ADD DIRECTX IN CONSTRUC2 ! DOING REAL GAMES !

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
ADD ME ALL
$29 USD
A super duper mental math activity to practice addition with unlimited combinations.
  • sqiddster > STOP THAT !

if i want do 1000 layers with multiscolling it is a choice go to see Soldner X or Sturmwind or Shadow complex

and perhaps you see what i mean.

A multiscrolling game have at minimum 2 layers in Z mario have 2 for exemple when you want quality the minimum is 12 to 18. Multiply 18 x 5 elements per layers to obtain high animations you obtain 90 and it is only the backdrop. After you need elements and interaction and more and more and more so if you want to do a low graphic game it is your choice not ours.

shaircast > high quality graphic do not mean blockbuster. i never say that i don't think that. please don't talk for me. BUT you are absolutly right

real game makes people impressed, touched, and hooked. do a large amount of graphic in a game ... i d know what is bad on this.

i repeat my answer : direct X and Open GL (this time i dont forget on C2 a day Or Never ??

• Wrangler so sorry about that, perhaps i don't have the good words, you are right ! apologize !

19 hours for nothing, it is a long waste of time, i was tired. Sorry again.

IT IS A GOOD EDITOR so why when i test on Construct classic IT IS PERFECT and on C2 it is not working corectly ?

this is the same code the same graphics the same evrything.

• Half the games you mentioned are 3D - the one which isn't uses maybe 3-4 parallax layers at most. I think perhaps you're missing something

• sqiddster

Just a hunch, but he might be using layers as a z-order rather than using z-order. Let's just be patient. pennaneac claimed he only used the software for 10 minutes before making sweeping suck statements. Let's give him some time to learn intricacies of the software(as ALL software has and professionals take time to learn). And not worry about doing it wrong.

• There's numerous reasons you might be getting bad performance, if you post a capx and your system specs, we could help you better.

If, from the games you mentioned, you're trying to make a side scrolling shooter, you could be running too many collision checks, you might be able to improve things by putting each laser type on its own layer so the graphics card doesn't have to switch textures as often, you might be getting tons of overdraw and hitting the fill rate limits of your graphics card, you might be getting software rendering (you can try updating your graphics card drivers and running the direct x updater. If you're on XP or vista you're getting software rendering in chrome and node webkit regardless, Ashley's looking into ways to fix that)...

You could also put parallax items on the same layer and use the bullet behavior to make them move at different speeds to emulate having tons of layers with parallax instead.

You should probably ask for help and post a .capx before you get so upset! Maybe we can help!

• you might be able to improve things by putting each laser type on its own layer so the graphics card doesn't have to switch textures as often

The last thing he needs, imho, is more layers.

• 200 layers is truly extraordinary, I cannot imagine why you could possibly need so many and have never heard of any C2 user using so many before. But go on, send me the .capx pennaneac, it might be interesting to check the performance of the engine in such a case. If all 200 layers have artwork on them, I'd suspect you're bottlenecked on GPU performance, which means a native engine wouldn't speed it up. Or you have an extremely high object count, which means even moderately inefficient events will hit the engine hard.

Non-Windows platforms (Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, etc) already use OpenGL backends for WebGL mode, so both DirectX and OpenGL are covered, not that it's particularly relevant to performance - the GPU and driver quality are far more important.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > you might be able to improve things by putting each laser type on its own layer so the graphics card doesn't have to switch textures as often

>

The last thing he needs, imho, is more layers.

Perhaps you missed where I said:

You could also put parallax items on the same layer and use the bullet behavior to make them move at different speeds to emulate having tons of layers with parallax instead.

If he did both, the total layer count would go down.

• ashley i have send you something lighter on :

it is a link with a -light- capx to download - and a link to see a graphic stress test of what we doing/going.

and whith this Light one we have the same bugs. On 3 computers. So it is not our hardware.

by the way i "think" it is possible to manage in +/- 100 layers but under ... very harder.

i can't send you P.M. (i d'ont know why)

the specs of my computer are : 2gb graphic card - 12 gb ram - win 7 64bit - all up to date.

• jayderyu 10 days

Arima i can't (('for the moment')) discuss openly of this game > Copyright (.-'_'-.)

but yes it is a side scrolling shooter, 2d style, fals 3d.

i can't do this (bullet behavior to make them move at different speeds to emulate having tons of layers with parallax instead.)

it is impossible i use parallax like this : layer 1 mask, layer 2 objects, leyer 3 mask, layer 4 objects, ...

(it is not really like that but it is more simple to explain) parallax are graphic decoy, some objets are in layers 2 4 6 8 ...

mask (graphic elements for decoration) 1 3 5 7 ... and it is only the front, in the back we have parallax too, and more.

This game is a Very hard one.

• You're masking 100 layers? That's definitely gonna slam the GPU if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly.

I'm also not convinced that what I suggested wouldn't work for you, but I can't really tell without looking at what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps you could post a youtube video of a game with a similar effect?

• I genuinely want to see the game... Just a screenshot of it will satiate my curiosity...

• pennaneac - we receive a large volume of emails and there are currently several .capx files in our email inbox. I'm not sure I got the right one, you should refer to the forum thread when emailing us, but I found an email talking about DX/OpenGL and it had 23 layers.

It runs at 60 FPS on both my laptop and Nexus 5 phone with Chrome for Android, despite the fact there's a tonne of overdraw across the 23 layers.

You use lots of very large textures, including one that is 2560px wide. This is over the 2048 texture size limit for many GPUs and will either seriously degrade performance or simply cause your game not to run. (The Nexus 5 does complain about this, but the game still ran with just that image missing.) Be sure to read Remember not to waste your memory

You turned off WebGL, which usually halves performance.

Some objects have sizes in the tens of thousands of pixels; one is 44,444x242, another is 55,000x169, one is even over 100,000 pixels wide. This is generally not a great idea since some GPUs may struggle with such extraordinary size quads. It looks like you're doing this to allow the impression of scrolling past. This is the wrong way to do it: make it only double width, and reposition it back to the right every time it travels its own width to the left. (The infinite runner example's background shows how to do this.)

In short, it seems to run just fine, even with some dubious design decisions that will surely push the limitations of the hardware.

• This sounds like not knowing enough about the software and limitations (shared by all engines).

I myself called this a hobbyist tool for lack of knowledge.

I have since changed my stance and am blown away at the the power of this software.

What took me over 2000 events to do, I can now do in under a 600. This is called acquired knowledge.

And what was 15 fps cruises at 60fps and no bottlenecks.

Like anything in life, you just have to learn the tools. What they can/can't do and adjust accordingly.

And trust me, I still don't know how to do 80% of the things I haven't even tried yet. Lots more learning as new games get developed.

• The fact that it runs at 60fps with such obvious design issues actually hilights the power of C2 rather than the short commings in the OP's post.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)