So how would I program sliding and jumping

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on candies, collect candies and earn score!!!
  • Could someone explain to me how to program in sliding and jumping in a platformer

So far I've tried making it move towards .angle when you release the key but that doesn't really work and I can't figure out jumping at all

• What's wrong with the Platform object? It does jumping automatically, and sliding could be done easily by changing the deceleration settings when you press the slide button, and changing it back when the slide is over.

• What's wrong with the Platform object? It does jumping automatically, and sliding could be done easily by changing the deceleration settings when you press the slide button, and changing it back when the slide is over.

I dunno, I feel like I'm cheating when I make things using it.

• Well, don't. It's there for a reason. There is no sense in trying to reinvent the wheel, and there's no shame in using the tools that have been made available to you. The default Platform Behavior is very customizable, it should be able to do what you want for the most part.

And I would suggest that by the time you're done modding the basic Platform Behavior to do what you need (and you will) then you will probably have enough experience to tackle making a 100% custom engine if you still feel like it. Doing a custom platform engine in Construct probably (definitely) isn't a good first project, start smaller.

• Well, don't. It's there for a reason. There is no sense in trying to reinvent the wheel, and there's no shame in using the tools that have been made available to you. The default Platform Behavior is very customizable, it should be able to do what you want for the most part.

And I would suggest that by the time you're done modding the basic Platform Behavior to do what you need (and you will) then you will probably have enough experience to tackle making a 100% custom engine if you still feel like it. Doing a custom platform engine in Construct probably (definitely) isn't a good first project, start smaller.

It's not really my first project, and some of the crap in my game is going to be really hard to do using the built in behavior.

• If you don't know how to solve the simple basics of a platformer, then man you're not yet ready making your own engine.. start small. because when you start big you never finish anything

• It's not really my first project

Okay, fair enough. You can set the X and Y positions of a sprite like you would in any other game maker or programming language. They're basic actions.

You can test for overlap with the Overlap condition so you can push your player out of solids with a loop. And you can use a private variable that changes acceleration value over time to add or subtract how many pixels per cycle you should be moving your player sprite when jumping. And since you've made other projects before, I'm sure you'll have no problem translating that knowledge to Construct once you're more familiar with the interface. The methods and practices in Construct aren't any different than other game making tools... it's just a difference in "syntax," so to speak.

And though hero_bash might sound a little blunt, he's right... if you can't work out how to make a simple jump, then whatever else you need to do that "is going to be really hard to do using the built in behavior" is going to be a little out of your league at the moment.

I would recommend taking some tutorials and looking through other people's work in the uploads section so you can get a feel for the differences between Construct and whatever other environment it is that you're used to. Make some small games and experiments. Then go tackling your own custom engine if you want.

And when that time comes, you'll get a lot more help by posting your work and asking specific questions about what's wrong, rather than just asking general theory questions with no work to show.

• > It's not really my first project

>

Okay, fair enough. You can set the X and Y positions of a sprite like you would in any other game maker or programming language. They're basic actions.

You can test for overlap with the Overlap condition so you can push your player out of solids with a loop. And you can use a private variable that changes acceleration value over time to add or subtract how many pixels per cycle you should be moving your player sprite when jumping. And since you've made other projects before, I'm sure you'll have no problem translating that knowledge to Construct once you're more familiar with the interface. The methods and practices in Construct aren't any different than other game making tools... it's just a difference in "syntax," so to speak.

And though hero_bash might sound a little blunt, he's right... if you can't work out how to make a simple jump, then whatever else you need to do that "is going to be really hard to do using the built in behavior" is going to be a little out of your league at the moment.

I would recommend taking some tutorials and looking through other people's work in the uploads section so you can get a feel for the differences between Construct and whatever other environment it is that you're used to. Make some small games and experiments. Then go tackling your own custom engine if you want.

And when that time comes, you'll get a lot more help by posting your work and asking specific questions about what's wrong, rather than just asking general theory questions with no work to show.

