[SUGGESTION] Deeper Topic levels in Creations

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Unlock Levels, Worlds & skin plus add coins by watching ads
  • I think it might be a good idea from what I've been seeing in the "Your Creations" thread/topic to break this up into 2 or 3 sections.

-Look what I can do (tech demos and tutorials)

-Hello World (beginners popped cherry posts)

-I'm old and cranky (The serious game devs)

Just in the light of people getting mad at other bumping their own posts to the top of the first page. I admit it's a pain to post something and have it dropped down to page 3 in one night and no one see's your hard work. No one really pays attention past page 3 unless they're real hunters.

And when you're a total novice and you hit page 3 without so much as a comment I bet that would feel downright miserable.

So I suggest breaking the forum into 3 separate groups to be fair to ever one for what they do. I honestly feel like an ass posting a tech demo in that forum and bumping someone's work off of page one, so I don't post very often.

Let's get some hell yeah's from the crowd Jayjay mineet !!!!

Chris

• I'd love to see this break down even further into genres of game/misc applications/tools/examples/art/etc.

Everything you make is a "creation", or made up of many creations, and so it's really hard to find the type of games I want to play amidst (still very cool) art, or tools.

Seeing new things from other areas too is useful though, maybe add a "random latest creation" option to make it easy to find something made in the past 2 pages of each sub topic or genre.

• It would be amazing , but don't forget that newbies may post on the serious dev forums just to get that attention , as no one would check that section of the forums ... ( no seriously :P )

• I totally agree on classifying sections in complexities, especially in the "How do I"... a total beginner / intermediate / advanced mathematics classification would also help to make each easier to navigate/search.

• Whiteclaws Haha! I agree - I guess a mod would have to keep that in check. I look at all of the beginner stuff though. I ignore the rep points for the most part.

Someone could come in after having downloaded C2 and worked on something for months without asking for help - then post something short of a masterpiece. Never want to over look the noobs ;)

• damainman; I agree it would be a really good idea..I think it would benefit everyone.

There are different levels and categories of creations and game developing in the forum but all squashed into a small space of topic area..

very few get the recognition they deserve..unless you bookmark each one they soon become lost...

• Sounds like a very smart idea. This type of categorization would certainly make it much easier to find what you're after!

So I'm happy to give it a "hell yeah"!

• They talled about that but with the how do I section , and it didn't come to a conclusion , which is too bad ...

• I guess a mod would have to keep that in check.

Which means that instead of you having to look and sort the posts, that's a job that would be issued on mods.

And, as far as I'm concerned (and only talking in my name), that's some time I can't spare/job I'm not willing to take.

I hardly look into the "your creations" forum, and have already enough of moderation/moving/answering topics/posts around in the other forums.

You'd be surprised the number of topics that need to be moved because newcomers (and not so newcomers) just seem to not care about the structure of the forums and post wherever they want to.

• because newcomers (and not so newcomers) just seem to not care about the structure of the forums and post wherever they want to.

Bingo , And that's why we should display the "tips on how to post" as soon as the user creates his account , like other websites do for their rules

it may be a bit of work to implement , but it will help us on the long term

Anyways , that's my 50 cents

• > I guess a mod would have to keep that in check.

Which means that instead of you having to look and sort the posts, that's a job that would be issued on mods.

And, as far as I'm concerned (and only talking in my name), that's some time I can't spare/job I'm not willing to take

I have to agree - not only would that take a lot of doing for us, it's also highly subjective what quality level a work is at and people are likely to get offended if we pick a category that the person disagrees with, not to mention we would have to research or play everything that gets posted to properly determine the category. The amount of work it would require is the same reason that games put on the arcade are auto-approved now - it was just too much for us to deal with to approve them manually.

I also agree that the 'your creations' section is a bit problematic as it is, though I'm not sure of the best way to do anything about it. Maybe something sort of like the TIGSource forums have might work, having a section for completed games and another for devlogs/in progress ones. Then when someone has finished a game, they can start a new thread in the completed games section?

Thinking about it, even if users do post in the wrong area and simply we leave them there, having multiple categories might be better anyway. We would get at least some categorization that way, as I suspect most users would place their threads in the right place. Tech demos(or call it experiments instead?)/devlogs/completed games sounds good to me in that case.

• Arima I wouldn't expect anyone to sort every post on the forum, that's an crazy assumption. But as is the "Your Creations" has become a mess to sort through.

I think it should be 3 or 4 separate places to post - 80-90% of beginners post something and then ditch it entirely. They should have their own section and if they are serious they can ask to have it bumped to a real devlog section. Never thought of a finished section, that's a great idea too. But a tech demo one is good - like I said, I myself feel stupid bumping beginners off the first page with a "look what I did" post.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • For starters, we could get rid of or combine all the dang sticky threads. That would double the amount of space on the front page. It's really a 2:3 ratio of sticky threads to creation threads.

But a released/in-progress division alone may be worth it. Also, you could have a 'showcase' section where a few games get the limelight for a week at a time or something.

• It could be made easier by allowing users to flag a post as 'wrong category' so the mods can check it out and act on it if needed. Same amount of work to move things, but less time lost in random browsing.

I also quite like the percentage of completion on the topic title in the TIGsource forums.

• allowing users to flag a post as 'wrong category'

This.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)