Screen flickers

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Is a circular loading screen with code ready to use. No Animation.
  • Deleted

• I asked for help with testing on Construct 2 Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/constru ... 876321205/).

One person says he has this issue on Windows 7 Ultimate. So it turns out it's not OS dependent.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ... One person says he has this issue on Windows 7 Ultimate. So it turns out it's not OS dependent.

I've got an idea about the NWjs issues and how we could determine if it's really NWjs/C2 or crappy drivers that are at fault here.

Since Armaldio got that Electron exporting to work, how about him or someone else that already tested out the "new" exporting method, export your example from this bug report using Electron and then test out if the issues are still occurring. I think that way we be at least 90% sure that it's NWjs's or C2's fault and not the fault of drivers that almost always get blamed on first.

I've posted this here because I felt like people that are not in our Discord should also know about our progress in finding a fix for these issues.

• I've only sporadically been able to see the flicker, I can't reproduce it reliably, but I think I've seen it happen. It seems to only happen in fullscreen mode in NW.js, not in windowed mode, and not in fullscreen mode in Chrome. Can you confirm this is the case for you too?

If it's specific to NW.js there's not a lot I can do - I'd recommend reporting it directly to NW.js. One tip though: tests are better when they don't need user input, just replace the mouse click event with every 0.05 seconds or something like that.

• I've only sporadically been able to see the flicker, I can't reproduce it reliably, but I think I've seen it happen.

So you knew the bug is there. This issue is there already for around 8 months. I believe it wasn't reported earlier because C2 community is very small and not many people update NW.js to the newest version each time it comes out. Also not many people actually make desktop games (mobile dev are majority I guess) and over that, it doesn't happen on every machine. And of course, most people don't care/bother to make a report.

So because C2 community is small it looks like it doesn't happen that often. But it does happen. And now imagine that someone makes a successful game which gets thousands of downloads on Steam. Customer review section would turn red for sure. So I just wanted to highlight that for whatever reason it is, your product is not able to provide a well working desktop app at the moment with the latest NW.js version (I mean the one which is able do be downloaded from Scirra's site). And until this is fixed by whatever party I suggest to announce NW.js 0.13.2 as recommended version for Construct 2 - just in case someone makes a great game and bring a huge sh*t storm on C2. So that's just my suggestion. Of course you will do whatever you find right.

It seems to only happen in fullscreen mode in NW.js, not in windowed mode, and not in fullscreen mode in Chrome. Can you confirm this is the case for you too?

Yes. We already mentioned that few times on the post related to this issue. It only happens in fullscreen mode in NW.js 0.14.x and up.

If it's specific to NW.js there's not a lot I can do - I'd recommend reporting it directly to NW.js. One tip though: tests are better when they don't need user input, just replace the mouse click event with every 0.05 seconds or something like that.

I've edited the bug report (first post here) and added automated capx.

This capx has only two events:

Another thing I noticed is the dependence between the sound trigger interval and the sound's duration. The sound in the capx is 0.253s long. If we loop it to be triggered with 0.3s or higher interval then the flickering issue occurs.

However if we set Every X second condition to 0.1s for instance then the flickering does not occur. Also when we simply trigger this sound as looped, the flickering does not occur.

I don't know what's inside the Audio plugin, but I'm guessing that there's a - let's call it - "silence" trigger after the particular sound stops playing. It must be something common of Audio->stop(tag) function and when the sound has ended.

So it's not Audio->play(tag) which causing this flickering, but the end/stop of playing the sound.

• ... export your example from this bug report using Electron and then test out if the issues are still occurring.

I don't have this bug. But I made an Electron-Version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5FlDY ... sp=sharing

You have to double click for fullsreen.

• I don't have this bug. But I made an Electron-Version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5FlDY ... sp=sharing

You have to double click for fullsreen.

Yep already saw the test results in our discord channel for electron exporting.

---

I've created a bug report on their git, I'd appreciate some feedback and maybe an upvote, which usually helps to get the attention of a NWjs team member.

Ashley feel free to comment on the report and correct any mistakes, keep in mind that I'm not an expert so some parts of the report might be inaccurate.

(Of course all C2 members and/or people with knowledge about the web can take part in the report as well.)

• Closing as will now follow up at https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/5477

So you knew the bug is there. This issue is there already for around 8 months.

I only just saw it, and the report to NW.js was only just filed, and this report is under 2 weeks old. If the NW.js issue was filed 8 months ago, then the developers would have an 8 month head start on fixing it (so it could well have been fixed by now). That's why I encourage people to report third-party issues directly where possible. It didn't really make much difference that I saw it happening and it wasn't really necessary to wait until then. Often you can cut me out of this process.

[quote:243ppa8c]So I just wanted to highlight that for whatever reason it is, your product is not able to provide a well working desktop app at the moment with the latest NW.js version

Bugs happen, and sometimes they happen in third party code. There is nothing new, special or interesting about this case. In native tech, it could be that broken graphics driver completely hose your game on a whole range of graphics card models, and the vendor does not have a reasonable bug report system. This happens to the extent that AAA games launch in an unplayable state. This isn't so bad in comparison.

• Sorry for updating the closed bug. But it is solved so I'd like to keep all interested updated. Please read more details HERE

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)