XAudio doesn't work, at all. Bug?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • Hold on, now I'm getting a whole new kind of crash.

It tells me to go to the debugger for more info. Then when I do, it tells me to report it here.

http://machriderx.googlepages.com/shooterbugged.cap

Just try running that. I don't even know what's going on now.

• I talked about how it suddenly managed to work in the chat, but now I'm getting the same crash out of nowhere again.

XAudio was working fine. Then after running my layout a few times, it eventually went from not starting up but only starting up when I use the debugger, to suddenly not starting up at all even with the debugger enabled.

I deleted everything except the XAudio object itself to isolate it this time.

Try this .cap out

http://machriderx.googlepages.com/xaudio.zip

Tell me if it crashes when you try to use it.

As for reproducing it, I can't even tell why it's happening or what's causing it. All that I know is that it was running fine, then suddenly after running it a few times, it started refusing to run at all. I know that's not very helpful, but I don't know what else I can do about this.

Edit: Hmm... it only seems to crash when I use a .wav file that has been loaded as a resource. However, when I use a file from a file path, it works fine. It seems like something is seriously bugged with how Construct handles resources along with XAudio (and possibly Vista?), but then again I dunno.

Edit: God damn it! Now the crash is happening with wav files I'm loading externally. I don't know what the hell is going on. The damn thing is completely broken, and the worst part of it all is that I can't even explain why.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Does the same thing happen with only loading from files and not using any resources at all? i.e. if in the example you sent, you change Load Resource to Load File, and delete all the resources? Does it only crash after separately running and closing the preview a few times? (that would suggest a memory leak)

It works fine for me, loading from files (resources aren't set up right when you move the .cap to another computer)

• Does the same thing happen with only loading from files and not using any resources at all? i.e. if in the example you sent, you change Load Resource to Load File, and delete all the resources? Does it only crash after separately running and closing the preview a few times? (that would suggest a memory leak)

It works fine for me, loading from files (resources aren't set up right when you move the .cap to another computer)

Yes, same thing happens when just loading a file with no resources.

Even after turning off my computer yesterday and turning it on right now, the problem is still there. I used to be able to load from an external file, but it will no longer let me no matter what. Now I can't load any wavs without it crashing on me.

"Does it only crash after separately running and closing the preview a few times?"

Well, I guess. I mean, it worked a few times with each thing after previewing it. I mean, first I had it set up so that it loads the second file from the resource. After previewing the game a few times, that stopped working (instant crash on preview, message saying to report the bug to Scirra). I then thought I could possibly load a third file into the resources to avoid that crash message, but that didn't work.

Then I just decided to load the file externally, and eventually after previewing a few times, that crashed as well and now I can't load a wav from inside or outside Construct at all. It's just crashing no matter what.

Edit: Strangely enough, if I set it up so that it loads an external wav file into a channel when I press a button rather than at the start of the layout, it doesn't crash.

I've somewhat averted this crash like that, for things that require playing a sound effect. For example, I made it so that the "shoot" button both loads the file into a channel then plays it, all in the same event.

Before I had it so that it only loads the file into a channel at the start of the layout, and plays when the button is pressed.

I also tried the way deadeye had it set up in his cap file, where he loaded a wav into a channel when the channel isn't playing.That gives me the "this may be a bug. report it to Scirra" error message.

In fact, here. Here are the error messages depending on how I load the wav into the channel.

Again, these messages are both the first thing that pops up as soon as I click the debug layout button.

Clicking the preview button just gives me an error message saying that an unexpected error occurred and that I should go to the debugger to find more info. Of coarse, when I do that, I get the above messages.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)