Tilemap View Doesn't Change When Selecting Objects

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Top-down cars vector illustrations in 12 different colors.
  • Problem Description

I have three tilemaps in my project, and each has the same PNG reference. One has solid behavior, one is background imagery / non-colliding and the other will be climbable objects (not implemented yet).

I also have three layers. The player is on the top layer, the solid and non-colliding backgrounds are on the bottom layer, and the climbable ones are on a layer in between.

First, let's say that I have successfully edited the currently active layer with background tilemaps. When I select any of the tilemap objects (for instance, the solid level tilemap) after , then navigate over to the Tilemap tab view, the tilemap doesn't update to the solid level tilemap view. It still displays the background tilemap object's content.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Create a new project with 3 PNG tilemap objects, all with the same referenced PNG. Mine are named "Solid", "BG", and "Ladders"
    • Create three layers called "Player", "Climbable", and "Level", respectively. Addition of a player object to the "Player" layer is not required for troubleshooting.
    • Ensure that 2 of the 3 PNG tilemap object are assigned to the "Level" layer, while the other is assigned to the "Climbable" layer.
    • Select the "Level" layer and the "Solid" tilemap, then navigate to the Tilemap view and begin laying down tiles.
    • Go back to the Object view and select a different tilemap, like "BG", then navigate back to the Tilemap view.
    • Observe that the Tilemap view's contents are still referencing the previously selected Tilemap object (Solid).

Observed Result

The previous tilemap object is displayed in the tilemap view, regardless of the currently selected tilemap object or layer.

Expected Result

I expect the currently selected tilemap object to display in the tilemap view.

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 Professional / SP 1

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 182 (64-bit)

• Update: When I move the layers from being one on top of the other to being staggered, I can then manually select the tilemap object in the preview window and the tilemap view changes properly. This behavior should be present when selecting the tilemap object from the Objects view as well.

• Please attach a .capx as required so I can guarantee I am looking at the same content as you.

• I scrubbed all my proprietary content and attached the requested CAPX. All you have to do now is select the Tilemap objects in the Object view (see that the selected object properties change on the left panel to confirm it's selected), then navigate to the Tilemap view tab and notice there is no change in the UID / Tilemap being used in the Tilemap view, as there should be.

Then you can click in the preview window to select and move the Tilemap objects around in the preview window, and as you click to select these objects, the Tilemap view updates properly.

• It seems I have misunderstood the purpose of the Objects bar. The Objects bar only shows one (the first, I think) instance of any object in your layout instead of showing all instances of objects in your layout. This effectively just makes it a filtered version of the Project bar. Unfortunately, this is not an intuitive user experience for selecting objects for editing without having to select them exclusively through the layout window.

I think what I'm experiencing may just be a result of the Object bar having not been designed to be as useful as I assumed it would be. It doesn't change my opinion that the initial behavior I was experiencing is a bug, however. If selecting an object in the Objects bar was meant to imitate clicking an object in the Layout window, then a user would expect the Tilemap bar to update if it's relevant to do so.

Thanks for your time, Ashley and crew.

• togamario IIRC, you can click the tilemap on the z order bar, this will make it editable (by that I mean you can use the tilemap bar with it to place tiles). But I agree this is kind of weird

• Aphrodite Thanks for the heads-up on that. I'll give it a try when I get home from work later and see if that will work as a substitute.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Aphrodite Ha! The Z-Order bar is more or less what I'm looking for. Thank you for sorting that confusion out for me

• Should be fixed in the next build - you'll be able to switch between tilemap objects using both the project bar an objects bar, which gives you more options than just using the Z order bar.

• Ashley - Thank you so much! I'm still working on that very large tilemap world with multiple layers and this change should help whittle down my level construction time.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)