random(x) glitch

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Tweakable and easy to use effects for your projects.
  • the random(x) event has been a bit quirky...not sure if this a bug or just a random anomaly

random(x) works in 1 part of my code but doesn't work in another

when i open a new doc and enter the same code it works fine...is this a problem with the current project or is it just a very "random" glitch

???

i'd rather not create an entirely new project just to clear up 2 lines (albeit vital) of code

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well if I asked you to move random(x) feet, what exactly would that mean to you?

The reason I ask is because at this point it means the same as random(a), or random(n), or random(z) to me.

Good chance that it would mean the same in C2.

• qwiktags: post your capx please.

We can't guess out of the blue what the quirks or glitches are.

Also think to provide the required infos as asked in how to report a bug.

• Sorry guys. I do apologize for my oversite (it was a wee bit early/late when I made the post)

Here is the quick and dirty version of what is going on

(this works just fine)

global variable = 0

global variable2 = 0

System -> every random(5)+2 seconds --> spawner1...spawn sprite

set sprite.Y to random (300)+20

set global variable2 = 1

do more stuff..

(this part gets glitchy)**

System -> every random(15)+5 sec --> spawner2 spawn sprite2

-> global variable2=1                 system set global variable to random(3)+1 **(this part does not register)

set sprite2.Y to random (300)+20 (works fine)

( the remaining code in this block works fine)...

system set global variable2 =0

system -> global variable = 1 --> spwaner3 spawn sprite3

do stuff

(nothing happens in this block because there is no value generated for global variable which could be 1,2 or 3)

I hope this helps, if not I'll post the capx later on today

• At global variable2 =1 => system set global variable to int(random(1,3)) should do the trick.

random() returns a float. By setting a range and making it an int(eger) , you are sure random will return either 1, 2 or 3.

Next time though, post directly the capx, it will be easier to answer you.

• Thanx...I'll give it a shot

I also tried moving the random(3)+1 line to block 3 and the result was the same (nothing registers)

I'll post the capx anyway later today

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)