Editor sluggish after one hour work on large project.

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • Problem Description

Editor seems unresponsive after few "Preview in Browser". When layouts are left visible in editor, C2 can use up to 2GB Ram. The program needs restarting every 1-2 hours. Closing layouts does help only short term. Ashley has my .capx from previous issue over large project, maybe it can replicate the bug.

Attach a Capx

Since its a customer work I could send CAPX if I could get some kind of NDA. Problem seems serious and I see more people having it but so far no one offered CAPX (seems to be happening mostly in large projects), so this could help.

Description of Capx

Read above.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

-CAPX with more than 400 events, 100+ objects -open few layouts, let it be for some time -run preview on different layouts few times -editor becomes slow and start to eat ram memory.

Observed Result

Slowing down leading to crash.

Expected Result

Same as above. Only solution for now is to restart program.

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 8.1

Construct 2 Version ID

• Are you using lots of Text objects? If so it may be related to https://www.scirra.com/forum/r190-global-layer-v-web-font-incompatibility_t120329.

How many layouts are you opening, exactly? If you open say 50 then it's hardly surprising it would end up using ~2GB RAM. Also are you using the 64-bit version of C2?

If you don't close the editor, but simply close the project and then re-open it, does that also improve it? (This will help identify if it's a per-project or per-editor instance issue)

It is going to be very difficult to do anything about a report like this without a minimal .capx; we could sign the NDA etc. but as per our bug report guidelines, completed projects generally aren't actually useful for bug reports anyway. It is far more useful if you can isolate the problem in a new project with simple steps to reproduce (e.g. doing one thing over and over), a bit like the way the other bug report isolated a hang to using lots of text objects followed by repeated previews - and then there's no need to sort out NDA paperwork either.

• Actually I just managed to fix that other bug - there is indeed a memory leak every time you preview a project with Text objects. That could explain this report (and a few others!). When r191 is out it's probably worth trying again to see if it's fixed.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Great Ashley. Around ~10 text objects, 5 visible all the time.

We will see how it goes in 191 then. Thanks!

• r191 beta is out, could you try it out and let me know if it resolves this issue as well?

• Hi Ashley.

I am finishing other project so I will check it in 2-3 days after I am safe to update.

Thanks for update!

• funkyy - closing this report, please let me know if any issues persist with r192+.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)