Resolution vs number of users

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on numbers in the proper order and reach the sun!
  • when i get my project off the ground i'll probably make a resolution changer plugin if it's possible. i'll have a look into the sdk

if anyone has experience with the problem of differing resolutions, what needs to be taken into account? as in zoom, layer scaling, image sizes, behaviors, etc? assuming you want your game to be identically sized, just with higher or lower res,

so i can figure out whether its even plausible

I did this with a very early version of Chamber. You have to scale the layout and the layer scaling so you still see the same amount of play area around your character. You could get away with just zoom if you didn't care about the visible area to the player. In some games I guess this wouldn't really matter, but in other games (especially multiplayer games) this could give players an advantage if they could see more of the play area.

Making a plugin for this would rock, but it would have to take into consideration the native resolution that the graphics were drawn in, and the aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9, 16:10).

~Sol

• The issue of resolution is certainly an issue, and while it seems that you can do it in Construct, exactly what the best way to go about this is seems fairly unclear. I've started another thread in the support forum about this issue (before I found this topic, my bad), and there seems to be a few potential workarounds to it, but no definative solution.

Also are the DisplayWidth/Height expressions supposed to return the resolution of the monitor, rather than the game window, because I find it gives me the window size, which is the same as using the ScrollXRight or ScrollYBottom expressions. If this is what it is supposed to do, then a new expression that finds the actual width and height of the monitors resolution would certainly make scaling much easier.

I also like the two factions that seem to have sprung up, regarding high-res/low-res artwork for games. One group advocates the use of tiny windows and retro graphics to enable gameplay for as many people as possible, while the other group wants massive high-definition artwork on mega widescreen displays. I think both styles have their place, and some suit certain types of games better than others. For my current project though, I'm all up for lovely HD graphics at big sexy resolutions. And widescreen support is a must. I HATE it when games are made 4:3 only and look all stretched and crappy on my nice monitor. Support for ALL resolutions is greatly needed!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also are the DisplayWidth/Height expressions supposed to return the resolution of the monitor, rather than the game window, because I find it gives me the window size

I saw your topic, though I am not sure what to do for widescreen-verus-not scaling myself. (I'll read through the rest of this topic..)

However, after seeing the topic, I did find the Sys Info object (under System, near the bottom). It has SysInfo.GetScreenWidth and SysInfo.GetScreenHeight, giving the actual display's width and height.

At least I guess it would before you enter fullscreen mode.

• >

> Also are the DisplayWidth/Height expressions supposed to return the resolution of the monitor, rather than the game window, because I find it gives me the window size

>

>

I saw your topic, though I am not sure what to do for widescreen-verus-not scaling myself. (I'll read through the rest of this topic..)

However, after seeing the topic, I did find the Sys Info object (under System, near the bottom). It has SysInfo.GetScreenWidth and SysInfo.GetScreenHeight, giving the actual display's width and height.

At least I guess it would before you enter fullscreen mode.

Yes indeed, thank you sir, that's exactly what I needed. I'm getting there now, I think if I was only better at maths, I'd have this sorted by now. Time for much trial and error.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)