[Effect] mode7

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A total of 214 high quality and unique magic sound effects suitable for RPG, Battle Arena and more!
  • I think I found the fix.

I left a transparent pixel of border around the ground sprite. It's working now!

• I started playing around with the mode 7 effect and really like it. I'm using R0j0hound's capx. I got two questions about it.

Is there a way to get the closest sprite to appear infront of the sprites behind it?

Is there a way make sprites that the player can't go through like walls? using solid behavior didn't work

• Bodhran

Probably sorting by y would be easiest

for each sprite ordered by sprite.y ascending

--- sprite: move to front

You'll have to this before mapping the position to the mode7 position.

• R0J0hound

Thanks for the help. It works great.

I don't understand exactly. I enable solid behvior with code first then create the sprite with mode7 position? It didn't work for me.

How do I stop the sprites from looking at the player to create walls? I have tried all the mode7 effects and couldn't find what does it.

• Bodhran

All the effect does is distort the image or sprite to be on a 3d plane. Positioning stuff like walls requires math matching the distort or using the plugin by rexrainbow. To do something like keyo is doing, you'll have to use separate objects with different mode7 settings. There's a capx with the math earlier in this topic, but i still recommend the plugin.

What I mean by collisions is to design the objects and walls in top view so they move around as wanted. Then you take those positions and map them to the distort as explained above. It's probably a bit tedious to do though.

• R0J0hound

Thanks for the help but Mode7 might be too complicated for me. I have tried everything I could think of with rexrainbow's plugin and can't get the walls to work properly even trying to change the sprite when the player isn't directly facing them.

• Strange question, but is it possible to overlay admob ads over sprites with mode7? I've been using this for a retro demoscene-style menu and admob doesn't seem to overlay in front of sprites with mode7.

• I don't get how collisions would work in a Mode 7 style kart game. Anyone explain it to me?

• Zebbi

So ads don't show up over sprites with effects? Maybe change the zorder of the ad?

The trick is you don't do collisions in mode7. You do it in a top view. Basically the entire game is implimented in a top view and as a last step the mode7 effect is used to give the prespective look. The parameters are tweaked so the effect is angled from the player's view. Then all the other objects are posioned with Rex's behavior.

• Is mode7 +Rex capable at this stage of recreating a bare bones Mario kart/wacky wheels clone? Interested in this technology and clickteam have that raycasting plugin which is cool, is this almost there?

• Zebbi

Probably. All the effect does is distort a texture to be in perspective. Rex's behavior hides the math to position sprites on the distortion.

So you'd design the game as top view and map those positions to the mode7.

So in a nutshell they are tools you can use to make a game like that. Nothing more will likely be added.

• R0J0hound cool I'll take a look at them!

• I noticed on the rex example that objects have x/y position numbers as instance variables, is it not possible to convert their physical positioning in the layout editor to their placement in the 3d plane or does every position have to be manually set in the instance variable?

• Zebbi

I'm not sure I follow, the object would need two sets of positions, one for it's top view position and one for how it will be on the mode7 view. I'm pretty sure the behavior only converts the top view position to the mode7 one.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Zebbi

I'm not sure I follow, the object would need two sets of positions, one for it's top view position and one for how it will be on the mode7 view. I'm pretty sure the behavior only converts the top view position to the mode7 one.

Well, on the example mode7fx_objs theres four sprites and each one has both a m7x and m7y variable which is set to it's physical positioning on the plane, am I correct? The actual position of it in top-down space doesn't appear to correspond to how it appears in 3d.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)