A few questions about what I should do first.

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
  • Hello everyone!

I'm Jason and I'm quite new here. I'm aspiring to be a game designer by hiring people to make my game ideas into games for me! I tried playing around with CS2 and found that my aptitude for programming is quite... lacking.

Thus I decided to browse the "Help Wanted" section for people willing to work for peanuts! Er I mean a cheap rate that I might be able to afford.

Now my question is how do I go about contracting this person(if he or she is interested)? Should I start a limited liability company first? Should I talk with the person in depth regarding the project? Should I seek out legal advice/service?

I am also very interested in how not to be ripped off. If anyone can advise me on how I can prevent my ideas being stolen I'd be more than willing to thank you.

Also since I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum section I'd be much obliged if the moderators moved it to it's proper subforum.

Thank you very much for reading.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Programming is one of the most essential skills of a game designer : you have to be able to know whether your concepts can be put in practice, write technical documents and be able to communicate very well with programmers.

Without that, the likelihood of pushing interesting team projects to completion is low.

Yes, there are many things a game designer should know about, but the technical aspects of the job are by far what will take most of your time.

Moreover, leading a team requires strong leadership skills, including the ability to take decisions, handle conflicts and take responsibility for failures.

If you have little experience there, I'd recommend that you at least take several months programming little games from the ground up and look at the templates and tutorials provided with construct 2. You can also dig resources like Codecademy for a progressive introduction to the world of programming.

Take care,

Nathan

• Thanks for the reply, but it seems like I've worded my title incorrectly. What I meant by "A few questions about what I should do first." was in regards to contracting a programmer to program the alpha prototype for me.

What is a good contract template people use when they contract a developer to work for them? When should I create my LLC? Is making a contract with someone not in the US(my current residence) inadvisable?

I have a general idea of what I want in my game therefore I'd like to contract someone to make it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)