Wondering how to do this

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • Hey there.

I have this idea that i dont know how to do it.

Allright, it starts out with one picture over the layout. For example there is a door in the picture.

When you press the door you zoom to the door and go through it. Then another picture will be shown(basicly what you see when you go through the door).

So basicly i'm wondering how to do the zoom effect, should i set a hidden box that i zoom and scrool to ?(tried that but didnt get it to work) maybe there is another way.

I will be using alot of pictures, should i have them in sprites or is there a better way like using some box that the pictures are loaded into ?

Hope you understand this idea

• I don't know what is going on here, but I can't get it to work either! It seems so simple but I can't get anything to scroll or zoom. Must be doing something really stupid or .99.72 broke this.

Here is the .cap I have been messing with:

http://www.box.net/shared/girzgz2our

I updated the above link...

• I seem to be able to zoom things just fine scidave, but your .cap is missing so I can't see what's up on your end.

And eski, you can create a zoom effect by actually zooming the screen with System events, or you can fake it by scaling sprites. Either way. Perhaps a .cap of the problem you're having would help to fix the issue.

• I update the link to the correct .cap. I must be doing something really stupid because I tried the system events. Of course, this .cap has a bunch of other changes where I started fiddling with other settings, but it didn't work even before I tried adjusting extra random stuff.

http://www.box.net/shared/girzgz2our

• It's not a bug, scidave. If you want to zoom and scroll, you need an area to zoom and scroll into.

If you check "Unbounded scrolling" on the Layout Properties it will work fine. Or you could make your layout larger.

• I seem to be able to zoom things just fine scidave, but your .cap is missing so I can't see what's up on your end.

And eski, you can create a zoom effect by actually zooming the screen with System events, or you can fake it by scaling sprites. Either way. Perhaps a .cap of the problem you're having would help to fix the issue.

When i posted this first I hadnt even started on a .cap because i was just wondering how i would start this.

But i tried here, this .cap shows what i am talking about.

http://internet.is/eski/zooming.cap

The thing that i am trying to do is like a "woke up in a room" game.

You see a image and from it you can click various places and you zoom and scroll to that place.

I dont know what is the best way of doing this, stacking up lot of sprites top of each other or some other way.

You can see how i did it there, the problem is that i want the scrolling to be in the frame of the layout. You can see when pressing the lightpost that it goes out of the layout and when unticking the "unbound scrolling" then well nothing happens.

So basicly like when the door is pressed i want it to zoom and scroll to the door and then another image is shown which is inside the house.

You could open a new forum just for my questions

Btw... By any change is someone here from Iceland ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The thing that i am trying to do is like a "woke up in a room" game.

Wow I'm working on something that will make doing that kind of game a breeze.... but it ain't ready yet

i'll probably share here when I finish it.

• > The thing that i am trying to do is like a "woke up in a room" game.

>

Wow I'm working on something that will make doing that kind of game a breeze.... but it ain't ready yet

i'll probably share here when I finish it.

really, could you give us a hint and ETA on it ?

• Aren't those escape-the-room games pretty much in 3d? Or rather a 2d overlay on a series of static 3d images?

I remember playing a few that were pre-rendered. The zooming and scrolling was basically a 3d movie render being played. They weren't actually zooming the view, they were showing a rendered image of a zoomed-in view that was separate from the image of the whole room. Likewise, they didn't "scroll," they showed a movie of the camera panning from one point to another. Those movies were made in some other program like Blender or Lightwave or something.

Anyway, those games were made in Flash, which is designed to play sequential frames like a movie. You could do the same in Construct, but you'd have to create your own method of showing those frames. Depending on how big you want your game to be you could be eating up VRAM pretty quick with a lot of fullscreen frames like that.

I'd stick with a more traditional 2d point-and-click adventure style. Without a reliable AVI object this kind of game visual would be difficult to do.

• I'm not talking about doing it in 3d. But with 2d images.

For example here is a game that uses (i think) microsoft photosynth to do the zooming and scrolling.

It's really cool and i'm not aiming this high but the zooming and scrolling is what i want..

http://www.gamedesignreviews.com/trauma/

• It looks to me like there is a 3D engine controlling the positioning of those 2D photos. Technically, yes you could do something like this in Construct. Others have made 3D engines, so the proof of concept is there. But what you're asking for is very complex and would be difficult to make, probably even for an advanced user who is familiar with all the 3D math required.

• Allright, it was just a test that i wanted to try.

I have to do random stuff before and learn the basics of construct before starting on a bigger game.

I have alot of random ideas that i dont have a clue how to solve but i'm working my way there...with little bit of help

• really, could you give us a hint and ETA on it ?

Well, I'm watching that video and all I can say is no fancy transitions (at least for now).

Yes to photographs and some limited animation (via animated gifs).

Web based.

February 2010. I hope.

I'll announce friggin everywhere I can so if you're around you'll probably hear about it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)