Make a retro game. Gain 45$

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
75 arcade sound effects. A mix of classic arcade sounds; explosions, bleeps, buttons, some great bonus sounds etc.
  • Sounds like a cool opportunity. 2 Questions:

-Does length of the game matter? For example, would a single level platformer work like in those mini-games like Warioware?

Knowing this will help people that are considering doing this. Or would you rather have a tight little indie like game jam game with multiple levels (in this platforming example) ?

-Would the game be included, or would you withhold the 30$ if we were to slip our website or author name into the game somehow? Like a simple text name at the bottom of the screen. I'm really curious on how you feel about that one.

Thanks

• Yeah, I would be curious on the credit given to the dev...

If the credit is right, and I could use it on my portfolio, I might throw some games together!

(Would I still own the rights? or would they be completely yours?)

• Sounds like a cool opportunity. 2 Questions:

-Does length of the game matter? For example, would a single level platformer work like in those mini-games like Warioware?

Knowing this will help people that are considering doing this. Or would you rather have a tight little indie like game jam game with multiple levels (in this platforming example) ?

I am looking for early NES styled games at the moment, with a little bit of indie/jamish/molydeux/kitsch/camp/bootleg twists to them. It's a pastiche/parody to old games.

The amount of content per game would be similar to NES Donkey Kong, or Mario bros. (original, not super). I want bite sized, but complete games.

At the moment, I am looking for aid in making "first party" games. They all have a certain theme to them and requirements.

Later, there will be third party games on it which you could sell at our store, and, optionally, by yourself. Semi-digitally. I will put quality control on these games, just like the ones I make myself or with the help of hired devs. Something similar to "Nintendo Seal of Quality" actually.

-Would the game be included, or would you withhold the 30$ if we were to slip our website or author name into the game somehow? Like a simple text name at the bottom of the screen. I'm really curious on how you feel about that one.

Thanks

Yes, at the tittle screen of games, and at the "so-called developers" section on the website.

Yeah, I would be curious on the credit given to the dev...

If the credit is right, and I could use it on my portfolio, I might throw some games together!

(Would I still own the rights? or would they be completely yours?)

Yes, you will be fully credited.

The first party games I am currently looking for are to be kept exclusively at Gurgosus website.

After the release you will be able to add your third party games to Gurgosus, provided they will be high enough quality and they will fit the technical requirements.

Third party games can be uploaded anywhere else, if you want.

• The website looks nice bookmarking it

• Vikuserro, are you still looking for games. I have one you might like.

• Hello, just quick info - the project will start sometime tomorrow ^^

• Hello! Sorry for the delay with the news ^^

Platform is currently functional, yet it still needs more titles to be completed (13 are planned by the end of 2015, 5 of them are done, 4.5 by myself). As I stated before, I will explain how it works here, publicly, as soon as I am ready with the pre-premiere. I need a perfect, long post for that.

As the high quality is a must, I have tremendous amount of work ahead of me, so any help with game development would be appreciated ^^

Also, I am Increasing the payment to 45$.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm quite interested in this. $45 for a European student is a lot of money lol.

Do we have to make our own sprites or can we use some free ones from a website like opengameart.org ?

• I want all sprites to be original. Games need their unique look ^^

I make exception for for sprite fonts though, as long as they are PD.

Music can be provided by me, I use famitracker for that.

All art-style and music needs to look feasible on famicom/NES, so no translucency (use blinking for that), rotating/resizing sprites and fading particles allowed.

Also, the game/menu layout must be NES like. No mouse allowed. Dev should know how games operated back in the 80's and what (convenient or not) standards were used in design.

The main deciding factor is the ability to make presentable NES styled game. I always check whatever games in developer's portfolio look nice and well though on the graphics side.

• Hey vikuserro, I have a game that might work for your platform. How do I send it to you?

• Pm, or email me ( ) .

Let me look at it ^^

• hey Vikuserro, I can work for this project again. Send me a PM or email

• I'll send you the game this weekend, want to fix a bug I found. What controls do you need? Controller, touch, or keyboard and mouse?

• Just keyboard ^^

Z, X, enter, select and arrow keys.

Here is the general guideline:

Guideline:

• Make an early NES styled game.
    • size: 8*8, 16*8, 24*8, 16*16, 32*32, 64*64, 128*32 etc, 4 (max 5) colors per sprite. No colors in-between (on purpose or by resizing).
    • Don't rotate sprites.
    • Don't use gradual fading, more than 4 particle particles (you can use them sometimes, but rotation/gravity/slow fading is not allowed).
    • Don't resize sprites. Fonts should not be resized also.
    • Don't use translucency. Make objects blink instead.
    • Use Spritefonts for text.
    • Don't use effects.
    • Don't use mouse/touch.
    • Use simple tittle screen.
    • Controls: Z,X, left, right, up, down Tab and Enter (Return). If you are going to make a character jump, use X, treat it like A on the NES pad. Use A, B etc. to refer to buttons in-game.
    • Don't Change the resolution of the game (320x240), don't zoom it in or out.
    • Never use resources/sprites etc. you found anywhere on the internet (well, except for fonts provided bellow, or any other Public Domain fonts). - I added this point to avoid copyright problems etc.
    • When you are done, send me the .capx ^^ I will polish them and export them myself.
    • You can make your own music in famitracker - if you can't - I will include it for you later. Use famitracker/bfxr for sound effects.
    • Don't let your sprites be blurry. If a sprite is 16x16, it has to stay that way.
    • Obviously, use tiled backgrounds when making something tiled.
    • Don't forget to make the tittle screen fit the NES style.

Here is the .capx used as a base for every single game:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... RONLY.capx

• Controls: Z,X, left, right, up, down Tab and Enter (Return).

I always cringe a little when I see this controls layout in games. I'm referring to the use of the Z key. In central europe the QWERTZ keyboard is being used. The main difference to your usual QWERTY layout is the switched positioning of the Y and Z keys. This makes it very awkward to play titles that use the Z key for QWERTZ users. Sure, you can change your keyboard layout in windows to fix this, but it's not very convenient.

It's better to use X and C instead, because they're consistent for both those layouts.

Just had to bring that up.

Other than that I'm kinda intrigued to see what comes of this project. Good luck!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)