Improve performance by 400% (EBooks)

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Improve performance by 400% — Now for sale in the Scirra Store!

https://www.scirra.com/store/ebooks/improve-performance-by-400-2197

<h3>What is this e-book about?</h3><div class="deshr"></div><p>In this e-book I write about the most effective optimization tricks I've implemented in my recent game Zombie Annihilation. After implementing all those improvements some parts of my game recieved even 400% optimization boost. After all my overall app performance at least doubled. </p><p>In this e-book I focused on explanation of how to optimize the CPU usage and how to think about performance while building the game events.</p><h3>Who is this e-book targeted to?</h3><div class="deshr"></div><p>I believe mobile developers will find it the most interesting, since mobile devices are much weaker than desktops. However everything what is covered in this e-book (except the Intel XDK part) can (and should) be implemented also in desktop and browser projects.</p>

Use this topic to leave comments, ask questions and talk about Improve performance by 400%

• Do you have a game examples with high performance even if game is advanced on events side?

• Hi delgado

As I wote in e-book description:

[quote:3evqemuw]In this e-book I write about the most effective optimization tricks I've implemented in my recent game Zombie Annihilation. After implementing all those improvements some parts of my game recieved even 400% optimization boost. After all my overall app performance at least doubled.

So yes this ebook is based on my experience. Zombie Annihilation works now 55-60 FPS most of the gameplay time. Before implementing those optimization tricks it was about half that.

Please also note that it is built using Intel XDK with Crosswalk 15, CLI 5.1.1 (so it is not the new build system yet).

Let me show some test results (this is a content from the ebook) about collision optimization.

Before optimization

After optimization

This is the part where I actually got a 400% optimization boost. From ~40 000 collision checks/s to ~10 000 collision checks/s.

• Thank you for big reply. This looks useful

Im thinking of improve performance in my game

I have one group events this group cause 25% of cpu usage

Your ebook help me fix this problem on this events?

Your game have lot of objects

my game have lot of events, global variables

• And what if my game has NO collision detection between objects, involved at all?

Are there many tips in your eBook that can dramatically help in cases where rendering [not collision] is the primary drain on framerate and performance?

I am looking at the eBook on the store, but if you don't have much advice on the rendering side of things then maybe this isn't going to be helpful for my current project.

• delgado I don't know your project, so I can't exactly say. But this part looks very unoptimized from what I understand, so yes. You can have probably a huge performance boost if you read my ebook.

Give it a try. If you won't like it you can always ask Scirra for a refound. But first read it and if you have any questions or doubts, contact me. I will help you with this part.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • And what if my game has NO collision detection between objects, involved at all?

Are there many tips in your eBook that can dramatically help in cases where rendering [not collision] is the primary drain on framerate and performance?

I am looking at the eBook on the store, but if you don't have much advice on the rendering side of things then maybe this isn't going to be helpful for my current project.

Please take a look on the Table of content. There is a part about rendering as well. I don't know you project so I can't really say how much helpful my ebook would be for you regarding rendering. But there are some universal tricks which work everywhere.

Again note that you can always ask for a refund if you decide that it has no use for you.

• Your game have lot of objects

my game have lot of events, global variables

Than I believe the most useful part of ebook for you will be "Re-factoring to triggers" (starting from page 26).

• I just recieved a question by PM if my ebook will be useful for CocoonIO users as well.

Yes it will no matter which wrapper you use. Optimization tricks which are covered in this ebook are not only for mobile devices but for any C2 development no matter of the destination platform.

There is only one chapter regarding optimization in Intel XDK and it is the only one part strictly related to the mobile development - all the rest is universal. I would say the Intel XDK part is more like an extra content.

• Is there some setting in Intel XDK that improves fps app?

• Hi tutbarao

Yes there are some Chromium settings which you configure in the config xml. It is covered in the e-book, but if this is the main part that interest you then please read my tutorial How to build optimized Intel XDK Crosswalk app properly?.

I have covered this part there as well.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)