Delayed Sound Reproduction on Mobile Platforms

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
A pack of 76 platform designs for a platformer game with a mushroom/jungle theme
  • Problem Description

Activating Sound FX on Mobile is slow and delayed and ruins flow of the game.

Attach a Capx

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfeEt ... sp=sharing

Description of Capx

Upon pressing the 'Sound Activation' button, the sound effect playing is delayed and ruins the focus and fun of the game.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1: Open project.
    • Step 2: Run on mobile Using CJS Launcher app
    • Step 3: Press the Red Button and listen for the sound effect delay.

Observed Result

Delayed Sound effects on Mobile Devices.

Expected Result

A rapid response.

Affected Browsers

• Android cJS: (YES!!!)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 64-bit/Android OS version 4.3

Construct 2 Version ID

r 165

• Ashley

By the way thanks for the performance optimizations with GC with 165, More of that is Soo welcome!!:)

• If this only happens in CocoonJS, please report it to Ludei. Otherwise please report which browsers are affected.

• Thanks for the heads up Ashley , STARTECHSTUDIOS

Hey ludei

I recently experienced this issue as well but only when exporting to CocoonJS... when exporting as Crosswalk it works like a charm...ish still debugging the game) I have "sound/music"that changes whenever I change stages (which is really fast) so I need it to be as fast as possible. I'm getting a "wait" time that wasn't there before.

• Ashley

I later tested this .CapX in Chrome browser for Android and it had the same delay problem, thank you for tending to this issue. It has become a big deal in all of my games at this point.

Also in android stock browser --

• I think this is just a problem in Android's audio system. We don't implement any delay in our engine, the 'Play' action tells the browser to start playing immediately. If 2 browsers and CocoonJS all have the delay, it's probably the OS.

• Ashley

I believe that you don't implement any delay in your audio system, I thought maybe the sound effects were loading into memory before each play, maybe that was causing the delay. I have seen many apps that have instantaneous audio response times on the Android OS -

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you don't preload on startup then there may be a small extra delay on the first playback only, but all subsequent playbacks should be instant.

• Ashley

It's interesting that the sound reproduction in chrome browser for desktop is instant.

But the sound in chrome browser on android is like a 250-300 ms delay..

I tried your audio-preload trick, but it didn't make any noticeable difference.

I wish there was a way to work around this issue, I have a bird that flaps, but when his wings move and when the sound hits the users ears are two entirely different events..

• STARTECHSTUDIOS - I think that confirms the issue is in Android, or at least some browser code beyond our control. Perhaps on newer devices the latency isn't so bad.

• Ashley

Or perhaps you could do some super-genius trick to push the sound into local memory, thereby anticipating its activation, like a race-horse readying itself at the starting gate!

It sounds like you know more about this particular issue than I do.. Upon further inspection, it seems that Android- even on moderately newer devices-has been experiences poorer audio latency depending on the device and OS version. I guess it's something they are trying to fix right now...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)