Playing webm video on NWJS 0.30 consistently causes pcs to crash

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
30 high-quality 2D monsters. This asset is perfect for a side scrolling game, or even a turn based RPG type game.
  • EDIT: I just read the bug report requirements and conformed my post to the standards. Sorry about that!

Oddly enough, I'm sure I didn't delete the template - there wasn't any when I started the post.

Problem Description

Lately our intro screen started mysteriously crashing our devs' computers. We eventually tried downgrading NWJS and figured it only happens on the latest two versions, 0.30 and 0.31.

Attach a Capx

Here's the capx: drive.google.com/file/d/1v2CdCfp_SDK6zNkhmpPsRApRJhHfmfbn/view

Description of Capx

All there is in the capx is a webm video and an event to play it.

Tutorial

Just run the layout on this minimal capx (or presumably any other webm/any other video) and you'll see what I'm talking about. It happens 100% of the time, whether its exported or not. It seems to consume more and more memory until the video stops playing adequately, and eventually crashes.

Expected Result

No crash, obviously.

Affected Browsers

NWjs 0.29 or later

Operating System and Service Pack

Multiple Systems including windows 7, 8 and 10.

Construct 2 Version ID

r259

• TheRealDannyyy

I can confirm this is also happening in the latest 31.5 version of NWjs, I don't see they have any opened issues about this, can we post this bug with a construct exported example?

BTW, it looks like a memory leak, the process jumps by 1GB every second, till it can't take any more.

• TheRealDannyyy

I can confirm this is also happening in the latest 31.5 version of NWjs, I don't see they have any opened issues about this, can we post this bug with a construct exported example?

BTW, it looks like a memory leak, the process jumps by 1GB every second, till it can't take any more.

Randomly checked the bugs section to find out that I didn't receive a notification, thx new forums!

I will look into this when I got the time and create a bug report, if Ashley doesn't do it before me of course. Could one of you guys please confirm that this bug doesn't occur in NWjs v0.28.0?

• > TheRealDannyyy

>

> I can confirm this is also happening in the latest 31.5 version of NWjs, I don't see they have any opened issues about this, can we post this bug with a construct exported example?

>

> BTW, it looks like a memory leak, the process jumps by 1GB every second, till it can't take any more.

Randomly checked the bugs section to find out that I didn't receive a notification, thx new forums!

I will look into this when I got the time and create a bug report, if Ashley doesn't do it before me of course. Could one of you guys please confirm that this bug doesn't occur in NWjs v0.28.0?

I figured as much...

This actually starts at 30.0, up until 29.4 there were no issues.

• I've looked into this and it looks like a memory leak caused by the NW.js workaround for the autoplay policy that got implemented in Chromium M66. Here is my report regarding this issue: Github Link

You guys can feel free to test if playing back the WebM manually with a button press is causing the same issue. (Disable autoplay in plugin properties before testing.)

Cheers!

• Thanks man, I'm following the issue on git.

I don't think that manually triggering a video with a button is relevant, even if it works. nobody wants to click a button to see a cut-scene ;)

• Thanks man, I'm following the issue on git.

I don't think that manually triggering a video with a button is relevant, even if it works. nobody wants to click a button to see a cut-scene ;)

Was just for testing if autoplay is at fault (too lazy to test it myself :b). Anyway let's see how this one goes. Will post updates in here if it gets a fix or any thing else happens.

• I see, so I tested it, still crashing with autoplay set to 'NO' and source load on button click.

• I'm not sure if it helps, but I made a test with Pode HTML Div plugin.

I added a video tag with the same video file, made it preload and let it play and it doesn't hang, memory and cpu usage are normal.

It's a hack-y work around, but it's better than having your game crash, at least until this issue is resolved.

here's the example:

badpadgame.com/videodiv.capx

This is the DIV plugin:

construct.net/forum/extending-construct-2/addons-29/plugins-pode-html-pack-46896

• I'm not sure if it helps, but I made a test with Pode HTML Div plugin.

I added a video tag with the same video file, made it preload and let it play and it doesn't hang, memory and cpu usage are normal.

It's a hack-y work around, but it's better than having your game crash, at least until this issue is resolved.

here's the example:

http://badpadgame.com/videodiv.capx

This is the DIV plugin:

https://www.construct.net/il/forum/extending-construct-2/addons-29/plugins-pode-html-pack-46896

I guess it's good to know that there is a workaround for people that have to use newer, affected versions of NW.js but I'd still recommend using older versions instead of doing this.

• > I'm not sure if it helps, but I made a test with Pode HTML Div plugin.

>

> I added a video tag with the same video file, made it preload and let it play and it doesn't hang, memory and cpu usage are normal.

>

> It's a hack-y work around, but it's better than having your game crash, at least until this issue is resolved.

>

> here's the example:

> badpadgame.com/videodiv.capx

>

> This is the DIV plugin:

> construct.net/forum/extending-construct-2/addons-29/plugins-pode-html-pack-46896

I guess it's good to know that there is a workaround for people that have to use newer, affected versions of NW.js but I'd still recommend using older versions instead of doing this.

I'm a little hesitant about rolling back NW.js, can't it cause issues with storage files structure changes or other incompatibilities?

• > > I'm not sure if it helps, but I made a test with Pode HTML Div plugin.

> >

> > I added a video tag with the same video file, made it preload and let it play and it doesn't hang, memory and cpu usage are normal.

> >

> > It's a hack-y work around, but it's better than having your game crash, at least until this issue is resolved.

> >

> > here's the example:

> > badpadgame.com/videodiv.capx

> >

> > This is the DIV plugin:

> > construct.net/forum/extending-construct-2/addons-29/plugins-pode-html-pack-46896

>

> I guess it's good to know that there is a workaround for people that have to use newer, affected versions of NW.js but I'd still recommend using older versions instead of doing this.

I'm a little hesitant about rolling back NW.js, can't it cause issues with storage files structure changes or other incompatibilities?

Yes, that's not really an option for you so the workaround is currently the only choice you can make besides waiting for an official fix.

• This might be nothing but what format are you using in your webm file? WebM VB8 or WebM VB9 and could you try encoding and using the other type please.

There are several online converters but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I use ogv files in my project and it also happens.

• I use ogv files in my project and it also happens.

Ok that's nothing then. Weird thing is that I couldn't reproduce or at least notice this when using shorter WebM files. Perhaps the issue only occurs at a certain file size or video length.

I'll keep looking for more convenient workarounds while the issue is still active.

Headbang Games Could you do me a favor again and try to reproduce this issue with an exported project using Construct 2 r256 or earlier? I have the Steam version (no downgrade possible) and can't export with NWjs in the free non-Steam version.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)