Law about the use of other game assets

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this asset pack!
  • Something I have been trying to understand and read upon is the act of using another games sprites, or any form of asset created for that game and the legality of it?

A game like IWBTB, surely he didn't have all the rights by contacting each individual developer asking permission to use their intellectual property? (technically, he could and i could be wrong)

So there must be a law allowing us to use other games sprites? I really wanna make a game clashing all my favourite 8 bit platforming games and it would save me a bunch of time just using sprite sheets on the internet for the game, am I allowed to do this? If so, do I have boundaries on what I can do with my game etc.?

Thank you =]

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There is no law that allows it.

There are people that steal, and people who sue them.

If you're still not sure, the rule of thumb is: do unto others.

• So basically, if I ever wanna make a game like this, just don't distribute it.

How did the guy who created IWBTB get away with it? That got some success, did he have the rights?

• I haven't really talked to Kayin a lot.

Maybe you could ask who made the other game.

I wouldn't want to be the guy that gets in a lawsuit.

• I really wanna make a game clashing all my favourite 8 bit platforming games and it would save me a bunch of time just using sprite sheets on the internet for the game, am I allowed to do this? If so, do I have boundaries on what I can do with my game etc.?

The question is easy to answer: No, you are not allowed to do this. The use of other peoples property always requires a written consent, and only those people can grant you rights like using them for commercial use.

In almost all cases you will have to pay for a licensed use.

You can, however, wait until something falls into public domain. It is hard to tell, when exactly this happens, but as a rule of thumb the life of the original author plus 70 years. I'm afraid this is more of interest for the next, or next next, generation of game designers

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)