Forming a Dev Team

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • Hi,

I have always liked the idea of working with a team. This kind of projects tend to disappear and it's hard to get them working. I'm here to try to create a lasting team to develop a few games.

The idea is to have a small group of people with different skills working on a project together. I'll be the project director, that means I'll give tasks to everyone to keep things organized, but stuff like the game we'll develop, the name of the team and all that will be decided by the whole team.

Once the team is formed we'll have a meeting (over skype or similar) and each one will propose a few ideas. We'll vote and start the development. I'll write the design document and email news and tasks to everyone each week.

I am a game designer, I love reading about game designing theory and those abstract concepts, but I can do some coding and basic art (I also own a construct license); and, as said before, I'll be taking the role of director. I'd like to create a couple of small games and then, who knows? we'll see if we can get this team working.

If interested post introductions, skills, previous projects and e-mail.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Honestly, everyone wants to be the game designer. If you want experience try offering to work with a team or you'll just end up working on your own.

• Honestly, everyone wants to be the game designer. If you want experience try offering to work with a team or you'll just end up working on your own.

I don't think everyone wants to be the game designer, maybe they want to be the guy with the original idea but game designing (example: level designing) is pretty hard and requires a lot of work. I'm not saying I'll choose an idea and let the others do the work, I'm just saying I'll help with the main features of the game but I'll focus on serious game designing (not just the original idea).

I've been working in games for a couple of years and I really like being a game designer, I read articles, books, make prototypes and all that; I'm not one of those guys "who just have the idea".

And I didn't say experience is required, but I'd appreciate if they had something to show (even if it's a game they made in a couple of hours).

• I'll be the project director

No , this won't work

Everyone wants to be the director , but does one really have the experience needed ?

How much game did you make , publish ? Design documents you wrote ?

No one likes directors , everyone hates BAD directors

• > I'll be the project director

No , this won't work

Everyone wants to be the director , but does one really have the experience needed ?

How much game did you make , publish ? Design documents you wrote ?

No one likes directors , everyone hates BAD directors

I've worked as a director many times, during game jams and regular events; and I have written design documents each time. I also have experience managing teams in stuff not related to games.

I don't think being the director is something fun, you have to write lots of e-mails, asign tasks and make sure everyone completes them (it's a pain in the ass). I just said I'll be the project director because I feel I can do it, things doesn't work when there's not a director from the beginning.

I rarely work solo, right now I'm working in two different projects with two different teams; I never had a complain from the rest of the team and I've worked several times with some of those people. I just thought it'd be nice to have a team formed by users of this forum.

If some people want to post just saying it won't work or think that I'm just some immature kid who "had an idea and wants to have a team to make that wonderful game for him" so be it. If someone liked the idea from the first post feel free to reply or send me a PM.

• I have a question. What are you bringing to the table in terms of completion of the project?

Who are you emailing?

Who are you calling?

What is your part in getting the game finished?

Are you bringing content to the game?

I'm a programmer with no other asset creation skills. Do you have artists, sound designers, composers?

What tangible elements that you can provide; that say Draspur can't? What projects have you managed to get to a commercial state?

• dude, where is the proof , do you have testimonials , this is just talk with nothing to back itup

• I'm not interested in forming this team anymore. I'll email the users who PMed me in case they wanna join my project for Ludum Dare October Challenge.

Regards

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)