard operational start up costs. Are you looking for insights?

Yep, you're right. Experiment is the wrong word. I'm always looking for insights-- although there's not much to talk about yet. I could have spent a fair bit less on equipment, but it is a hobby I enjoy so there's an intangible value there as well. Thanks for the feedback.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • johnrazor It's all right. No need for apology as nothing bad had happened.

I'm still a start up myself , but fell free to ask me anything and I might be able to help out.

"I could have spent a fair bit less on equipment" - you've spent peanuts. In any industry that involves technology, you get what you pay for. Best gear and plugs are so expensive not without a reason. They get your things done quicker and in better quality.

• First off, sounds, and graphics aren't that recyclable. In other words no one wants to use assets someone else has used.

Its possible to do some generic stuff sure, but the only way to make a living will be freelance.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)