memory use

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • I'm making a dressup game for ipad and phones, and my memory use says 170 mb which I know isn't very good.

I've read the blog posts about memory use, but it's hard to optimize this game since it needs a lot of clothes and color variations of all the clothes also. So there is a lot of images!

But I now have all the objects in the layout, and just make the different "closets" invisible and visible when the user presses the buttons in the menu.

Is it better for memory usage if they are placed outside of the layout and are created and destroyed instead?

As I've said, I've read the posts about it but I still didn't quite get if it still takes up memory usage even though it's not all on the layout all the time.

It's a lot of work to change everything so I thought I'd just ask for advice here first!

• These days 170mb isn't that bad. A lot of devices have 1gb+ memory now.

• Oh ok! I haven't put nearly everything in yet though, so it's probably going to be like double that..

But when I try it on my phone there is no problems at all, and it also doesn't have any animations or stuff like that so maybe it should be fine anyways!

Do you know if there is like a limit I should keep under for the newer devices?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I agree on what ashley said regarding memory usage but you should still destroy non-used objects on the layout on startup on negative(-) coordinates since many objects present on the layout (even invisible) still affects fps and cpu usage. I recommend preload images on startup by putting all sprites(images) or tiledbackgrounds(images) that are going to be used on you layout on the outside part of the layout and destroy on startup , create to insert the outfit & destroy to remove the outfit.

• I agree on what ashley said regarding memory usage but you should still destroy non-used objects on the layout on startup on negative(-) coordinates since many objects present on the layout (even invisible) still affects fps and cpu usage. I recommend preload images on startup by putting all sprites(images) or tiledbackgrounds(images) that are going to be used on you layout on the outside part of the layout and destroy on startup , create to insert the outfit & destroy to remove the outfit.

Ok, that makes sense. I will probably change it anyways then, we'll see!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)