I’ve been using the built-in parallax system for a long time, it worked fine for 1 or 2 backgrounds, but when you try doing anything serious with it, it feels incomplete and painful to use.
I needed to have multiple backgrounds, each with its own scrolling rate. So I had to make like a hundred layers and fiddle with their properties. No way, that’s way too tedious!
I needed my backgrounds to stretch across the screen to give the illusion that the game world was infinite. After many hours wasted on the event sheet, I was so frustrated and my code could barely work. What a pain in the a$$!
I needed my backgrounds to look good no matter the zoom level, but as soon as I changed the layout size, everything went bonkers, and I needed to re-write my events from scratch. How aggravating!
I also wanted to add animated torches and smoke in the background. I needed single objects that don’t stretch or tile around the screen like the sun, a windmill in the distance or a planet in a top-down space game.
I needed more control over my backgrounds. And I believe you do too.
The Parallax Addon for Construct 2 and Construct 3 will help you painlessly add layered, parallax-scrolling backgrounds of all kinds in your game.
The addon is made of 4 behaviors. They were designed with ease of use and simplicity in mind.
It feels amazing finally being able to have beautiful layered backgrounds in your game without spending like a gazillion hours juggling events and layers.
List of Features
- Includes behavior files for Construct 2 (.c2adon) and Construct 3 (.c3addon).
- Supports animated (Sprite-based) and non-animated (Tiledbackground-based) backgrounds.
- Supports horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, and top-down scrolling in all directions.
- Supports screen wrapping in all directions in two distinct modes: stretching and tiling.
- Only requires 1 layer. You can have hundreds of backgrounds in one layer.
- Accomodates runtime screen size changes.
- Accomodates runtime layout scale changes (zooming in and out).
- Supports all full-screen scaling modes, all layout/screen sizes and all layout scrolling modes (bounded and unbounded).
- You always have full control over your backgrounds at runtime: you can move them, rescale them, change the tile size, and the addon will react to your changes and keep everything looking nice and good.
- Initially made for horizontal scrolling games, now it works for vertical scrollers and top-down games as well.
- All properties are fully exposed in the debugger.
- Supports saving and loading.
- Blazing fast performance on browser and mobile.
- Demo projects that cover horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, auto-scrolling and top-down scrolling.
- A detailed and easy-to-read manual to quickly get you started.
Without your support, this addon wouldn't exist
Purchasing a license on the Scirra store keeps this addon alive and always evolving.
If you did purchase a license, thank you, you awesome human being!
If not, then it's okay, you still get to use all the features available in the paid version. I've been broke before, and I wish you all the prosperity in the world.
Overview of the features in version 1.1
Demo of version 1.0
(Latest) Version 1.2.0 (April 27, 2018)
Version 1.1 (April 15, 2017)
Version 1.0 (December 18, 2015)
You are allowed to use this addon in your personal or commercial games, you are not allowed to resell it as is, or as a part of a template or an addon, you are not allowed to distribute it for free in your free templates or addons, instead, please redirect your users/clients to this forum thread or to the product page on the asset store.
For questions or bug-reports, please contact me at (email support only for paid users, please attach your receipt with your email) or post a reply below.
Check out these useful addons made by yours truly. By purchasing my assets you're not only getting professional products that will boost your game development, but you're also supporting the work of a passionate creator who loves Construct and wants you and your game to be a success.
Health completely manages the energy systems in your game, from health, mana to armor and the whole chebang! It's packed with features: health/mana/energy regeneration, invincibility, damage and death conditions, and a lot more.
Finite-state machines are the backbone of more advanced games. They take away the headache of organizing your events. FSMs are incredibly useful to organize your game menus and GUI, and also your enemy AI. The solution I made is lightweight, simple to use, and it will get the job done while keeping your events sheets nice, clean and organized.