Legal issue in similar music

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
6 looping tracks to use in your games and projects. These tracks are in the style of the 1960s detective movie genre.
  • Dear community,

We have a lot of music that sound very similar to each other, and I think this could be ugly when it comes to legal issue. But I don't have knowledge in law in this regard, so I want someone to assist me in this.

I would like to discuss about legal issue in similarity in music. When would it be ok and not ok to have similar music? Listen to the following songs:

-----

In these 4 music, there are some similarities one way or another.

and

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Notice the similar introduction?

and

The airship theme sounds quite similar to Mars: The Bringer Of War, and even more similar in Super Mario Galaxy.

and

These also sound fairly very similar.

and

While the melodies are all different, the structure of these two music here are similar.

from Sonic 3 And Knuckles is pretty much a 16-bit version of

These two... sound so identical.

Here are sites that provide even more examples:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SuspiciouslySimilarSong/VideoGames provides hundreds of similarities in video game music to other media.

soundsjustlike.com/2710/taylor-swift-sounds-like-coldplay

Also relevant: Will We Ever Run Out of New Music? youtube.com/watch

-----

Now, given all the links above, when do we consider a piece of music to be an inspiration of another music and not a ripoff? For me, if the composer has shown that it's not a blatant ripoff, and he/she did really rearrange the components, that is good enough for me, even it sounds similar to another music. But when it comes to law, how do we do this? When will it be possible for one to accuse another if something in the music is too similar? Or perhaps a better question might be when will someone raise hell on you?

Or am I approaching this problem incorrectly? I got several music in my game, and I see that some parts of a few of them sound similar to some other songs I've heard, so this makes me feel worried. It's not a blatant ripoff, but they got some similar elements one way or another (like those links given above).

Any advise is appreciated.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's a pretty wide grey area, even in commercial music.

There is no way to determine if one song is still just inspired by or ripped off from another song. That decision is made on a case-by-case basis by the corresponding court, I'm afraid.

• Eisenhans thanks for your reply. Decision is made on a case by case basis in court? That would be like everyone got a gun pointing at everyone, and we may not even know who are pointing guns at us.

• hat would be like everyone got a gun pointing at everyone, and we may not even know who are pointing guns at us.

That is an accurate description of the legal situation in all entertainment/media/patent/license-related businesses, but most especially music.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)