Another C2 Game on Wii U

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • I just saw a second game (that I know of) in the Nintendo Wii U eShop that was made by Construct 2! The game is called Internal Invasion and the developer is Andy Ford. You can read about it at http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/03/internal_invasion_blasting_onto_the_wii_u_eshop. It is a fun little trip inside the human body with a unique way of passing a creature from one tank to another so you can shoot evil pills. This video at

shows it off well. Very nice vehicle to feature Construct 2's physics.

The game was submitted in February but didn't appear until June, but I don't know what the delay was about. But it is for sale. The other known Construct 2 game that has appeared on the Wii U is called Blok Drop U and is a combination of Jenga and Angry Birds (maybe).

Does anyone know of any other Construct 2 games on the Wii U? Every week new indie games are appearing (it's not all Zelda and Mario) but I only know of these two right now.

The Wii U is a great place to sell your game. There aren't many games and you'll get featured. In case you didn't notice, you can export Construct 2 games to the Wii U format. And that the Wii U has a special SDK just for HTML5 games called the Nintendo Web Framework. Of course you have to apply and your game has to go through lots of checking before it is released, but I would think that aside from issues of art and theme, the Construct 2 export is probably pretty bullet-proof.

The Wii U seems to be getting a lot of attention. For a very recent article on why the Wii U is cool, see this Kotaku article at http://kotaku.com/wii-u-review-update-20-months-later-1601718713.

PS: I got mixed up and listed another game that was not done in Construct 2. My mistake. I'm traveling and got the two mixed up. There are too many cool games coming out on the Wii U. The one I listed was a Unity game called GEOM. But there are now at least two Construct 2 games out for Wii U now! Thank you, Ashley, for letting us edit our posts!

• I would like to know how well it runs HTML5 games.

• The Wii U runs HTML5 games very fast. I haven't seen any problems with these two games, but the HTML5 is generated by Construct 2 and exported to the Wii U format. Essentially the Wii U has a special SDK called the Nintendo Web Framework. Construct 2 makes the HTML5 code efficient and fast. I've run some tests myself just using the Wii U browser and it seems pretty good. I don't know the inner workings, but it seems as fast as any other browser. The extra secret sauce is that you can use the Wii U game pad controls to play your game!

• does the video show the actual game running on the wiiu?

if yes, then the speed is really great!

• This was made by AnD4D if I'm not I'm not mistaken (that username now makes a lot more sense!) - congratulations on getting on the WiiU!

How did you go about the ESRB rating? Or did Nintendo handle it?

• Yes, and I've played it on the Wii U and it looks just like the video.

I chatted with the author over on NintendoWorld and he said he had to cut the game back to run it on the Wii U, but I don't have the details yet.

I'm learning that optimization of Construct isn't a well-understood task! https://www.scirra.com/forum/using-construct-2-to-create-a-platform-game-for-firefox-os_t108313.

• I missed this because it wasn't in the general forum, but in the announcements. https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=109452&p=802287#p802287.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You mentioned over on NintendoLife that you had to cut features or something. What did you cut to make it work? The game seems cool now. I bought it and liked it.

Is it missing levels? Did you have to cut back the art? I can't see anything missing but I don't know what was there.

Is there anything that Construct 2 could have done to make the game better?

Bob Thulfram I've moved your question over here, as there are a few others I'd like to answer.

I struggled to get the game optimized for hours and hours on end, and couldn't figure out what the problem was. I went through so many changes, only to find out that my HUD was slowing the game down. I had a tiny line of code that checks if the character is overlapping the "cannon counter" on the HUD, at which point the HUD will turn 50% opaque. Because collisions are happening on different parallax layers, the Wii U didn't like it, and slowed each level down to a crawl!

In trying to figure this out, I made so many unnecessary optimizations to the code, it's crazy, but I'm glad I figured it out in the end. It's just a shame I wasn't able to have that change in opacity, and that one thing messed me up for a few months.

My developer license was approved at the end of February, but my game was finally submitted in March... then again in April... then finally in May. Each time I failed wasn't due to the game, but due to something being wrong with the game's manual. The last time it was submitted was delayed by E3, and I pushed it back a week so I didn't clash with Shovel Knight! So yeah... it's been a long road getting an already completed game onto the Wii U.

This was made by <div class="self-ref">@AND4D</div> if I'm not I'm not mistaken (that username now makes a lot more sense!) - congratulations on getting on the WiiU!

How did you go about the ESRB rating? Or did Nintendo handle it?

Thank you! The ESRB rating was a breeze. For indies, it's FREE! I didn't even have to show them the game. I simply needed to fill out a form check some boxes, and they sent me an automated rating. I'm not keen on going forward for the rest of the world, seeing as they charge stupid money ($1200 for a rating in some cases, it seems!). ESRB are doing it right!

Thanks for your interest, and I'm happy to answer any questions I can!

• Congratulations on the release!

• [quote:3vhnrnfy]I struggled to get the game optimized for hours and hours on end, and couldn't figure out what the problem was. I went through so many changes, only to find out that my HUD was slowing the game down. I had a tiny line of code that checks if the character is overlapping the "cannon counter" on the HUD, at which point the HUD will turn 50% opaque. Because collisions are happening on different parallax layers, the Wii U didn't like it, and slowed each level down to a crawl!

This sounds like a bug in Construct 2. But one that sounds very hard to track down on the Wii U. I suspect this might be due to the Wii U browser, but of course only Ashley and Nintendo know that.

[quote:3vhnrnfy]My developer license was approved at the end of February, but my game was finally submitted in March... then again in April... then finally in May. Each time I failed wasn't due to the game, but due to something being wrong with the game's manual. The last time it was submitted was delayed by E3, and I pushed it back a week so I didn't clash with Shovel Knight! So yeah... it's been a long road getting an already completed game onto the Wii U.

Yikes! It sounds like the manual-creation guidelines weren't very clear.

But at any rate you should be congratulated for going through the process and having a great game on the Wii U. I look forward to your next game. I hope you can keep working with Construct 2 and Wii U.

And thank you for answering my questions. I'm now convinced that if I want to follow in your footsteps, I need to understand a lot more about Construct 2 optimization.

• I've been decently surprised and happy with performance on Wii U from C2--it's totally a neat platform. I do dread making the manual after reading about AnD4D 's manual experience, but developing for the system is quite neat.

• OMG!

Are you going to put Courier http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=252299679 on Wii U? The Wii U needs an RPG so badly!

I'll be sure to vote for Greenlight on Steam for Courier, but I'm really amazed at how cool it looks. Is this really in Construct 2? The art is awesome. Really nice effects - I love the guy splashing in the water along the beach. A game like this could put Construct 2 on the map.

Great music, too!

• It even has an official ESRB rating, very impressive!

Thanks for sharing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)