103 bug (103.2 too) disapearing sprites.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • I hate to say this, but nothing's changed for me neither.

Ashley I've found a way to reproduce both the problem I'm having!

Here is the affected CAPX

If you run the game and you go left (A & D to move) you will enter a room, inside there is a big guy, if you stand right bellow him you'll trigger an event (line 503 in the A1 event-sheet) where an object (boss_bomb) is created and most times it will just disappear mid air. ALSO, as it has the bullet behavior, most times the speed will be messed up.

[If you make him spawn the object several times (by going away and back bellow him again) the player will get invisible too (player_animations is the object name) Both of these bugs started to affect all of my project since 103. Object with bullet behavior sometimes get their speed messed up. And sprites disappear. And the object boss_bomg has both. here is a

of what I described above.

I really wanna help anyway I can to solve this, what else could I do?

• I know this is for 103 (I haven't tested for 104) however, this happened to me quite a few times. I didn't even do any programming in 103 when it happened. My enemy sprites wouldn't spawn at certain times. My environmental assets loaded fine everytime but my enemies would always dissapear.

I would maybe wonder if it had something to do with code that moves the sprites themselves (Platform behavior and bullet behavior for my enemies so far)

Sorry if this information isn't enough but it's all I've got :/

• It would still be useful to have results from testing each browser, especially with WebGL enabled and disabled. So far I don't think anyone's provided this. It would help narrow it down to a bug in a specific browser, renderer, or a logic issue in the runtime.

• Ashley, I tested explorer and chrome, with WebGl on and off with no differences. Those are the browsers I have at home, tomorrow at work I will have all of them and will test this more extensively. It doesn't have anything to do to image re-sizing either.

• Tried Chrome with webGL on/off, no difference. Explorer was too slow and laggy to really test for me. I'll see if I can get some testing done on FireFox at some point soon.

I have noticed that it seems to only effect things with bullet behavior, like my monsters. Though there are certain monsters it will not effect at all, such as bosses. No idea why.

• supergodjesus I'm not really sure we all have the same problem.

• I have speed problem with all my bullet behaving objects; some move at the setting speed, while some go much faster, this is one issue)
    • And the disappearing sprites don't all have a behavior; 1 use the platform behavior, one is a bullet, another is an animated sprite with several frames and animations, and the last is just an idle sprite.
    • Of those 4 objects; 3 are created in game, and one is present from the start.
    • And my sprites never vanish from the game, they just become invisible, they are still there and working.
    • However, all of them are involved in events regarding collisions. And I've often noticed how interacting can make sprites disappear. Although, not all my collision-related objects present any trouble besides those 4.

... And I wonder. How does the collision work? does it have to check every tick or it just triggers on collision? Does the program know which objects are gonna be involved in any collision or does it check for all objects?

And just for the sake of it; I'm going to make a new version of all those 4 objects, and I'm going to remake the events related to them and see what happens.

• Testing Sargas' capx in firefox 15:

WebGL enabled : The boss_bomb disappear mid air and then their moving speed accelerates over time.

FPS drop to around 52.

Webgl Disabled : Same as above.

Chrome 21:

WebGL enabled : Same as above, FPS drop to around 42

WebGL disabled : Same as above

Otherwise the rest of the game plays at a steady 60 FPS in both browsers.

IE9: FPS stays displayed to 60, and animation is smooth.

Though the sprite disappears mid air and accelerates over time like in the previous browser.

The change of speed of the bombs look like the FPS are catching up, a bit like if the code was framerate dependent (even though it isn't, using the bullet behavior on boss_bomb and using dt in quite a few formulas).

Hard to trace the origin of this error in this massive code though. It feels there's some loop/over processing in there.

Tested in r104.

• I've done a lot of things that have eased both my problems but haven't fixed them. Reducing the number of objects in my layout diminish the disappearances a lot. Cleaning a lot of "trash" events helped too.

Remaking the objects and their events didn't do much =(,

The biggest improvement came from removing the bullet behavior and instead using a custom movement. However even as those things have made the game more "stable" the bugs are still there... I had to admit that I had my hopes up thinking the bullet behavior was to blame. But it's not. objects moving forwards pixels*dt still get increased speeds sometime (maybe because dts aren't always the same? after all the bullets start to gain speed near the end of the layout, never before. I'm 100% of the time a 60FPS though)

Anyway, as of now, i get the disappearing bug a lot less, though it's still there... bugging me.

Kyatric You said "It feels there's some loop/over processing in there." You mean I may have redundant events?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Here's a simplified capx based on Sargas's:

disappearingSpritesR104.capx

• ramones - OK, so it looks like another issue with 'on created' and 'on destroyed' - can anyone else confirm that removing these triggers from their projects fixes them?

• ramones OMG I love you!! :D!!!!

Ashley, I will try right away!

• ramones - I've fixed the issue with your .capx for the next build, it was indeed a problem with 'On create'. If the other affected projects have the same problem, it should be fixed in r105.

• I'm so happy! in fact removing all the "on created" actually fixed my project!!! :D!!!!

and lol, in ramones capx you disable either the "bullet; spawn explosion" or the "explosion; on created event", and the sprites don't disappear anymore. it seems you need both lines to trigger the problem... or when the "bullet" only hits one "wall"... interesting.

My game was full of stuff like that. However, with ramones capx in mind, I tried with several combination of disabling lines, and as it turns out, it was enough disabling only 3 (line 10, 11 and 12) to make my game work fine =).

My games is heavily bullet based, and there were several kind of bullets and on collision each spawned one of the 3 kind of explosions. When things were killed too; they exploded with one of the 3 explosions. Lines 10, 11 and 12 were called to action throughout all the game.

Thanks guys, thank you so much =)

• I know this is closed but I have seen this happen with extremely complex enemies and I want to share how I fixed this. If you have sprites that disappear but still are there one thing you can do is make a simplified clone of the object with the exact same animations and then make a for each loop that does a match on the UIDs. Then match the animation and mirroring to the parent UID. This is a good practice anyways as it leaves the underlying object with the gobs of code and the image displayed independent... similar to how you should handle walk... anyways i thought I would share. This issue used to plague me too and now I add a 'married dummy clone' on top and life is good.

This is for anyone who finds this thread and is dying inside trying to fix vanishing complex objects.

Cheers

Dan

• I know this is closed but I have seen this happen with extremely complex enemies and I want to share how I fixed this. If you have sprites that disappear but still are there one thing you can do is make a simplified clone of the object with the exact same animations and then make a for each loop that does a match on the UIDs. Then match the animation and mirroring to the parent UID. This is a good practice anyways as it leaves the underlying object with the gobs of code and the image displayed independent... similar to how you should handle walk... anyways i thought I would share. This issue used to plague me too and now I add a 'married dummy clone' on top and life is good.

This is for anyone who finds this thread and is dying inside trying to fix vanishing complex objects.

Cheers

Dan

I think you should do a new bug report if you can, it is probably the best that it is corrected rather than doing workarounds

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)