Are you religious?

0 favourites
  • I think this topic has the potential to stir up division and disunity within this community, if people keep sharing their opposing views.

• I think this topic has the potential to stir up division and disunity within this community, if people keep sharing their opposing views.

Well think of it this way, everyone is different and everyone have their point of view, its ok to share your opinion if you respect other opinions and vice versa.

• I can see what you're saying about the church, yes it has made stupid claims and done many stupid things in the name of God, however some Churches are getting back to the truth written in the Bible and realising what it really means to be Christian. (and no I don't mean what the media portrays of the bible and church).

My point was that the truth, as far as the Church is concerned, is always changing.

And no, the truth as far as science is concerned doesn't change... the truth is always there waiting to be discovered.

The difference is science advances by gaining new knowledge, and the the Church advances by discarding old beliefs. There's a big difference there, if you think about it.

And I'm not sure what you mean about "going back to the truth written in the Bible." The Bible hasn't changed that much in the past few hundred years. The one thing that's changing is the official interpretation of it. So I'm wondering why, if the bible is true, the official word on what it actually means keeps changing.

Truth isn't something that changes. Truth is immutable. So how can the Church keep changing it's mind and still claim that it's professing truth? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

• Not many churches go by the Bible anyways. Ever wonder why there's the Baptist Church, the Lutheran Church, the Methodist, and so on? Each of them accept parts of the Bible and discard others. It's sad, either you believe in the whole Word or not. You can't pick and choose. There is so much junk going on today it is sick.

There is evidence that through the many years and translations the Bible has not changed in it's message. Sure, many people out there preach false teaching which in turn makes Christianity look bad. In fact, only one church goes 100% by the bible, the Seventh-Day Adventist church, which also holds the Sabbath.

Just to make a point clear: the "church" and individual faith are to different things. The church isn't necessarily a "good thing" i.e. the crusades and Roman Catholicism enforcing their faith by the sword.

And the Bible teaches that church doesn't save you, accepting Christ does.

• Just to make a point clear: the "church" and individual faith are to different things. The church isn't necessarily a "good thing" i.e. the crusades and Roman Catholicism enforcing their faith by the sword.

Oh I know, that's why I'm aiming my sights at the Church and not at individuals.

• In the beginning, there was nothing, and it exploded by chance....?

Evidence for both sides is quite lacking (if the Bible is not counted as evidence), and the only thing that really seperates the religious from the atheists is hope/lack of hope.

Religious person: "Wow God sure made a beautiful world! I bet heaven is going to be so great"

Atheist: "God, what God? This is just one instance out of the whole universe that science didn't screw up, I could call it a miracle, but like I said, God doesn't exist. Besides, life is all we have, there is no heaven or hell, we just disappear back into nothing."

But before you bash me on my view of atheism. Would you honestly say anything more positive than that?

Edit: Although this forum could end up into a slight religious/non religious war. If we remain intelligent with our comments and don't hold a grudge on other people for it outside of the thread can it stay open until it goes right off topic?

• I believe in God.

Evolution theory is just silly, for me. We aren't monkeys :S

Also God is much more likely than a explosion that came out of nowhere.

• Evolution theory is just silly, for me. We aren't monkeys :S

Nobody said we were.

Also God is much more likely than a explosion that came out of nowhere.

And may I ask why that is?

• > Evolution theory is just silly, for me. We aren't monkeys :S

>

Nobody said we were.

> Also God is much more likely than a explosion that came out of nowhere.

>

And may I ask why that is?

As far as I know, Evolution Theory says that we evolved by monkeys and several other creatures.

Also, is an explosion came out of nowhere, what is the source of it? And if you find a scentific solution explaining the source of the explosion, what is the source of the source of the explosion? It's impossible to explain everything with science.

I've also seen many things about miracles, not the old ones, and not unuseful ones, but cancer and tumors disappearing without any reason.

You can explain 90% of the world with science, fair enough. What about the other 10%? Also, why ChemicalA + ChemicalB = ReactionC? You can explain what happens, but not why. There's still lotsa things that cannot be explained, and many events, miracles, and other stuff points to the existance of God.

Anyway, I don't hate Atheists and other religions, I don't judge people from their religion, I judge people from their maturity and intelligence.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • As far as I know, Evolution Theory says that we evolved by monkeys and several other creatures.

That's casting it in a rather simple light. Do yourself a favor and study up on the material. At the very least, it'll make arguing your point of view easier.

