Choppy/Jerky Frame skips on Android

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Selection frame like in RTS games, works both on mobile and desktop devices.
  • Problem Description

Testing my project on android ive noticed a fps/jerky/stutter/choppy movement. The game is a vertical scroller and its unplayable. On pc with firefox/chrome/ie runs perfectly, but on android ive tested it with intel xdk, cocoonio, browser preview and always is the choppy movement. Testing if it is graphics overload ive created a new simple project with 4 sprites and sine behaviour and is still the same choppy movement. Testing devices: Samsung galaxy s3, Motorola Motog 2 and Samsung Galaxy S7. I dont know if it is a vsync problem or html5 for android is not the way to go...

Here is the movement in the Galaxy S7 (Fully capable of handle this)

A fast vertical scroller its unplayable with this frame skips

Attach a Capx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sn40dcimkdg16z/choppy.capx?dl=0

Description of Capx

Simple project with 4 sine behaviour

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1: Open Capx
    • Step 2: Use browser preview on android, or compile it with intel xdx or cocoonio
    • Step 3: Check if the movement is smooth

Observed Result

Choppy movement of the sprites on Android on all devices

Expected Result

Smooth movement with a simple project on a powerful device

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: NO
    • FireFox: NO
    • Internet Explorer: NO

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 10

Construct 2 Version ID

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yea, i see the same in my games even on desktop.

It is linked to spikes in dt ( usually jumping from 0.0167 to 0.0333)

Has nothing to do with your code or capability of hardware

I believe it is referred to as "jank" in the business

and cannot be solved by using factoring for dt i.e framerate independence.

(as can be attested to the fact you are using sine behaviour in ur capx)

Ive seen some posters and websites link it to "garbage collection"

There is a test website that says that Chrome has VSync issues because of a 96MB GPU memory limit and various other > here http://www.vsynctester.com/chromeisbroken.html and other stuff possible totally unrelated to C2 development that you probably shouldn't read for your own peace of mind.....but I know nothing about these things

certainly this test http://www.vsynctester.com/gputest.html runs janky in Chrome even on my desktop and super duper janky on my phone usually ending in the aw snap crash ....but runs silky smooth with edge browser on surface pro tab and desktop....

they say that not using hardware acceleration i.e. disabling web gl will solve the issue in chrome but then I suppose you loose performance in other ways.

disabling web gl on your capx resulted in smooth scrolling in chrome but will prob result in an overall FPS hit on mobile for bigger games ..

What worries me is that Looking through the chromium devs emails (linked through from above)

it is clear that

1. They are very disorganised and work very slowly

2. There are tons of open issues related to vsync , jank, framerate stuttering

3. They dont really know how to solve them due to complex relationships between browser, os and hardware.

4. These bugs are considered very low priority so dont get much attention

I'm not sure I have seen the Scirra devs comment directly on it.

Ashley

Tom

any chance you could comment

• Urgh, looks like another Chrome v-sync issue. I filed a report with Google here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=694267

I don't think it's anything to do with the C2 engine, so closing - please follow up at that report for more information.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)