Major System Crash in Preview Animation

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimalist Crash Balls is a game where the goal is to hit the ball on the portal, with 20 different levels :)
  • Problem Description

System Crash after attempting to view a preview of sprite animation. Was making sprite animation and loading in an explosion to copy into the animation in a new frame and using cut and paste. When I tried to preview the sprite the whole screen went black. Then it came back on after a minute and the top controls of C2 all appeared burnt gray. I saved my work and closed and there was a strange glitch box left on my screen about the size of a file folder. I shut down and rebooted and glitch box was gone.

I ran C2 capx again and checked that sprite preview and this time it crashed the system and went to black and shut down C2 and my Chrome browser and internet connection and started my system asking for my password.

I deleted that animation and checked other animations and it did not do it again. I was cutting and pasting multiple times back on to an animation to create a fire effect and it has something to do with that cutting and pasting into an existing animation frame I think?

Attach a Capx

____ Upload a Capx to this post ____

Description of Capx

____ Concise description of what this CapX does ____

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1
    • Step 2
    • Step 3 etc.

Observed Result

____ What happens? ____

Expected Result

____ What do you expect to happen? ____

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES/NO) Yes
    • FireFox: (YES/NO)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES/NO)

Operating System and Service Pack

____ Your operating system and service pack ____ E=Windows 10 64 bit

Construct 2 Version ID

____ Exact version ID of Construct 2 you're using ____

239 64 bit

• I'm having a variant of this issue-- my whole system isn't going down, but trying to preview an animation results in the screen greying out, as it usually does, only the preview box doesn't appear. I'm guessing this is a different effect of the same issue, as it seems to occur under similar circumstances.

I'm using Windows 8, with the 64 bit version of the 239 update of Construct 2.

• I'm having a variant of this issue-- my whole system isn't going down, but trying to preview an animation results in the screen greying out, as it usually does, only the preview box doesn't appear. I'm guessing this is a different effect of the same issue, as it seems to occur under similar circumstances.

I'm using Windows 8, with the 64 bit version of the 239 update of Construct 2.

Sounds like a similar issue. Since that crashed happened I am seeing other probs. Effects not working or not showing when I run on one computer and then they run on a different computer.

Very strange?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > I'm having a variant of this issue-- my whole system isn't going down, but trying to preview an animation results in the screen greying out, as it usually does, only the preview box doesn't appear. I'm guessing this is a different effect of the same issue, as it seems to occur under similar circumstances.

>

> I'm using Windows 8, with the 64 bit version of the 239 update of Construct 2.

>

Sounds like a similar issue. Since that crashed happened I am seeing other probs. Effects not working or not showing when I run on one computer and then they run on a different computer.

Very strange?

Could be an issue with these newer versions of Windows? I wonder what OS/version the devs use. In the meantime, I'll just have to sprite in Photoshop and transfer after the bugs are fixed.

As a random question, did you notice these bugs in the previous stable build? (I think that was 233 or something) I wasn't able to test because the affected project was from a later version, but it would be interesting to note what version these problems originated. I've definitely used C2 on this computer without those problems, so it must have been a more recent update...

• Yes I remember some similar probs in an earlier release.

It seems to be connected to using any programs that run using the shared clipboard running at the same time and may be a windows conflict.

I have had probs with just getting the files to show up in windows 10 and the more they try to improve it the more they screw it up.

• Oooh, I see-- sounds like a difficult issue to fix, then...

• Update: After C2 crashed in this sprite preview I noticed none of my effects were working so I checked my graphics display and sure enough it was throwing an error and had shut down.

My system is ASUS 64 bit with Windows 10 and uses a custom driver.

I tried reinstalling the driver but did not work so had to uninstall graphics card and reboot and that seems to have fixed the problem.

• I spoke too soon!

Even after uninstalling and reinstalling Graphics card the effects were not showing up in chrome browser.

I ran a simple sprite with water effect in Chrome in debugger and it showed the canvas2d function was not running and browser screen showed no effects while layout showed effects applied.

After some searching online I found out canvas2d is still an experimental feature of chrome and I went to chrome://flags/ and found the canvas2d feature and disabled it and relaunched chrome.

The effects started working and then I went back and enabled canvas 2d and effects are working and debugger now shows webgl is working.

So hope that helps someone experiencing the same problems!

ADDED: If you see a funky green line around your layout when you play the game go back to chrome://flags/ and click on reset to default and relaunch your browser. That got rid of green lines and effects are working again.

• Sorry, there is nothing we can do about reports like this. Please see the bug report guidelines. We need reliable steps to reproduce the issue, and/or a .capx file demonstrating the issue. I don't see either of those here, so there's nothing I can do. Closing, please file a new issue with all the information we require.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)