Q3D V-2.4 [3D Physics + Skeletal Animation UPDATE]

From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • Zebbi , I think you could make a simple fps game if you wanted, but you'll need to at least get comfortable with concepts related to 3d. There's plenty of useful information about that sort of thing online. It might be difficult if you have no clue about how 3d stuff works, but it's fun to mess around with stuff and learn.

Yeah, it's just the examples don't really give any insight as to how I could use the layout editor to actually map anything out or position stuff, it looks like you'd need to use advanced 3D expressions to set everything up and it looks really, really advanced. Yes, there's plenty of events you can use but it all needs math expressions to use effectively as far as I can tell. Is there any way of using the layout editor to do some basic mapping which could then be turned into a basic raycasted 3D space? I'm not trying to use models or anything so far, just sprites in a map that's projected into 3D would be great.

• Zebbi , I think you could make a simple fps game if you wanted, but you'll need to at least get comfortable with concepts related to 3d. There's plenty of useful information about that sort of thing online. It might be difficult if you have no clue about how 3d stuff works, but it's fun to mess around with stuff and learn.

Loving your Croc3d prog, really fascinating tool. I'd love to use that to make some pieces to use with Q3D, but not sure how difficult that would be.

• Zebbi , thanks- yeah, that's what I'd do. I'd use something like my Crocotile3d program to create the map and export it, then import into construct2 using q3d.

That's what I did with that example gif. I think I had to flip the y axis, or rotate the model to display correctly- q3d gives you options for sorting that stuff out.

I then used a tilemap object and physics objects with chipmunk plugin to handle collisions.

I'm not sure how I would handle collisions for a fps game though. It would be easy if you could use a 2d representation for collisions like wolfenstein, and use a tilemap object, etc..

It might be possible to create your own collisions by raytracing geometry if you want something more 3d.. or maybe try using the provided physics stuff in q3d( I havent tested them out ).. But you'd need a way to place that stuff efficiently, and change it easily if you need to.

I wrote an experimental feature in crocotile3d to export the collisions tile data based on a map I construct in it, and then I just load that into the tilemap object. That way I don't have to setup the collisions in Construct2.

It only works for side-view style maps though.

I don't know how well you are at writing your own code/etc. But you might be able to export some object point data from my Crocotile3d program and create your own instructions in Construct2 that takes that data and use it to create/place q3d physics objects for collisions. But I don't want to suggest doing that since I haven't tried it myself and have no experience with the q3d physics, so I don't know how difficult it would be or what sort of issues it may have.

• Zebbi:

Using the C2 layout as top view changing the Z height per object. A bit like the old 'build' engine, just without a visual 3D representation until running the code. Different layers for different sections allow editing overlapping segments and toggling in-game visibility. I'm sure there are more effective methods.

luonnu.fi/AAA_screens/Luonnu_editing.jpg

• Hello fellow C2Q3Ders,

been learning and putting together the following project:

http://luonnu.fi

(currently optimised only for 60Hz displays)

My coding skills are very limited and as most I'm learning as I go.

Progression has been as intended with minor bugs, but after a few recent builds I've come across heavy instability and resource consumption.

I'm using immovable physics objects for solid mapping and using triggers to hide and show various areas during player map progression. Basic translation for player movement.

It seems as if the build is causing an unnecessary amount of calculation hogging up resources.

Is this a common feature from using too many physics objects? A limitation of Oimo physics? C2? WebGL? Three.js?..

Or have I just managed to screw up the code somehow?

-360 objects

-80 events

-CPU usage ~50% (i5 3,4GHz)

-4.6mb image memory

Zebbi:

As an old Quake engine mapper I use the C2 layout as my top view and just change the Z height per object. A bit like the old build engine, just without a visual 3D representation until running the code. Different layers for different sections allow editing overlapping segments and toggling in-game visibility. I'm sure there are more effective methods.

http://luonnu.fi/AAA_screens/Luonnu_editing.jpg

That's an interesting example! Can the engine be used without needing 3D models, but textures and sprites in a 3D area? I can model, but I'd like to start off small and just do some 2D designing that's shown in 3D.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes you can. To what extent, I don't know the limits, but you can make wolfenstein, doom, duke3d, daggerfall, etc. clones and simpler. There was something about texture alphas not rendering a particular way when overlapping some other alphas as the renderer draws sprites last. Changing render order with the C2 layout can prove useful as well.

Search this thread for details.

• thanks purplemonkey for the info and capx

• Yes you can. To what extent, I don't know the limits, but you can make wolfenstein, doom, duke3d, daggerfall, etc. clones and simpler. There was something about texture alphas not rendering a particular way when overlapping some other alphas as the renderer draws sprites last. Changing render order with the C2 layout can prove useful as well.

Search this thread for details.

Thanks, I'm not being lazy you understand, I just couldn't see anything in the examples that gave a clear indication as to what kind of engine could be made with this plugin. I might try models in the future, but for now I just want to try something very simple using the layout editor.

• Zebbi

You can lay things out in the layout editor from a top down/side view. Generally I recommend you do it with sprites and have those call functions to build your map out of objects at start of layout though. Sadly the construct 2 SDK is limited for the editor, so I could only make it simple where you are looking at the map from the positive Z axis towards the negative Z axis, and get a proxy of what you're doing from rough images of the bounding box/sphere rather than an actual rendering.

• Zebbi

You can lay things out in the layout editor from a top down/side view. Generally I recommend you do it with sprites and have those call functions to build your map out of objects at start of layout though. Sadly the construct 2 SDK is limited for the editor, so I could only make it simple where you are looking at the map from the positive Z axis towards the negative Z axis, and get a proxy of what you're doing from rough images of the bounding box/sphere rather than an actual rendering.

Do you have an ultra basic example of how to get started with a functioning first-person perspective walk through of an area build out of sprites/backgrounds that are rendered in 3D?

• mhm... lag ?

• what version of Constructor 2 is last stable version for Q3D or is everyone is just continue updating to the newest build.

• Zebbi , thanks- yeah, that's what I'd do. I'd use something like my Crocotile3d program to create the map and export it, then import into construct2 using q3d.

That's what I did with that example gif. I think I had to flip the y axis, or rotate the model to display correctly- q3d gives you options for sorting that stuff out.

I then used a tilemap object and physics objects with chipmunk plugin to handle collisions.

I'm not sure how I would handle collisions for a fps game though. It would be easy if you could use a 2d representation for collisions like wolfenstein, and use a tilemap object, etc..

It might be possible to create your own collisions by raytracing geometry if you want something more 3d.. or maybe try using the provided physics stuff in q3d( I havent tested them out ).. But you'd need a way to place that stuff efficiently, and change it easily if you need to.

I wrote an experimental feature in crocotile3d to export the collisions tile data based on a map I construct in it, and then I just load that into the tilemap object. That way I don't have to setup the collisions in Construct2.

It only works for side-view style maps though.

I don't know how well you are at writing your own code/etc. But you might be able to export some object point data from my Crocotile3d program and create your own instructions in Construct2 that takes that data and use it to create/place q3d physics objects for collisions. But I don't want to suggest doing that since I haven't tried it myself and have no experience with the q3d physics, so I don't know how difficult it would be or what sort of issues it may have.

Alex, do you have a capx that shows a section made in crocotile 3D imported and working in C2? Something like that example gif would be very useful!

• Zebbi , sure, I'll put something together when I have time, and get a capx available.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)