[DISCUSSION] Are vertex shaders possible?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Just starting to get into shader programming and all the examples I've looked at so far are for pixel shaders--is writing vertex shaders for the C2 engine possible? If so, are there any examples I could look at for that?

• All the effects are just pixel shaders. Vertex shaders applied to quads aren't too interesting so I can see why they wouldn't be included.

Now if you were to learn how to use webgl you conviably could write a plugin that uses a custom vertex shader.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Vertex shaders applied to quads aren't too interesting so I can see why they wouldn't be included.

they give a lot better performance, depending on what you're trying to do. i don't want to do any premature optimization so it's not a particularly high priority but i'd still like to have the option open.

• C2's render is quad only so the vertex shader would have only 4 vertices to manipulate, so there wouldn't be much variety in shaders. Also there is the overhead of changing the shader and sending the parameters to the gpu. My argument is it would probably be slower with such a low vertex count.

Vertex shaders could be useful if a plugin was made that had a high polygon mesh, but you'd be doing custom webgl to render that anyway so that would be the place to do it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)