Game links, bonus content, unlocks

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Pixelrebirth and I were discussing this in chat the other day, and I thought I'd mention it on here, see what others thought of it.

A long time ago, before some of you were even born. A guy called Peter Molyneux, had a great idea for his games. He came up with this idea that each game would in some way be linked to another. Even though the games would be entirely different. For example, a game like Magic Carpet (Bullfrog) would put you into another game based in the water if you flew into the ocean, or if you flew really high, you'd be in a Populous style game. But only if you had those other games installed, otherwise it would continue as normal. Each game would still be it's own game and entirely playable on its own. But doing certain things would let you move over into another game. Events in each one may or may not effect things in the other games,

Nothing, to my knowledge ever really came of that, probably because Magic Carpet wasn't really successful, though technically was really good for its time. But it did get me to thinking it could be pretty interesting if it were done here, with construct games.

-

A lesser and simpler method would be unlocking game content from one game, that applies to another game. For example you could find a special object in a Zelda style game, that has a curious combination written on it. Which turns out can be used to unlock a bonus level in another game. While simply completing another game, will unlock a special edition weapon in someone else's platform game. So on and so forth. Different games entirely, but grouped together by the bonus content (not game breaking content, or content required to complete the game. Just bonus items, levels, features etc.).

It could also help to get the not so visible games noticed more than they might have been otherwise.

Opinions etc?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • i like the idea but there may be problems like-

-the player may not have both the games, well but its kind of an advantage because the player may get curious and buy the other game too just to see the bonus

-if you are going to use codes then many will just google for it and then the main concept of unlocking may get spoiled

but well, in both cases the developer will have the advantage(his/her game will $ell )

-if the games are being created by more than one developer then both have to be in agreement and IF for some reason one cannot include a feature then the other will also have to remove the bonus and everything will get kind of mixed up

at the moment I haven't thought of all the outcomes of this idea but it may be a problem for those who don't want to collaborate

• i like the idea but there may be problems like-

-the player may not have both the games, well but its kind of an advantage because the player may get curious and buy the other game too just to see the bonus

-if you are going to use codes then many will just google for it and then the main concept of unlocking may get spoiled

but well, in both cases the developer will have the advantage(his/her game will $ell )

-if the games are being created by more than one developer then both have to be in agreement and IF for some reason one cannot include a feature then the other will also have to remove the bonus and everything will get kind of mixed up

at the moment I haven't thought of all the outcomes of this idea but it may be a problem for those who don't want to collaborate

It's not like law that they have to or anything LOL!!! It would be a simple choice between friends. You make it sound like it's some construct law that'll be passed that everyone will have to do, which it isn't, it's just an idea for friends to link their games to each others in some way for fun.

And I never mentioned selling, lol.

• well, umm...I took it in a more commercial way, but i didn't say that it should be like a law and those who don't follow it will get their intestines ripped off

if this can be done just for fun, then it's ok it will not cause any harm even if the player just google's for the code( i think i forgot you mentioned that it will be just a BONUS to the game)

and looking on the positive side it will help developers in spreading their game(surely better than spamming on forums)

• Bioware does this ... and it's annoying. If you bought Dragon Age CE, you got armor for both Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2. If you bought and beat the Mass Effect Iphone game (which was awful), you unlocked something for Mass Effect 2.

If you want to add something, do DLC or an Expansion. Don't force people to get a game they probably don't want (or they would have bought it already) for something added.

If we're talking freeware then this whole topic is irrelevant

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)