Cash For Game Titles Question

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hi,

I know a lot of companies do the whole royalty / profit share schemes mostly these days, but was wondering if anybody knew of any companies who would be prepared to buy games outright ( assuming it was of commercial value ) ?

I'm looking for a list of companies, etc that do this sort of thing, where I would recieve an agreed set price and then hand over all copyrights to the game, and the game itself, to the purchasing company.

• I guess major part of game portals provide such model of publishing.

For example you should check "Big Fish" or "Oberon Media" and their offerings.

Also you can find useful this link

• Just a heads up, make sure you get yourself a good deal. I think a lot of this type of company will have pretty harsh terms and take most of the profit.

• Thanks for the replies and links. appreciated.

Ashley, that's kind of the idea, I would assume that once I am paid, and hand over the rights, I no longer have any say in the game or any profit generated thereafter. I'm curious to find out what sort of prices I could possibly be looking at up front for a whole developed game.

Regards.

• Almost no company will take a game made with a tool like Construct, I am sorry to say. At least, no professional studio not run by former hobbyists. They would want the source, which in this case would be the cap ... they're not going to do anything with that even if they go get Construct themselves.

This has been my experience with a similar situation regarding MMF2. If a company shows any interest at all, first thing they will ask is if you can get someone to rewrite the game for you in a proper language. Extremely rare (talking lottery here) for them to offer to do this for you.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well if you didnt want to hand over all rights there are companies that could publish it for you? I mean im sure you have thought of this since you are wanting to get rid of the game it self.

But if you were looking for company might be wanting to publish games you could look at http://meridian4.com/. and look at corporate and you might find some information on what they might do to help you out and what not, they were something i was thinking about working with on a construct project. Real case is that they dont want source but to publish game so you just make an installer or what not that includes all that construct needs to run and there you go so they wont care about source.

• Yeah, you'd be much better off trying for a publishing deal, but even then it won't be like your game will be sitting on shelves next to the latest and greatest.

The best goal in my opinion, is to try and get your game on a platform like steam.

• Thanks for the extra information.

• Yeah, you'd be much better off trying for a publishing deal, but even then it won't be like your game will be sitting on shelves next to the latest and greatest.

The best goal in my opinion, is to try and get your game on a platform like steam.

But wouldn't Valve want the source code to? like you said earlier "Almost no company will take a game made with a tool like Construct, I am sorry to say. At least, no professional studio not run by former hobbyists. They would want the source, which in this case would be the cap" so wouldn't that be the same thing?

• No, Valve wouldn't ask for the source code. Generally, a company will want the source if they are going to be the ones doing anything with it. If you are just going to them to use their platform, all they would want from you is the royalties and a quality product.

Updates released on Steam for non-valve games are submit to them by the developer. The way they update that stuff doesn't require the source code.

• The reason I ask is on their site "Steamworks" they ask you to send them a demo of your game and if they choose it to be on Steam they send you their SDK (Anti-piracy, other tools) so how would I incorperate that sdk into a construct program if I don't have access to the source code?

• I have no clue. The games they sell are mostly C++ that will except the SDK.

That said, I would look for more of the smaller on-line publishers that sell he little games. You will not make a 1 time sell but share in the revenue every time some one makes a purchase. Then again you can always start your own site.

What kind of time frame are you looking at? Do you have a full featured game finished?

• It's still under construction, but most of the mechanics are done(Pretty easy considering construct does most of it) as for a time frame, I still need things developed (Music, and Art) I have an excellent SFX/Music guy working on the project and I'm 85% sure I have an excellent Artist coming on soon. I offerd them 10% each of the games return(Royalties) I think it may take a few months to get it done, and get all the reasources together and implimented. Just a question do you program in any languages like C#,C++, or VB? or do you know anyone really good at Flash programing?

• The reason I ask is on their site "Steamworks" they ask you to send them a demo of your game and if they choose it to be on Steam they send you their SDK (Anti-piracy, other tools) so how would I incorperate that sdk into a construct program if I don't have access to the source code?

Right, but that's not them asking for your source code, that's asking you to add their code to your source. Which brings me back to the reason why most publishers won't take a game made in a program like Construct -- they would likely ask you to remake it in a proper language.

Your best bet is to go with a small company that publishes indie games. (And yes, Steam does publish indie games, but they are all written in a language).

• You could write a plugin im sure.. At start of layout do the required for steam. But yeah that would require a little work but no you could get it to work. Many indies can see success without the need of steam. Steam is nice and all but you could do good with out it.

On a side note offtopic and kinda on topic.. ModDB is releasing a new digital distribution service that is coming out in april. Maybe you could see if there is any success there with your title as well under the idea of self publishing.

http://www.moddb.com/groups/desura/news/introducing-desura

You can sell a game in construct, just you need to put forth your own work towards it. And some options may not be available off the bat but you could possibly get something out there from other indie sources and review sites like

http://jayisgames.com/

http://www.tigsource.com

that can get you out there and you could self publish also. These are just some options if you look into it you could find a lot of ways to self publish and make a living.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)