Best Laptop for Making Games

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • I have been using my older laptop working on my games more than my desktop lately for convenience but I am trying to justify buying a newer laptop and so far my arguments are pretty weak and my wife isn't having it.

I mostly enjoy making really retro style projects so 360x180 res with low quality scaling so not having enough power isn't really a concern.... most of my games run flawlessly on any computer or phone I have tried them on and even working with some others on projects pushing the C2 limits my current laptop still performs just fine. I am not using any high end tools for art or sound either mostly get by with paint/GIMP and famitracker/bfxr.

My only real arguments are wanting a longer battery life, nicer screen and maybe using a touch screen for artwork but the little I have played with a touch screen I don't think I would really use it. Does anyone have any recommendations on selling points to buying a new laptop for game making when I really don't NEED one? Or any suggestions on laptops to look at?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well any laptop seems to work well really... technically you should build it (or at least test it) on the worst machine you expect your users to have. I personally use a HP Envy M6, I find the battery life to be pretty decent if you turn your brightness down. I tend not to use my touchscreen much these days, I personally find it more of a gimmick, I never really use it unless I fold it into a tablet. (Obviously it's always easier to play angry birds that way though )

• This is a very large question. It all depends on how invested you are in this - is game design a hobby or a career? - and how much you are willing to pay. Nvidia are good. The X5 CAMO 15.6" 4K IPS, Intel i7-6700HQ, NVIDIA GTX980M 8GB GDDR5 Gaming Laptop is probably the highest performance machine on the market. Now, of course that will run you just over 2 grand. Not always a practically and financially responsible approach. There are certainly cheaper out there. Ultimately though I think it has more to do with the person designing than the machine you are designing on. If you know you're stuff, you will be successful on whatever machine you choose.

• Yea I understand I don't really need a new machine mine does the trick just fine just trying to justify buying a new toy. I was more hoping to hear some benefits to getting a new machine like special tools or hardware that people find particularly useful in the game development process. Possibly some good use for the touch screen or something along those lines.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)