Hidden Features #8: The Amazing Back Button

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Helping streamers give their viewers more excitement.
  • I don't know if I'm authorized to write one of these, but this one has proved extremely useful to me time and time again, and I haven't seen it documented. very nice time saver

in many situations where you think you'd have to copy and paste and expression or start from scratch to do something slightly different, construct's smart back button comes in handy.

Let's say you have a condition where if the x coordinate of sprite0 is greater than some complex expression, you take a certain action. Oops. Maybe you really should've tried this with sprite1 instead. You don't have to redo the whole thing with sprite1. Go into your original condition, and click back repeatedly until you can choose a different object. choose sprite1, and choose your the x coordinate condition again, and your complex expression will still be there. Did you mean to use the ycoordinate instead, click back and choose that condition. Even though it's a different condition, it will have your original expression where you'd expect it to be.

This works for much more complex situations as well. Suppose you had made a normalmapped sprite and you had the infamous lightsourcing expression "(MouseX - Sprite.X) / Sprite.Width" set for lightx. Now you realize you really wanted to use a heightmap instead. You don't need to copy and paste the lightsource expression or start from scratch. Add your heightmap effect before you delete the normal map, and then go into your normalmap:set lightx action, and hit the back button until you can choose heightmap instead of the normalmap. you'll notice that lightx is already selected for you under the new heightmap tab. press the next button repeatedly, and you'll see it's all filled out for you already.

The back button has this memorization feature in almost any situation you can think of that'd be annoying to redo, so try it out before you take the time to start an expression or condition from scratch. If you happen to stumble upon a situation where it doesn't work, you don't have to fear losing your brilliant expressions. Hit the cancel button, and everythings back to where you left it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • damnit, wrote this last night, now I can't edit my post. it was like 3 in the morning, now I see all the hidden features were done by devs

my bad guys

• It's fine this is a particularly useful one I use myself a lot.

• I use this pretty much all the time. It's great for quickly changing the object used.

• I use this a lot too

• These are rather more than useful to know - are they going to be added to the documentation/wiki?

• They have been here:

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/c ... n_features

A lot of other handy tips are documented in other wiki articles, so it does pay to read the docs.

• They have been here:

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/c ... n_features

A lot of other handy tips are documented in other wiki articles, so it does pay to read the docs.

Good one!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)