Audio CLICK every 24 SECOND (as of build 221)

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: Simple, negative, pozitive
  • Problem Description

____ A concise description of your problem here ____

When I build my app and run it on a Galaxy Tablet, the speakers CLICK every 24 seconds - a tiny blip of static. At first I assumed this was my code causing the problem, so I searched for some stray audio command. I could not find anything wrong. Then, I went back to old builds and found that they did not make this CLICK.

So, I took the old code (that works perfectly) and recompiled it with the latest CONSTRUCT 2 build (221) and guess what... the CLICK happens ever 24 seconds.

This means the same code, when compiled on older builds of CONSTRUCT 2, do not make the click... but when compiled with the new CONSTRUCT 2, it does.

To make things extra strange, I do not hear the click on a PC. Only when I run on a GALAXY TABLET. (Using CHROME.)

The same sound was confirmed on another device - a Samsung Galaxy Note phone. (Using CHROME)

This makes me wonder if it's somehow related to TOUCHSCREENS or MOBILE?

And finally, if I remove the AUDIO OBJECT from the code and compile... not CLICKS.

So, the new build of CONSTRUCT 2 seems to be creating a stray click of static every 24 seconds... when running on

Attach a Capx

____ Upload a Capx to this post ____

The file creates the CLICK SOUND. It's an odd program that won't seem like it does much, but that's because I stripped out EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to see what was causing the click, and yet... the click still happens even with this sparse program.

Description of Capx

____ Concise description of what this CapX does ____

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 - RUN CODE
    • Step 2 - Touch the Touchscreen
    • Step 3 etc.

Observed Result

____ What happens? ____

Phone (or Tablet) gives a STATIC CLICK every 24 seconds...

The CODE IN QUESTION does not have any PLAY commands.

It does include the AUDIO OBJECT, however.

Expected Result

____ What do you expect to happen? ____

No STATIC CLICKS. (Which is how the code worked when compiled on the prior release of C2).

This problem just appeared with the new release. (Even when compiling the exact same code).

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES/NO) - YES
    • FireFox: (YES/NO) - UNTESTED
    • Internet Explorer: (YES/NO)

- UNTESTED

Operating System and Service Pack

____ Your operating system and service pack ____

Running code on Android (latest for Galaxy Tab and Galaxy note)

Compiling on Windows 7.

Construct 2 Version ID

____ Exact version ID of Construct 2 you're using ____

221 (64 bit)

• UPDATE: I tested FIREFOX and it causes the same CLICK ERROR.

• I notice the same thing on my mobile games. I use Intel SDK to build if that makes any difference...

• Without a capx the bug didn't happen... Do you happen to have an audio file that plays on a 24 second loop? If so, open it in audacity and fix any step / square waveform at the start or end of the track. If that's not the problem then you need to post an example so it can be investigated.

• Any CAPX that has an audio object causes the problem. (You don't even need to have audio files) - just an audio object.

• This is a genuine bug. And a bad one because it impacts ALL programs that have an audio object.

To make it really clear that ANY CAPX causes this problem, I took the very familiar and standard GHOST SHOOTER (Tutorial Version) capx.

The only thing I did to it was add object, AUDIO. Then I compiled it.

It has NO PLAY COMMANDS and NO AUDIO FILES. Just the AUDIO OBJECT...

And yet, on ANDROID TABLETS and PHONES, in CHROME and FIREFOX, it causes a STATIC CLICK every 24 seconds...

Here is the CAPX FILE that I used: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/740 ... ct%29.capx

Note - the click does not start until you've touched the screen once. It's like that in all capx files. Maybe it's related to focusing the browser. Who knows...

And if you want to try the compiled version on an android tablet, you can try this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/740 ... index.html

For me, if I run it on a Galaxy Note 5 phone (in Chrome or Firefox) or run it on a Galaxy Tablet... it will CLICK every 24 seconds.

This is crazy since there are no PLAY commands.

• Seems to be a lot of problems with the Audio Object.

Background music is distorted when playing on iOS.

Read more here:

The audio bug after exporting from Construct 2 for iOS is the only thing holding me back from publishing my first project to the App Store.

• This is a deliberate workaround for the following Chrome bug: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=518863

It was originally reported here: https://www.scirra.com/forum/sound-stop-playing-after-a-short-break-of-inactivity_t166126

The alternative is sound stops playing completely, which is worse. Playing a fake audio buffer every 25 seconds is a big hack, but it's difficult to work around browser bugs like this. Star the Chromium issue to follow updates to it. When Google fix the problem, we will remove the workaround. Note the workaround only applies if the platform is detected as Android - it should not affect any non-Android systems.

• i just see this post an here i was thinking it because i add the power management plugin to my last game Sudoku Nano why i keep hearing a click/pop sound in the game. I build it on xdk with cl 4.1.2 because cl 5.1.1 i get no audio after about a minuite

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the insight Ashley. It's good to know that the click is not indicative of some bigger problem. That gives me piece of mind.

• Closing as Google have apparently fixed the bug, and we are removing the workaround in the next build anyway since it caused some other problems.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)