9-patches create errors in editor view

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
7 Errors
$15 USD
7 Errors is a game where you have to find the 7 mistakes before time runs out. Can you find all 7? Have fun looking.
  • Problem Description

This bug causes objects to become invisible or be re-positioned wrongly in layout view (only affects editor view). The issue is affected by the zoom level inside the layout view, by zooming in some elements will toggle visibility. I 've encountered the bug in two different projects, however I cannot reproduce in an empty project. Our assumption was that the bug is caused by adding 9-patches and by having a large amount of other objects in the project. This issue interrupts my creation process and I have to rely on dirty work-arounds to make it work (like using fixed scale sprites of the 9-patches so that it doesn't trigger, or remove the 9-patches until the layout is ready to be played).

Attach a Capx

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkG5n8_vobVPg4sGtkt5LLjeitvUOA

Description of Capx

Contains one layout in which the issue happens. Open the project and zoom in; you will start to lose objects. You can also copy the little box in the middle using ctrl, and that will re-position both in the bottom right (the graphic only, the bounding-boxes will stay where they were). Z-order window shows how many objects actually exist in layout, works as a reference.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Open project
    • Check number of objects in z-order window, then check what is shown in layout view.
    • Press Ctrl + scroll wheel to zoom in.

Observed Result

Some sprites will disappear from view. Others may be repositioned wrongly (only the graphic).

Expected Result

Sprites to remain visible and have their position not to be affected by this issue.

Affected Browsers

Editor only, no browsers are affected.

Operating System and Service Pack

Win 8.1

Construct 2 Version ID

R239 64bit

• It occurs on me too...

Ashley - Can this bug being fixed?

• Can't reproduce here on Windows 10 with an nVidia GTX 1070. Sounds like a graphics driver issue. Check your drivers are up-to-date. Closing as probably not a C2 bug.

• Ashley - Thanks for the closure.

After I restart my laptop, the bug vanishes. Thanks for letting us know.

wertandrew - Does your problem gone once you restart your PC?

• Ashley - Thanks for the closure.

After I restart my laptop, the bug vanishes. Thanks for letting us know.

wertandrew - Does your problem gone once you restart your PC?

The problem doesn't go away with restart. Also I have the issues in 4 different machines (win8.1 &win 10), with different graphic drivers. Lastly, the issue appears in 2 different projects that have nothing to do with each other. Will come back with more info, I ll have my team investigate the code.

EDIT: also forgot to say, it seems that z-order causes the visual problems, I could re-arrange an affected object or change it layer and sometimes the issue will go away. Still needs investigation though. Will come back with more.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It looks fine on my system, and graphics drivers are the #1 cause of crashes and glitches in the editor, so I still think it's that.

• It happens again... Restarting isn't the solution...

But I've found my problem and solved it, my missing sprites have the Exposure effect (for animation-less hovering effect, I used scaling instead...). I've set it to 0, probably that's the reason that the sprites are missing (probably my GPU just crazy...). I solved the invisible sprites by removing the effect as it isn't necessary...

wertandrew - Do your sprites have effects?

• It happens again... Restarting isn't the solution...

But I've found my problem and solved it, my missing sprites have the Exposure effect (for animation-less hovering effect, I used scaling instead...). I've set it to 0, probably that's the reason that the sprites are missing (probably my GPU just crazy...). I solved the invisible sprites by removing the effect as it isn't necessary...

wertandrew - Do your sprites have effects?

It happens to sprites with/without effects. In both projects, it started happening when I cloned a 9-patch using Ctrl. In a new project, it does not happen. I am totally confused what is the reason of this. I have a Nvidia GTX 770 and my graphics drivers are up to date.

I can repro the issue anytime with any machine. Ashley are you sure you didn't miss the invisible objects in the layout of the attached file? You have to open the z-order window and you ll see that there are more sprites than what you see in the layout. Also, try moving using the middle mouse button around the layout, that should cause the issue. For example, I get this when I am zoomed close:

and then when i zoom out I get this:

EDIT: Here is a video of the issue: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkG5n8_vobVPg486cbe_1_ZGxumU6Q

• Same here (we work together) and my config is totally different and I'm 100% uptodate. This seem like an editor bug. Happens if you click on objects, or zoom, or move or whatever...

• Looks like this for me: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15217362/editor-rendering.png

I checked the Z order bar, everything's there. It looks consistent at any zoom level, everything seems to be fine.

The latest drivers can still be broken, and it can inconsistently affect ranges of devices/OSs, so lots of people could see this except me. Even if I could see it - not much we can do about driver bugs, they're the graphics vendor's fault :-\

• Ashley,

I have the same issue both on my windows 10 GTX1070 system (driver 21.21.13.7270) and my surface pro 3 (HD5000), both from the demo file and Wertandrew's previously mentioned projects (disclaimer, I am in the same team as Wert and Psycho).

In short though, I have the error on a win 10 with same graphics as you?

• Tried the 9-patch demo, no problems for my laptop's sake...

wertandrew - Have you occur this kind of bug before you upgraded to r239? Is it occurred before you upgrade your graphics driver?

• Tried the 9-patch demo, no problems for my laptop's sake...

wertandrew - Have you occur this kind of bug before you upgraded to r239? Is it occurred before you upgrade your graphics driver?

Yeah, I had this on the previous version r230 too and with old graphic drivers.

• Looks like this for me: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15217362/editor-rendering.png

I checked the Z order bar, everything's there. It looks consistent at any zoom level, everything seems to be fine.

The latest drivers can still be broken, and it can inconsistently affect ranges of devices/OSs, so lots of people could see this except me. Even if I could see it - not much we can do about driver bugs, they're the graphics vendor's fault :->

We have this bug since so long, you can't just turn the problem down like that.... I know you can't do anything about a driver bug but it's not a driver problem. I'm surprised you did not even ask the basic questions that could be affecting C2 for that, like if we are on sli, or multi screen, what resolution. I'll take the time it needs to show you its an editor problem

• Ashley

So that, in your opinion, is all of us, on different machines (tablets, desktops and laptops), with different configurations, hardware (thus drivers), all hallucinating?

https://puu.sh/sodl0.mp4

It's very easy to close a topic, harder to find a solution. Even if it's graphic driver problem it can be C2 mistake. What are you using as graphic card? ATI? In that case that's a lead, we all have nvidia geforces. But not, too bad, you are on nvidia too. So what's next? You want a memdump maybe? A GPU memdump?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)