Tilemap Rendering Optimisation issue

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Enchanted Forest & Cave 16x16 Tilemap with Environment Sprites
  • Problem Description

There is, I believe, a bug in rendering tilemaps. During runtime if you're in a layout that has a tilemap in it, with seamless mode "On", it renders just fine. But when you switch to another layout with (the same?) tilemap in it, with seamless mode "Off", it has this problem:

[attachment=2:2id1h8ur][/attachment:2id1h8ur]

[attachment=1:2id1h8ur][/attachment:2id1h8ur]

Attach a Capx

[attachment=0:2id1h8ur][/attachment:2id1h8ur]

Description of Capx

This .capx file has two layouts in it. The first one uses the event sheet, and has a tilemap object in it with seamless mode "On". The second layout has another instance of the same tilemap object, but with seamless mode "Off". The event sheet goes to Layout 2 5 seconds after Start of Layout.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Create a new project
    • Add a tilemap with one of Kenney's Platformer asset spritesheets, or similar map, and give it the appropriate tile properties.
    • Set the seamless mode to ON.
    • Create another layout, and put another instance of the tilemap in it.
    • Set seamless mode of the second tilemap to OFF.

Observed Result

There appears to be some glitch in the rendering optimisation of the tilemap in the second layout in Chrome and Firefox. In IE in the second layout I get a white screen.

Expected Result

The tilemap should render correctly even in the second layout, but it doesn't. Not that anyone would want to have two instances of a tilemap, each with different seamless settings. I became aware of this bug through accidental inconsistencies of my tilemap properties.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: Yes
    • FireFox: Yes
    • Internet Explorer: Yes, but with a different outcome (white screen).

Operating System and Service Pack

I am using Windows 7 64-bit, Service pack 1.

Construct 2 Version ID

I am using r195 64-bit.

[EDIT]: I have updated the .capx so that Pixel Rounding is on, fullscreen scaling is Letterbox Integer Scale, and sampling is point.

• Ii it a bug?

Have you followed what it says in the manual:

[quote:1xdjkf5c]Seamless mode

Use a rendering mode that prevents seams appearing between tiles, but also disables some tilemap optimisations which could reduce performance. Turning Seamless mode off can improve performance, but may show seams if the following project properties are not as follows: Letterbox integer scale fullscreen mode, Point sampling, and Pixel rounding on.

If you have, then it could be a bug, but best check.

• zenox98

I didn't until you brought it up, but yes, it's still there. Also, I found out that IE fills in the tiles with the background color.

[attachment=0:2xc3rsir][/attachment:2xc3rsir]

• It's not a bug.

You use a tilemap with 70*70 tiles , and it's not a power of two.

So, Seamless mode is the best for this.

• As far as I can tell, the bug you have reported is that when you turn seamless mode off, seams appear. Is that really surprising?

• Ashley By seams do you mean lines of transparency between tiles?

• As far as I can tell, the bug you have reported is that when you turn seamless mode off, seams appear. Is that really surprising?

It's not readily apparent (thanks, weird image size limiting scrolling box), but the problem in the images is that tiles that should look like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ suddenly look like this /\/\______________/\/\ with seamless rendering on.

• Oh, I see. Well, unfortunately it looks like you simply can't mix the 'Seamless' property of a tilemap object between layouts. All object types share the same textures, and in seamless mode textures are created differently to non-seamless mode. So every instance of a Tilemap object type has to use the same seamless mode. I've documented this limitation. Closing as won't fix.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks Somebody for explaining that like I never could

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)