Also, is an explosion came out of nowhere, what is the source of it? And if you find a scentific solution explaining the source of the explosion, what is the source of the source of the explosion? It's impossible to explain everything with science.

Actually it's possible to explain everything with science, it's just not probable that humans will be able to. Even so, that's hardly a reason to jump from point A to point Z by saying "God did it." It's a dangerous assumption. Science may be the slow route, but it's safe. It takes us through point B, point C etc., confirming each point before moving on to the next. I'd say we're getting close to D by now.

Also, why ChemicalA + ChemicalB = ReactionC? You can explain what happens, but not why.

Actually, you can. It helps to be a chemist though.

Anyway, I don't mean to say there isn't any place for God in the world or anything like that. I just don't see any place for God in the physical world. Let God rule over the spiritual realm. Some people need Him, let Him be there for them. That's all good. There's nothing wrong with spirituality, it's the Creation myth and Church dogma that I mainly have problems with.

• Not to say anyone's wrong (as we can never know for sure), but personally I can't see any convincing argument against evolution, ala natural selection. There's a well documented case of two types of moth in London. Once the industralial revolution started, soot and ash was caked onto many trees, causing the brown moths to be easier to see, and eaten. Darker moths evolved, and thrived, and now there's only one type. We didn't 'evolve' from monkeys, as in, we didn't turn from monkeys into humans. Gradually, monkeys with advantages over others (that could run faster, could hunt better) survived whilst others died out. Over a very long time, these advantages have become prevalent and those advantages are what make up humans.

Anyway, I don't mean to say there isn't any place for God in the world or anything like that. I just don't see any place for God in the physical world. Let God rule over the spiritual realm. Some people need Him, let Him be there for them. That's all good. There's nothing wrong with spirituality, it's the Creation myth and Church dogma that I mainly have problems with.

I agree with this. Religion and God provide hope and reason to many people, spiritually and mentally. Religion is a good thing when it teaches morals and provides happiness.

• i agree with deadeye somewhat, you cant believe alot of the thing the bible says, infact i think the whole point of religion is to set rules, whats good and bad, its stupid to think a book written some 2000 years+ ago is true, if youve ever played the telephone gmae youd know why, couple with that the fact that the church was a kniving bastard in medieval times, who knows what they did to the bible to cull sience and make their views seem absoluteley right. the ideas layed in the bible are good, but its dumb to believe that a large man in the sky made the earth in 7 days, and the stars, when they give no mention of the other things ever made. its all so vague it cant be proven. i dont know how ppl can deny some things, and darwin is pretty right, you cant believe that there wasnt 50 different types of human ranging from human to monkey, adapted for their enviroment (iceage letsay) discovered and dated throughout the history of our existance, and this goes for every single animal and plant on earth. you cant deny science, science is proven, and if its wrong it changes for the better, but some things are absolute. darwins theory may be slightly off who knows, but there IS proof to support it, and a hellofalot of it to say the least. i doubt god would even give a shit about the evil humans who kill each other over land they should be sharing when he has a whole damn universe of things to watch over. i believe, god was the one who lit the match, and started it all, because something had to be there before anything was there. but since weve seen so much around the universe thinking the bible is right is sorta insane. maybe there was a man named jesus, and he did things which the ppl interepreted as they did, he was no doubt a great man, i as a christian, believe in all this, but denying the proven things is stupid, imagine a world where we deny proof that a man was a murderer, and let him live free, chaos. i think of god, as the things we cant prove. he put those there to assure us of a higher power, so sit tight, and instead of wasting your life going into a church so that you can be told excactly what god probably doesnt want you to believe, you should be doing something like enjoying what gods given us, and trying to figure out what he put here, so that we could figure out him, religion is a quest for god, god is the "proof". science is a quest for proof, so science should be part of religion anyways. if god cares about you, god would want yoto live life to the fullest, thats what he intended, for everything, religion is a technology itself, so not believing science is the excact opposite of what god wants

• I'm religious in a spiritual sort of way. Peace and love, really.

• We are not monkeys => evolution is false

We can't explain everything => god exists

WRONG

• > We are not monkeys => evolution is false

>

> We can't explain everything => god exists

>

WRONG

Evolution is just a theory. You have no proof, we have faith.

We can't explain everything => god doesn't exist[/code:3jhj2vr1]
    WRONG
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)