Any plans to support GIFS inside C2?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • C2 does a great job loading all formats of images from a URL into a sprite... except GIFS

It would be really cool if GIFs could be imported into C2 using the LOAD IMAGE FROM URL command.

Note - if anyone has figured out a workaround to achieve this, please let me know!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C2 does a great job loading all formats of images from a URL into a sprite... except GIFS

It would be really cool if GIFs could be imported into C2 using the LOAD IMAGE FROM URL command.

Note - if anyone has figured out a workaround to achieve this, please let me know!

Just drag the gif and drop it onto the Layout. C2 will create an animated sprite from the gif.

• I should have been more specific.

My need is to have the C2 app load a GIF from a URL, so you can pick one of many GIFs during game-play.

(Even have players upload GIFs for use inside the game)

I'm not talking about hard-coding a GIF into the program at the Layout stage.

Currently, you can load all other types of images using "LOAD IMAGE FROM URL" but it fails on GIFs.

• > C2 does a great job loading all formats of images from a URL into a sprite... except GIFS

>

> It would be really cool if GIFs could be imported into C2 using the LOAD IMAGE FROM URL command.

>

> Note - if anyone has figured out a workaround to achieve this, please let me know!

>

Just drag the gif and drop it onto the Layout. C2 will create an animated sprite from the gif.

This ought to be in the manual somewhere. I'd been scouring the net for a way to convert a GIF to a spritesheet or sequential images so I could import them into C2 via the usual methods.

• aren't they supported by drag and drop in c2?

p.s. you could use PNG crusher/splitter/something to take each frame out from gif and get all frames pngs.

and then import as you usually would.

• aren't they supported by drag and drop in c2?

errrr, did you read my post?

• saiyadjin i think zenox98 mean you most drag the file off the desktop or anywhere it locate and drop it on Construct 2 layout which going generate an animated sprite automatically... correct me if i am worry zenox98

• That is almost exactly what I wrote, yes

• oh, yeah i've noticed, nvm though. i was.. wait why did i use png exploder anyway? i didn't know that .. OMG lol

• All of these answers assume you are a PROGRAMMER and not a USER.

If you're creating an APP and you want to allow a USER to identify a GIF to import into the game, they have no access to the LAYOUT.

Now, users CAN identify images (for example, importing their own avatar) if you create a dialog box and use the LOAD IMAGE FROM URL function in C2.

This would allow any user to just drop in a URL for an IMAGE, and load that image into the game (at run-time).

But, GIFs FAIL when you use LOAD IMAGE FROM URL.

Actually, they don't fail - they just load the first image in the sequence, and not the actual GIF.

This would be massively useful, allowing the loading of GIFs at runtime... the way you can load OTHER KINDS OF IMAGES into C2 at runtime.

Has anyone figured out a solution? And if not, does C2 have a plan to fix this hole?

• Unanimous

[quote:3tij0avy]......does C2 have a plan to fix this hole?

I would think that considering Ashley is full steam developing C3, and whilst he is still adding new features to C2, the main thrust for C2 is bug fixes and stability, so I would think that such a feature would have a higher liklihood of appearing in C3 rather than C2.

If you alter the subject heading to include the prefix [FEATURE REQUEST] then at least you have made a formal request for the feature to be included.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)