Are you interested in a fighting game tutorial?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A well commented fighting game template to learn from or use as a base for your own game!
  • Hey, nice work. Keep it up.

• haha I found a funny thing... take the payer2 to the right wall (pressing right arrow), move player1 close to him... make player2 jump and then player1 perform a strong shoryuken (D-S-D_O)....

player2 will be sent to the moon and never come back hahahaa

• haha that's funny, I see that!

how do you get the player box to follow the shoryuken animation? so he can still be attacked while doing the shoryuken

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Will have a status of how to do this or will release the capx?

• haha that's funny, I see that!

how do you get the player box to follow the shoryuken animation? so he can still be attacked while doing the shoryuken

bscarl88, your question made me realize a bug on my collision system, I'll check that... in theory you'll be able to hit the character performing the shoryuken when he is falling down, or from behind, but rigth now that bug is not allowing to do that

• Will have a status of how to do this or will release the capx?

urbano yes!!, I only started the topic to see if people were really interested on the tutorial.. As soon as I have a working base engine I'll start recording video-tutorial.. I have to check some collision issues and add Character-selection... I'll let more experienced users to deal with the Ai since that is not my field of expertise.

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll be releasing the first one.

• > haha that's funny, I see that!

>

> how do you get the player box to follow the shoryuken animation? so he can still be attacked while doing the shoryuken

bscarl88, your question made me realize a bug on my collision system, I'll check that... in theory you'll be able to hit the character performing the shoryuken when he is falling down, or from behind, but rigth now that bug is not allowing to do that

Couple questions and suggestions.

SUGGESTION:

What about when he is performing it. I have a weighted system that allows me to say 1 attack is weighted higher than another. That way if two people perform an attack at the same time, one of them has to prevail.

QUESTIONS

When he is doing his shoryuken, are you using path finding to make him follow an uppercut motion?

And are you making his player box follow the animation diagonally up with the shoryuken?

• > Will have a status of how to do this or will release the capx?

urbano yes!!, I only started the topic to see if people were really interested on the tutorial.. As soon as I have a working base engine I'll start recording video-tutorial.. I have to check some collision issues and add Character-selection... I'll let more experienced users to deal with the Ai since that is not my field of expertise.

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll be releasing the first one.

Cool, I really liked, congratulations dev.

I'm awaiting this tutorial.

Big Hug, here in Brazil

• bscarl88 you mean like the old Killer Instinct rock/paper/scissors?.. actually my system relies only on who performed first but since I don't have 4 hands to play with the keyboard I haven,t considered that situation... I haven't even considered hadoukens collisioning with each other hahahaa.. ready to fix it

not path finding.. just plattform movement.. I'm trying to make it simple (although it's very complicated) so only basic plugins, so far only sprites, plattform movement and tiled backgrounds (health bars). also the animations/motion respond tho the strenght of the attack during the shoryuken

I'm still fixing the collisions bugs

• Here's an idea for an AI structure if you change your mind. I did a 2D fighter AI in a different programming language ages ago, and if I remember right it worked something like this:

The AI fighter has an instance variable called Decision and another timed variable called Decision_Timer. These get checked every tick. When the Decision_Timer reaches zero, it means that it's time for the AI to decide what to do. When that happens, the function Make_Decision gets called.

Make_Decision checks the distance between AI and the opponent, and then sets a course of action that suits the situation into the variable Decision. For instance if the distance is close the AI might want to throw the opponent, so Decision gets set to AI_Throw. If the distance is about 150 pixels or something he might want to either throw a hadoken or try a flying kick, so Decision gets set to AI_Hadoken or AI_Flykick_M by a random value.

When Decision is set, Decision_Timer also gets set to countdown 2-3 seconds. If the AI can't pull off the attack he decided on before the timer runs out, Make_Decision is called again. While Decision_Timer is running, it's also good to check if the player opponent suddenly decides to jump or something so the AI doesn't pull an attack that no longer makes sense.

Let me know if you change your mind about tackling the AI and I'll see if I can dig out the source code to explain it better.

• thanks ErekT, I 've also read something about AI for fighting games, and already though on something similar to your suggestion, the tricky part is to make a "tree" of infinite (or almost) possible actions, and also transform all my code to functions so the AI will take on the same code of player2.

The only problem I have is time, I have some papers to work on, and for the next 2 weeks I won't be able to make big progress so I prefer to publish the tutorials in the meantime..

I think I just finished the basis of the engine, and probably during the weekend I'll update the demo, so you can look for bugs before I start recording the videos... (finally a Ken vs Ryu battle!!!)

• Nice, this thread could help everyone who wants to make fighting games

• I'm interested

• Sign me up for the tutorial as well!

• jayderyu ErekT Eisenhans NotionGames devMidgard danny

bscarl88 Joannesalfa BluePhaze tyfricko totoe ShabbyCat kenli

urbano shinkan ArcadEd baterism shinkan

Adyeniel VonBednar

Hi everybody, it's almost 4:00 am in my country but you're a great audience and you deserve this: the final update(final features) for the basic fighting game engine. hahaha

Coding AI might take a lot of time and effort so I'll start with the videos in the meantime.(soon)

There are still some gameplay issues like cornering the opponent and hitting him while he is on the air (you will win the round as far as he doen't touch the floor), but I'm tired..zzz

The first video will cover basic mechanics and animation set-up so there is still time to fix bugs, specially on my collision system so please play with it a little and post feedback, try to get a friend or relative to help with P2, because i can't have a "real" fight (you know, I only got 2 hands to hit the keyboard).

You can check the new features on the first post... or just go and test it haha.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)