"Empty Sprite" name not in object list

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Problem Description

If you add an empty sprite, it does not appear in the object list and you cannot adjust any of it's properties.

You can however reference it in scripts.

Attach a Capx

I would love to, I have a perfect example... I just can't see any way to attach it using this forum software!

Oh.. I just found another thread saying that facility has been removed.

Here it is in DropBox (missing the www dropbox bit, 300 rep is needed to embed links but bug reports ignored without them):

/s/1fvmzrszz1zi784/EmptySprite.capx?dl=0

Description of Capx

It contains an Empty Sprite which is not in the Object List.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 - right click on object list, select Insert New Object
    • Step 2 - select Sprite type, enter a name, press Insert

Observed Result

New Object is not in the Object list but can be referenced in the event sheet (as shown in my capx).

Expected Result

The object is blank so there will be no icon, however a placeholder graphic, or an empty icon with the name underneath would make it accessible.

Affected Browsers

This is not a browser issue, it's in the IDE.

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 Home Edition, fully patched.

Construct 2 Version ID

Free Edition (I'm currently evaluating for my needs).

Release 212.2

Use case:

I have a turret with animations that make it turn (it is not a top-down view so rotation is no good). I want to make it aim at the nearest enemy in the easiest way possible. My idea is to attach an empty sprite and use the usual turret aiming systems to make it turn, then I will take it's angle and divide down to the number of frames in my visible turret animation and set the turret frame to that value. I have done everything except set the initial direction for the aiming empty sprite, however I cannot access it's properties because it is not visible in the object list.

As a work-around I will set the angle in its 'on create' event, but every object should be in the object list because there's no other way to access the properties page for them.

Additional info: Created an empty sprite on the layout instead of in the object window, looked like the same problem until I clicked on the layout at which point the Image editor opened and then the empty sprite appeared in the object list.

• Construct 2 Version ID

Free Edition (I'm currently evaluating for my needs).

Release 200 (64-bit)

Built at 14:47:58 on Mar 16 2015

You should test in the latest build - r214 - as requested by the guidelines, just in case the error has been fixed, especially since you are testing using r200 which is from March.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yep, I'm on the 'upgrades' page but only see paid versions... I'm still evaluating.

Ah, found a 'free download' link but not in the 'store'... looks like r212.2

How do I get the latest Beta as a free download?

• Bug is still present in r212.2 unable to find link for 214

Edited bug to give additional info about further tests.

• Thank you Gunter.

I've installed and tested on r214 and the bug is still present.

I believe it is caused because I am using "insert new object" from the Object list on the Event Sheet... If you use the option from the Layout the cursor changes into a cross and when you click the layout the object is created correctly in the Object List and on the Layout.

• Sorry, I was wrong in my most recent comment. The objects can be deleted from the Projects bar.

• Closing as not a bug. The object is in the project bar. By default the object bar (I am assuming you are referring to this?) filters by objects on the layout. EmptySprite is not on the layout so is not listed. If you switch the object bar's filtering to show all project objects, it is listed.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)