I've really never been able to figure out how to make jumping, so thanks. I never really put enough thought into it, I guess.

• if you cant really think of how to go about making a custom engine, you shouldnt be using/making one atm. the collision detection alone can be quite difficult. not to mention accel and decel

• I've really never been able to figure out how to make jumping, so thanks. I never really put enough thought into it, I guess.

Then I'm kind of curious what other projects you've made before. You were a member at the Mario Fan Games Galaxy, yes? How was it that you made a Mario fan game without jumping?

Look, I'm not meaning to sound like an ass or anything here. It's apparent that you're new at this. As a beginner, you need to start off at a beginner's level. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Go through the Ghost Shooter tutorial to get a feel for how Construct works. Then move on to my Platform School tutorial. Those will both give you a good, solid foundation to working with Construct. And when you're done with Platform School (or should I say... when I'm done ), you should be able to make a Mario fan game. It is, after all, pretty much a template on how to make a Mario game. You can find the tutorials here: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/c ... =Tutorials

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ive worked pretty extensively on modding the platform behavior from the base plugin and it can do anything you want. there is really no use in making your own because its made for you and its pretty easily built up and modded.

Especially if you don't know how to program jumping there is a good chance it would be hard for you to use concepts such as time delta to make your characters run/Jump/Walk smoothly. You would also need to program a whole separate movement system for your enemies.

As stated Above take a look at the tuts and other caps to see what has been done and can be done with the built in movements there is no need to feel like you have not done anything because there is plenty of other stuff to code.

• Ive worked pretty extensively on modding the platform behavior from the base plugin and it can do anything you want.

Except 360 degree loops, like in Sonic. Nobody's made a good example of how to do that with the platform behavior yet. I'm quite certain that would require a custom engine.

But for just about every other kind of platforming trick, then yeah using the built in behavior is the way to go.

• > I've really never been able to figure out how to make jumping, so thanks. I never really put enough thought into it, I guess.

>

Then I'm kind of curious what other projects you've made before. You were a member at the Mario Fan Games Galaxy, yes? How was it that you made a Mario fan game without jumping?

Look, I'm not meaning to sound like an ass or anything here. It's apparent that you're new at this. As a beginner, you need to start off at a beginner's level. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Go through the Ghost Shooter tutorial to get a feel for how Construct works. Then move on to my Platform School tutorial. Those will both give you a good, solid foundation to working with Construct. And when you're done with Platform School (or should I say... when I'm done ), you should be able to make a Mario fan game. It is, after all, pretty much a template on how to make a Mario game. You can find the tutorials here: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/c ... =Tutorials

Thanks. And about the mfgg thing, I was never really in to Mario. I just liked the forum's members and discussions and such. For the most I usually made small rpg's, but never really finished them.

• my 2 cents: there's nothing wrong with using the built in behavior for a movement engine. The platform behavior pretty much covers the basic moving and jumping aspect. As deadeye said, don't bother reinventing the wheel. And besides, the basic platform behavior is entirely customizable and you can easily add things onto it. You mentioned you feel like you're cheating while using it: programmers use built in libraries all the time. Are the dev's of construct cheating when they use the box 2d physics engine? no, physics engines are tough to program. Do console games cheat when they base their game off the unreal engine? hardly, what's wrong with using a great base to save time? Actually, aren't you cheating by using construct to make your game? why don't you go ahead and learn c++ so it's totally legit. actually, would'nt that be cheating? go and learn machine code. You know what, go ahead and build your own computer from minerals YOU mined. Cast a case, circuit board, screen, and everything else. THEN, program your own bios, OS, and distribute these pc's to most of the world so they can play your not-at-all-cheaply-made game. You see, if everyone had the mindset that using what has already been made perfectly (or well enough) is cheating, then we would probably still be in the stone age. This little example should make you realize that everything you know and love today was built upon things that other people made and expanded on. So... i hope that you think using the platfrom behavior is perfectly ok now!

• hehe, lol davios post

i really should get around to making a sonic syle loop shouldnt I? maybe ill make a tut.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)