Epic Games launches it's own PC and MAC games store

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
It's here!
$4.95 USD
Creepy and nasty horror track. It's terrifying from the beginning till the end. Goosebumps guaranteed
  • Link - unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/announcing-the-epic-games-store

TL;DR: Another "Steam killer", but boasting that "Developers receive 88% of revenue".

Main point:

All Engines Are Welcome

The Epic Games store is open to games built with any engine, and the first releases span Unreal, Unity and internal engines.

The news are super fresh, i do really hope that Ashley and Construct 3 will reach out to Epic games to discuss what needs to be discussed.

• I assume it will work just like publishing to Steam. You export your construct 2/3 project to NW.js then you upload those NW.js files through whatever process that Epic creates.

But the language in the blog post is a little confusing "...and the first releases span Unreal, Unity and internal engines". I would find it very odd if they ONLY accepted Unreal & Unity games. And how would they differentiate an "internal engine"?

• They mentioned their store will support Android as well. If I can publish my PC/Mobile game once and it can be played both on PC and mobile, this could be the perfect platform for my game. + much better revenue share for indies and less crowded marketplace than Steam (for a while at least).

• Fib - Epic mentioned games they will have some sorts of achievements and social stuff like that on their store. Most likely Construct will have to make a plugin to communicate Epic store's API. Stuff like that is usually undertaken well beforehand. And since Ashley didn't answer in this topic I guess that he is well aware of Epic store and needs no additional notifications.

Volbyte > much better revenue share for indies and less crowded marketplace than Steam

Many indies i talked to are skeptic for the moment. Bigger share and less competition means nothing if there will be no players interested in indie games. For example, in theory i can create my own web store for my indie game. I will have 100% revenue and zero competition, but no one will visit that site and those who do will (most likely) refrain from buying.

Anyways only time will tell if Epics succeed. There are others who try or tried to compete Steam (Itch io, Gamejolt, GoG, kartridge, Discord etc) and it's only starting to give effect (i mean Steam started to do smth with their outdated software and standpoint).

• Maybe the "Soon to come" New ScirraArcade will be better then Epic store. Much less competition, only construct games allowed :)

• NoSoul8 Sites like ich.io are great, but I think it takes a huge company like Epic to challenge Valve. They're probably counting on the fact that they own UE4 and that hundreds of millions of Fortnite players already have Epic Launcher on their computers but yeah we will see if it works out or not.

Steam has really been burning bridges with indies due to the recent bug and favoring big studios with their new revenue share.

• Volbyte

Steam has really been burning bridges with indies due to the recent bug and favoring big studios with their new revenue share

Steam is burning bridges left and right :)

They were lazy sitting on their monopoly for years. Steam client has some bugs not fixed for 6 (!) years. New platforms are biting bits and pieces from Steam's pie, but it will take incredible effort to shatter Valve's monopoly for desktop games. I really do hope that some one will succeed with that. I'm sick and tired from Steam's position on some matters, but have nowhere else to go with my games.

• It will be years before Steam is overtaken. Players will not just instantly stop using Steam. Many players have hundreds of games in their library (I myself have 60, which is tiny for most players I think). It's very easy to open up Steam to browse your library and then pop over to the store to see what's new.

The advantage that Steam has and will continue to have for a long time is the number of players browsing the store (organic traffic) per day. When a dev puts a game on Steam they automatically acquire a massive audience, which if their game is attractive enough they have a chance to convert them into paying customers.

• Fib

It will be years before Steam is overtaken.

Yes, of course. Only time will tell if anyone succeeds at that.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Volbyte > much better revenue share for indies and less crowded marketplace than Steam

You know as soon as the store opens everyone with a game on steam will just upload it to epics as well.

They could give devs the option to give out keys like steam, so If you already have the game in your steam library you’d get it free on epics store.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)