How should I approach Steam? If I even can?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • I've been developing a more than remotely complex and robust A-RPG gamekit/SDK using Construct 2 for over two years and it's definitely reaching much closer to release, so much that a late-spring/early-summer release is very inherently possible. My gamekit/SDK is intended as more of a development tool (thus, being a gamekit/SDK) but a lot of time recently, a suggestion of a release build/exe for Steam has come up, especially that I could have a lot more sales as a result, but it was usually suggested by people not familiar with Construct 2 or the project's function as a SDK for a full commercial game so approaching it with Steam is confusing and difficult to plan at best for me.

If I can approach steam and have it actually feasible to do so given my project's nature, how should I go about it and if there are ways indeed possible?

For one, Construct 2 encrypting graphical assets on export is an issue to me, and as much as Construct 3 is a solution to that, it's not an actual one and would require monetary investment on my part, even if I'm likely to make that investment back double and then some. I thought some method like RPG Maker's RTP addons could be possible, maybe. Though , as is, default mockup assets would be fine.

The second issue comes down to handling maps and also adding completely new items and enemies, if someone wishes to do so; beyond editing the non-graphical properties of things already implemented. I could easily just make sure to provide plenty of internal-engine slots for new items, etc, enough that most won't complain if it's +1000 possible items or so. I know I could also easily create a map editor for the engine natively but that's a big can of worms for me personally with little experience with JSON/data beyond dictionary usage, especially since it also concerns me whether or not I could/(or if it isn't possible natively) have the game get permission to automatically create new external layout files for if a completely new map is added.

• Its kind of iffy to use Steam imo.

A: Construct already has a bad rep from people doing cash grab games.(and this caters to that(no offence))

B: In essence you're offering a capx rather than a executable.

Perhaps you could try other markets like Envato, or other asset stores.

• If it's specific to Construct, then sell it on the scirra store and advertise it on the forums here.

If your editor is more generic, you can sell it on steam as an executable, but you'll somehow need to offer runtime code for Unity, gamemaker, and other popular engines out there to attract more customers. This is a bigger project, and I strongly advice against going that route if you're still worried about the subscription fee to get C3.

newt people don't care about the engine as long as the game is good. I believe it's unhealthy to compare yourself to asset flippers when you're a honest and descent developer. These people have no moral compass, and make shit games anyway. So I believe the best course for us devs is never to thing about them.

• newt people don't care about the engine as long as the game is good. I believe it's unhealthy to compare yourself to asset flippers when you're a honest and descent developer. These people have no moral compass, and make shit games anyway. So I believe the best course for us devs is never to thing about them.

I'm saying this fact lowers the marketability to a point that it may not even be profitable on Steam.

Given the overhead of just getting it listed it pretty much guarantees that.

It's a niche item in a an untested market.

It's like selling ink at a newspaper stand.

• newt I agree that OP should do some form of market research, maybe ask people on different forums what they think.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That's kind all I needed to hear even if I did want to investigate whether ot not Steam was a option, provided it was the right platform. It clearly isn't and I'm well aware of the quality control and such issues that Steam has and that it's also a lot worse for indie devs now than it was, say 10-15 years ago.

I'll be staying here locally with Construct 2, thanks guys.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)