Kodu From Microsoft

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
  • Has anyone seen the Kodu Program from Microsoft yet?.It's basically a learning tool on how to program games.You can also create your own 3d worlds with it.It runs on top of Xna studio 3.1 and you can create xbox360 games with it quite easily.Ive downloaded it and my kids love it.

• Yes, and there have been a couple of threads about it already . Here's a link, check it out bro!

• Lol yes i can see that.But comparing Construct with Kodu lmao.Kodu is a learning tool for kids and it's got 3d environments,Construct is a full on programming tool for 2d games.

• AFAIK you don't need to know coding to use Construct, with programming I think of programs like C++, Blitz, DarkBasic and the such, with Construct you just use events to make an object do something.

• Python means programming if im not mistaken.And the event's mean that you program the sprite what to do ,It's just cleverly disguised.For instance sprite.X+25 looks alot like the C# and C++ language but it's just alot more simplified for the end user.

• Python IS programming but events are not, to me programming means when you have to write a block of codes, scripting could be programming to a certain extent but writing X+25 for events and such is just small tiny bit of coding, nothing compared to real programming that I am yet unable to grasp.

• Indeed you are right my friend.Coding can be a daunting task.But once you get used to all the scripting ,Compiling jargon then the rewards that you get from that can be great.I have created many applications using C++ and C#.Apps with c++ and c# are still quite difficult to master ,And creating games with that can be a total nightmare.

That is why there are such great programs like Construct etc...But Some say that if you use a program like Construct or any other Click and Create program that you are not truly a games developer.But when they say this About Construct i can say with pride "ah but CS uses the python language therefore it's not a Click and Create program".So with CS you can have the best of both worlds.

• Python IS programming but events are not, to me programming means when you have to write a block of codes, scripting could be programming to a certain extent but writing X+25 for events and such is just small tiny bit of coding, nothing compared to real programming that I am yet unable to grasp.

I think Construct is: programming with events, without traditional coding (although it is possible).

1 example of a possible definition of Programming:

scheduling: setting an order and time for planned events

creating a sequence of instructions to enable the computer to do something

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

It doesn't really matter though. It's only definition...

• ... the event's mean that you program the sprite what to do ,It's just cleverly disguised.For instance sprite.X+25 looks alot like the C# and C++ language but it's just alot more simplified for the end user.

Programming means having to learn syntax and structure. With things like Construct and MMF and such you don't have to, all of the options are available at a click and the structure is built for you automatically. The only thing you need is an understanding of basic logic and math.

... Some say that if you use a program like Construct or any other Click and Create program that you are not truly a games developer.

And those people would be wrong. The only criteria you need to satisfy in being a game developer is to create a game.

• "And those people would be wrong. The only criteria you need to satisfy in being a game developer is to create a game."

I like what you said deadeye and you are absolutely right , I just hate it when some ignorant programmers tell me that im not really a games dev because i use programs like Construct to create games.Maybe they are just jealous because they could never write such a brilliant piece of software like Construct.

• I wonder why people care more about the program you use to create the game rather then the game itself, It is not fair that a reviewer say's your game is crap just because you used a WYSIWYG program to create your game, no matter how much effort and high quality the game is, I saw many high quality games with Construct and I could care less that they were done with Construct, the gamer should care about the game not the program used to create it, same goes for Game Maker and the such, GM also has it's great share of games that are worth playing.

• It's all about the money these days,If you don't own a billion dollar games studio then you will never get recognised.The gaming industry is a brutal industry.Even if you create your own game engine and produce quality titles there will always be critics who will say that you cut corners to create your games.Like that one guy "i don't know his name right now'" But he created a new polygon system which could run high end games on a low end pc at the same framerate as highend pc's can.They already criticised him ,Telling him that he is cutting corners and using unfair tricks to get the games to run on low end pc's.

The same goes for 3d cg artworks.If i use a program to create 3d art then it would not even count as art.they say it's to structured therefore it cannot be seen as art.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I agree and I think I know the 3D engine you're talking about and it annoys me that he got such idiotic critic, he should be applauded for what he did imo but business is a war, each tend to criticise other and they trick others into buying more of their products by selling half-finished products (like a graphic card) and then they add more to it (but not necessarily finish it and possibly put bugs on purpose) and call it a new name, this isn't the best example of business war games but you should get the idea, it's full of tricks and logic really and as you said it's the money that they care about so they sell the costumers half-working crap.

Business is all a monopoly game.

• That's why i will never ever use a commercial 2d games creation package.I had a few of them with more bugs than Construct could ever have.CS is the best "free" 2d games creation package ever.

If i was rich i would donate at least 2 million dollars to scirra so that they could create an even beter Construct.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)